Help me decide on new tires

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires do seem to get really good reviews and at $122 each (from tirerack) seem to be my current fav to get.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=35WR8FHI5XL&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Mustang+Fastback&autoModClar=EcoBoost+I4

Still researching but thanks to all the replies getting closer to a decision, lol.

TC
There's a whole host of forum members who love theirs, as do two of my coworkers. You'll enjoy the grip difference from the AS tires. The car will be a lot more fun to drive.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There's a whole host of forum members who love theirs, as do two of my coworkers. You'll enjoy the grip difference from the AS tires. The car will be a lot more fun to drive.
Hey Bmac, guess what, I lived in Naperville for 40 years before moving down here to Florida.

Lived in the townhome development just north of the Route 59 & Gowdy road intersection.

TC :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bmac, guess what, I lived in Naperville for 40 years before moving down here to Florida.

Lived in the townhome development just north of the Route 59 & Gowdy road intersection.

TC :)
Ha! Small world. That's less than half a mile from me.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have exactly 15k miles on my Firehawk Indy 500 tires....I love them. At this point my stock Pirelli tires were bald out back.

Here is is what the fronts look like.
IMG_5628.jpg

And the rears.
IMG_5629.jpg

Keep in mind I have a staggered setup so the wear will be quite different on a square. I'd say the rears still have a good 3k-5k miles left before I hit the wear bars and the front's are closer to 7k-10k miles.

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4 of the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's reserved at my local tire place, they should be able to install them on Thurs.

Have seen nothing but great comments on this tire, car will only be driven here in 45F or above weather with no snow or ice, can't see spending $50 more a tire for all-seasons.

TC

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have 4 of the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's reserved at my local tire place, they should be able to install them on Thurs.

Have seen nothing but great comments on this tire, car will only be driven here in 45F or above weather with no snow or ice, can't see spending $50 more a tire for all-seasons.

TC
They'll do great at 45 degrees...they do fine all the way below freezing.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

They'll do great at 45 degrees...they do fine all the way below freezing.
Those Fire Hawk's have a great price. I'm almost due for tires. What would you estimate for mileage you'll get out of the fronts and rears on a staggered setup?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Those Fire Hawk's have a great price. I'm almost due for tires. What would you estimate for mileage you'll get out of the fronts and rears on a staggered setup?
The pics I posted are at 15k miles. I'll likely be replacing the rears close at close to 20k miles and the fronts at close to 25-28k miles. No burnouts, no track time and only spirited every day driving.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
TiresPlus got the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires in one day, had them installed yesterday, out the door price for four 235 50R/18's was $640 and that's before a $60 manufacture rebate which I filled out online afterwards.

Of course on the 12 mile trip home of which half was city and half was 70mph expressway the tires felt great. Made a very sharp (legal in Florida all over the place) u-turn to head home in the other direction and the grip was amazing.

Tires seemed nice and quiet very impressed, the tire apparently is semi low profile, has a very nice almost race tire look to it. Not sure it is the prettiest tire in the world but all I have every had on my the cars in the past were mostly Goodyears, just a different look I guess.

Obviously still need to see how they do in the rain and how the tread holds up over time, will make a post here when they reach 5,000 miles and their first tire rotation.

TC

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
TiresPlus got the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires in one day, had them installed yesterday, out the door price for four 235 50R/18's was $640 and that's before a $60 manufacture rebate which I filled out online afterwards.

Of course on the 12 mile trip home of which half was city and half was 70mph expressway the tires felt great. Made a very sharp (legal in Florida all over the place) u-turn to head home in the other direction and the grip was amazing.

Tires seemed nice and quiet very impressed, the tire apparently is semi low profile, has a very nice almost race tire look to it. Not sure it is the prettiest tire in the world but all I have every had on my the cars in the past were mostly Goodyears, just a different look I guess.

Obviously still need to see how they do in the rain and how the tread holds up over time, will make a post here when they reach 5,000 miles and their first tire rotation.

TC
These tires look amazing with some tire shine. I love the look of the tread and the shoulders rolling over on the edges with the tread do give it a very aggressive look. For the price, I don't think you can even come close to finding another tire that will compare. As long as Firestone keeps making them, I'll keep buying em.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how well they do in the rain. :thumbsup:

WOTPULLS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 and 2015 Mustang GT, Roush Supercharged,
I know this isnt on your list.... but the Nitto Nt555 G2 aren't that bad of a choice as well. They are considerably better than factory but still have good wear characteristics.
Sponsored