Sponsored

What did you do to your Aussie S550 today..

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Manual GT, S2000, 350z, MT-03
I just got a pair of wide semi slicks (Toyo R888 315/30/20) for better traction on the rears.

Quick phone photo, proper pics to come

So far, there is much much better grip and I can finally accelerate without wheelspin in 2nd (haven't tried them in the wet, wish me luck!)

So, any opinions regarding using semis on the rear and street compounds on the fronts (in my case, nitto Invo)?

:shrug:
received_10155733259279400.jpeg
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I'll take punt and say

Dry

Cold = oversteer as the fronts will grip more than the rear
Warm = oversteer as the rears grip and (particularly with the amount of grunt you're making) push the fronts noting the fronts will also lose grip more quickly if you're pushing hard for a while.

Wet (assuming cold and wet in SA rather than say Qld wet)

Cold - oversteer! Potentially tail happy under brakes. Prob still better than PZeros :eyebulge:
Warm - reasonable front to rear balance with a tendency to oversteer.

Keen to hear about the field testing.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
I'd say they will be sensational in the dry and sensationally scary in the wet!

Wow 315's. What offset is on your wheels? I'm assuming they are 11.5" at minimum. I would have thought you would have fender rubbing plus suspension clearance issues.

I originally got 10.5" on the rears with 35mm offset but one fender rubs. So I'm changing wheels to 11" but with a 50mm offset, (close to stock) and it just clears all around. Mine is lowered 30mm so if you haven't lowered then the fender rubbing may not be an issue.

Since I switched to 275 front 305 rear Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S I cannot believe the difference In grip, its chalk and cheese, day and night, etc. All the usual spots on the daily drive where the Pirelli's were stuttering, spinning and sliding the Michelins just grip and go. Now I can put my foot down off the mark with confidence, its just so fantastic, after a year of babying the beast I can now unleash it!

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
My Mustang was in for its 12 month service. Had a 4 banger loan car

IMG_20171003_140032.jpg

Not a bad car but nice to get the GT back

Sponsored

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)

Wow 315's. What offset is on your wheels? I'm assuming they are 11.5" at minimum. I would have thought you would have fender rubbing plus suspension clearance issues.

I originally got 10.5" on the rears with 35mm offset but one fender rubs. So I'm changing wheels to 11" but with a 50mm offset, (close to stock) and it just clears all around. Mine is lowered 30mm so if you haven't lowered then the fender rubbing may not be an issue.

Since I switched to 275 front 305 rear Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S I cannot believe the difference In grip, its chalk and cheese, day and night, etc. All the usual spots on the daily drive where the Pirelli's were stuttering, spinning and sliding the Michelins just grip and go. Now I can put my foot down off the mark with confidence, its just so fantastic, after a year of babying the beast I can now unleash it!
My particular car has a cradle alignment issue where the rear wheels sit about 8mm or so to the left (ie I get poke on the left compared to right)

I'm running 20x12 wheels with +53 offset and it tucks nicely on the right and pokes on the left. Seriously considering just pulling out the guard on the left to make it work perfectly cosmetically (or maybe it's cheaper to buy one koya wheel with a different offset haha)

Lowered on Eibach sportlines surprisingly no issues with tyre touching guards :)

So far I've noticed nothing but more grip in all situations, but the difference in rear traction between wet and dry is significant and constantly something I am taking into account in the wet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros

Do you mind me asking where you found the 4s in those sizes, and how much? Can pm me if you like. Either those or the pss will replace my 275/315 shitto invos. Coilovers going on soon, so 305 may give me a little extra room to drop

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I didn't get 4s, I actually have Nitto Invo 275 30 20 front and Toyo r888 315 30 20 rears. Toyo r888 were from ebay, St George Tyres have an ebay store selling them :)
Lol, wasn't talking to you ;) Mr [MENTION=27099]Flying Fiz[/MENTION] says he has the 4s

But to you I say - I got my nittos from st george but probably won't use them again. Tyres were like 4-5 years old, and omg did one rear need balancing :eyebulge: they were ridiculously cheap though

Sponsored

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you mind me asking where you found the 4s in those sizes, and how much? Can pm me if you like. Either those or the pss will replace my 275/315 shitto invos. Coilovers going on soon, so 305 may give me a little extra room to drop
Hi,
I spoke to two shops about fitting them and they both were ordering them direct from Michelin, and they were in stock. None of these shops have these sorts of tyres lying about so they always order them direct for specific orders. When I ordered them one of the guys said that the rears PS 4's 305/30/20 were in short supply but available, so maybe out of stock now until next shipment.

I believe stock price (and there's not much wriggle room) is $550 each for the 275 fronts and $750 each for the 305 rears so $2,600 for the set, not cheap but worth it in my view.

Cheers,
Phil

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
My particular car has a cradle alignment issue where the rear wheels sit about 8mm or so to the left (ie I get poke on the left compared to right)
Interesting, is this with one of the Steeda cradle alignment kits fitted?

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, is this with one of the Steeda cradle alignment kits fitted?
Yeah! But it didn't completely fix the issue. Honestly the best fix for me is probably getting a custom offset wheel which Koya can make for like 600 bucks haha. No noticeable impact on handling btw

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I'm hearing on a regular basis, this batch of Mustang GT's has alignment issues. If you check you will find that the passenger rear tyre is WAAY closer to the fender than the driver rear tyre. It becomes immediately noticeable when you add wider tyres and lower the car. Make sure that any new rear wheels have at least 50mm offset otherwise you are running a risk of hitting the passenger rear fender with the top of the tyre or sidewall. Lots of wheels being sold for this car only have 35 or 38mm offsets and if you have gone wide and low you will rub.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Tien you've probably just twisted the chassis doing dig starts with 600hp :thumbsup:

Flying Fiz when you say 'this batch' do you have any batch details? Mine is a 17 like yours and Tien's. Just measured mine horizontally between the rim and a straight edge held vertically against the flat outer guard lip, seems the same on both sides. Lol I'll probably create a problem now by fitting the Steeda alignment kit.
Sponsored

Last edited: