Sponsored

Black roof - paint vs vynil

jhenley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
I didn’t buy a car with a black roof, but I’m wanting one now. Would there be a big cost difference between painting and wrapping? I’d go for an OEM-quality paint job, not Maaco or Fact-o-bake. Is vynil a somewhat permanent solution or does it have a fairly short lifetime?
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i had my last car roof wrapped. id go for that as you would at least get several years out of it if done properly.

OP
OP

jhenley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Will the paint underneath the vynil be harmed any?

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I vote go with **VINYL*** for your roof wrap. I am a professional wrap installer as well as work closely with a body shop that paints high caliber cars. Your looking for perfection, I can understand that. make sure to use a high quality film, a brand new micro suede squeege to prevent scratching the film, and a good installer. I highly recommend throwing a ceramic coating or have them lay a high quality PPF (Paint Protection Film) over the vinyl wrap if you are really looking for the longest possible solution.

The downside to vinyl is that it is easily burned in the hot temps by water/ environmental debris. You can't do anything other than a very light polish with a soft pad to remove minor scratching, this is what limits its life on a vehicle.

Vinyl is good for resale, I personally would be turned off if I was looking at a mustang with the roof painted black. What if I wanted to run stripes down the car and loose that effect because the roof is all black? food for thought.

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corvette Grand Sport w/Z07, 2011 Golf TDI
I vinyl wrapped my roof black when I bought it. Looks pretty damn good. Installer said the life of the vinyl should be around 5-7 years if it's garaged and 3-4 if kept outside. My car is garaged and not taken out too often. Have had it on almost 3 years now and have experienced no fade. If I ever want to have a white roof again, I will just remove the vinyl. Cost me $220 for install.
Sponsored