OEM Rear Bumper Cover Replacement Options

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Curious if anyone could help me out there. With recently getting rear ended by a semi truck, I may need to just swap out the whole bumper cover depending what my shop says today. I was looking at the options on levittown and here is my question:

I have a Premium, which comes with this bumper cover at $329:

https://parts.levittownfordparts.co...835ba/?c=aT1KQzE1ODcwNSZyPWxheWVyXzEmYT1mb3Jk

BUT - I have an aftermarket diffuser which requires me to obviously remove the Premium diffuser. So would I be able to use GT350 bumper cover? I believe the clip insert areas are the same it's just cheaper because it doesn't include the Premium diffuser i'd have to cut again. Comes in at $237:

https://parts.levittownfordparts.co...835ac/?c=aT1KQzE1ODc3NSZyPWxheWVyXzEmYT1mb3Jk

Also, why do the bumper covers have a core charge and require a core exchange? What exactly would need to be shipped back? Thanks guys!
Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
First things first...glad you are ok. Second, which body shop are you using (or I should rephrase, which body shop is your insurance carrier making you use).

As for your questions about the core charge, I know you would have to ship your original bumper back to Ford and they would charge you if the bumper was not the same (i.e. sending in a GT-bumper when buying a GT-350 bumper).

As for why there is a core charge...I would guess it would be so ford can re-mold the bumper if necessary so they can re-sell it - but this is pure speculation.

Glad you are ok.

OP
OP
furiousfuria

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
First things first...glad you are ok. Second, which body shop are you using (or I should rephrase, which body shop is your insurance carrier making you use).

As for your questions about the core charge, I know you would have to ship your original bumper back to Ford and they would charge you if the bumper was not the same (i.e. sending in a GT-bumper when buying a GT-350 bumper).

As for why there is a core charge...I would guess it would be so ford can re-mold the bumper if necessary so they can re-sell it - but this is pure speculation.

Glad you are ok.
Hey Jason, right now I am going through Endless Auto Body. I go to them with all of my body work, great guys. Currently the repair estimate is at around $900 so I was seeing if it would be cheaper to have the owner of the carnival company buy a new cover and have it painted. Probably going to end up around the same as the repair price though (hey, new is better than repairing haha)

and that makes sense about the core charge!

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
What route did you end up taking? I’m now in the same boat. Someone got me in a parking lot.

tripp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The cores are not reused, and only the bare minimum of the old bumper's carcass needs to be returned with the part number label and barcode intact.
They put cores on bumpers, lights, etc to deter aftermarket reproduction. It's an admittedly stupid process.
Sponsored