DSS Aluminum Vibs

GRABBERBLUE17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GRABBER BLUE GT PREMIUM
I too ordered from a "very reputable sponsor" here, but they are holding firm that they need a professional shop to determine that its the shaft that is faulty. Until then they are holding firm on this portion of their return policy:

"We will not accept a return of an item that is damaged or defective if it has been used/installed please inspect all orders as soon as you receive them and contact HERE within 72 hours."

I am also talking to DSS direct, but looking like they are leaning towards blaming my Steeda poly diff bushings :doh:. Now Steeda sells DSS shafts, should I see what they have to say...seems like it couldn't hurt.

Car is back to smooth as glass with the stock shaft, but iv got what's looking more and more like a $760 aluminum turd laying on my garage floor.
Total BS that the vendor won't take care of it. Hope it's not the same vendor I bought from.

Did you happen to pay for the driveshaft with a major credit card? A lot of the big CC companies will refund your money if you have a problem with something you purchased.

My driveshaft will be here in a few days. I'll put it on and see what happens.
Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Was the packaging intact on delivery? Freight handling problems could easily lead to a bent shaft. I’ve seen 6” aluminum tubing bend without much effort.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Was the packaging intact on delivery? Freight handling problems could easily lead to a bent shaft. I’ve seen 6” aluminum tubing bend without much effort.
Packaging was all good, visual inspection prior to install,everything checked out, U-Joint was free/smooth, CV was free/smooth and CV tolerance was just a hair over 3.25 inches (all good according to DSS). I proceeded with install since all was good and now stuck with it because of it. I got cut off with the vendor this morning so starting to assume they are done dealing with me.

I am willing to work with it, but since I tried all 6 bolt positions on the diff side, I don't have much hope, and am not going to install it again just pay to have a shop tell me what I already know and risk breaking something else.

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a DSS shaft/MT-82 and don't have any vibration issues/noises. I was concerned about that prior to the install, but I didn't end up needing to look for solutions. However, I remember reading a number of threads in which people were able to correct the problem by changing the pinion angle. They would shim the crossmember. I believe Kelly at BMR had wrote a post about it. May be worthwhile to contact him or search for the thread before giving up.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Some good news, looks like DSS is going to let me send it in to have it checked out, all good with me, if they tell me its good or send another ill give it another shot. They have been a lot more willing to work with me than the vendor I purchased it from.

Sponsored

GRABBERBLUE17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GRABBER BLUE GT PREMIUM
Some good news, looks like DSS is going to let me send it in to have it checked out, all good with me, if they tell me its good or send another ill give it another shot. They have been a lot more willing to work with me than the vendor I purchased it from.
Glad to hear that DSS is stepping up and taking care of it!

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Vendor did call me back today and said they had been in contact with DSS, so they are working on making this right too; but within their return policy. At least I am not left completely hanging, however still faced with possibly having to deal with a shaft that doesn't work well with my car if it comes down to trans/diff angles being the problem and having to shim the trans to "make it work" or sell it private party if I decide not to deal with it.

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I can relate all too well. I have since put the stock shaft back in my car and it will stay there. My first aluminum ds experience was with my 2006 GTO and it worked great for a summer. Then the car started to shake worse and worse at higher speeds. Sent the shaft in and they said it was good, re balanced it and sent it back. Didn't fix the problem. They did agree to send me a new shaft and that did work but I sold it and put the stocker back in.

Fast forward to my 15' GT. Put one in when I did the clutch and worked fine for a summer or so. Broke an axle at the track, once the axle was fixed, car had a similar shake that my GTO did. Same story, vendor took care of me but I sold the shaft and put the stock on back in and will likely never buy another aftermarket DS ever again.

Always seem to end up with problems at some point and aren't worth the $800 just to save 12lbs or whatever it is they save.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can relate all too well. I have since put the stock shaft back in my car and it will stay there. My first aluminum ds experience was with my 2006 GTO and it worked great for a summer. Then the car started to shake worse and worse at higher speeds. Sent the shaft in and they said it was good, re balanced it and sent it back. Didn't fix the problem. They did agree to send me a new shaft and that did work but I sold it and put the stocker back in.

Fast forward to my 15' GT. Put one in when I did the clutch and worked fine for a summer or so. Broke an axle at the track, once the axle was fixed, car had a similar shake that my GTO did. Same story, vendor took care of me but I sold the shaft and put the stock on back in and will likely never buy another aftermarket DS ever again.

Always seem to end up with problems at some point and aren't worth the $800 just to save 12lbs or whatever it is they save.
Who manufactured the driveshaft ?

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have a Shaftmasters. It'll be coming off this year. I'm done with fighting it.

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Stock driveshaft

If you have FI and launch with sticky tires, be careful with the stock driveshaft. The pics below show what I discovered with mine.
IMG_1107.PNG
IMG_1108.PNG

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vibration issues must be related to the pinion angles being different from car to car, that's the beauty of the oem 2 piece design it's very forgiving. Unfortunately it wasn't designed for high horsepower and huge traction when leaving the line, the fact that the driveshaft length is pretty long doesn't help matters either. In the old fox body days the motorsport aluminium driveshaft was the go to unit and never had any issues.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you have FI and launch with sticky tires, be careful with the stock driveshaft. The pics below show what I discovered with mine.
Looks like the shaft is slipping out of the yolk along with the guibo being twisted.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
QA1 CF driveshaft. No vibration on my car. Lowered, solid diff bushings...
Sponsored