Sponsored

MGW race spec/ xpec review and fix

Blauplow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So I started out with the MGW race spec, short stick and it was smooth as silk. Absolutely no NVH, and install was a breeze. They only thing I didnt like was it was too short for me and too smooth for my taste. Its just a spirited grocery getter and gym car, otherwise if it was my DD I would have stuck with the Race spec.

So I opted for the X Spec upper with the flat stick. Install again was very simple, and that dang rubber boot was much easier to install after its been broken in. I LOVE this setup, much more precise and bolt action rifle type shifts. Slightly more NVH, but thats only if I am TRYING to listen to for it. Now my only complaint was the transition from the lock nut to the flat stick drove me nuts. So I made this last night. I contemplated filing down the flat stick but didnt want to ruin it or try to paint match the black.

started with 1/8 aluminum, cut a square, threaded it, marked it, cut it to fit, filed the profile, sanded out the marks, polished.

I installed with a rubber oring on top of the transition so I could torque down the lock nut then slightly back off to lock on the ball keeping tension on both the ball and the transition piece.

I am much happier with it and it is now flawless in my opinion. My only struggle now is if I want to paint the transition piece black or leave it. What do you guys think I should do?

25430972227_996ca6e9d0_c.jpg
1 by Andrew Blau, on Flickr

26429847828_5a445a438b_c.jpg
2 by Andrew Blau, on Flickr

25430972547_623f1fca73_c.jpg
3 by Andrew Blau, on Flickr

26429848738_56dcecbeda_c.jpg
4 by Andrew Blau, on Flickr

25430972867_6a974797fb_c.jpg
5 by Andrew Blau, on Flickr

26429849438_c3ba15c579_c.jpg
6 by Andrew Blau, on Flickr
Sponsored

Last edited:

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
Dang that’s pretty neat. Looks professional or like it came like that

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Leave it how it is, you don't need to paint that. Looks great!

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
That looks nice, I'm also in the market for a shifter and right now I'm set on getting a MGW as well. Quick question, is your X-Spec the standard or the lower profile one? I'm trying to figure out which one will fit my sitting position best and 4% throw difference between the two won't be noticeable, so I'm more interested in how tall they are. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blauplow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
That looks nice, I'm also in the market for a shifter and right now I'm set on getting a MGW as well. Quick question, is your X-Spec the standard or the lower profile one? I'm trying to figure out which one will fit my sitting position best and 4% throw difference between the two won't be noticeable, so I'm more interested in how tall they are. Thanks!
Their is no option for length on the flat stick, but it is taller than the lower/shorter profile and much better imo. The shorter one was annoying in 2,4,6 gear as I couldn't get a good grip on the rearward part of ball due to resting against the trim bezel. So I would go x spec w/ normal height or flat stick.

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
Where is the option for the flat stick on their site and does it come with the grommet?

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Just pulled the trigger and ordered a X-Spec (Standard height) with a OEM shift knob adapter. Still waiting for my quick jack to arrive so I can start installing all the mods laying in my living room...

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I have the race spec with the short stick. I can't compare it to anything but as my daily I was worried about NVH and it's a non issue. I would recommend highly

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I have the race spec with the short stick. I can't compare it to anything but as my daily I was worried about NVH and it's a non issue. I would recommend highly
How much shorter than the OEM stick is the low profile MGW stick?

Sponsored

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
Was wondering where to select the option for the flat stick too. I don't see it on their website or anywhere else