Sponsored

Cow bell shifting from P to D

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Hey Guys

I have a cow bell sound when shifting from P to D.
I also notice it when i come to a quick stop and its starting to make me a bit nervous. Any idea what can cause this? Im tuned so the dealer might tell me to get lost if trying to get this done under warranty.

Its a metal sound like you hit a cow bell, dosnt always happen. Ive noticed it more often when its cold but im not sure this is relevant
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Normal. Just the slack in the drivetrain.

Ilovemyv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th An. Race Red Auto
The last time I had a loud noise from the drive train like that, many moons ago, it was needle bearings in the universal joint.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I imagine it cant be too normal. Car didint start doing it until the last month or so (ive had it for about 6 months) Im hearing it more often, not sure what i want to do with it

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
When u park your car put your trans in neutral first,then apply parking brake,the put it in park.This takes all the pressure of the parking lever inside the tranns.See if that helps.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
+1 for ring and pinion slack. When you put in D the driveshaft turns slightly freely then clanks the slack up. The sound reverberates through everything. Just search all the "clunk" threads. same thing, just not quite as bad on the autos.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
When u park your car put your trans in neutral first,then apply parking brake,the put it in park.This takes all the pressure of the parking lever inside the tranns.See if that helps.
that gets rid of the sound. I just leave the ebrake on from park to D and back and no cow bell sound

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
+1 for ring and pinion slack. When you put in D the driveshaft turns slightly freely then clanks the slack up. The sound reverberates through everything. Just search all the "clunk" threads. same thing, just not quite as bad on the autos.
so with the ebrake on it wont make the sound. Part replacement or normal operation?

Sponsored

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
I had this sound before taking car in for drive-line vibration issue. Ford tech found excessive play between the drive shaft and the yoke. Ended up replacing the drive shaft and transmission flange due to being out of spec. The drive line clunk is gone but still had to use a hose clamp to on car balance the drive shaft.
Car had 10k miles when drive line parts were replaced. Pushing 40k mile now and no clunk.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I had this sound before taking car in for drive-line vibration issue. Ford tech found excessive play between the drive shaft and the yoke. Ended up replacing the drive shaft and transmission flange due to being out of spec. The drive line clunk is gone but still had to use a hose clamp to on car balance the drive shaft.
Car had 10k miles when drive line parts were replaced. Pushing 40k mile now and no clunk.
Thanks man. Might make since I got the drive line vibrations too. Might have them check both but my dealers have been completely useless

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
I just want to update this in case anyone finds this thread through searching the problem.

It was the driveshaft. It got replaced problem went away. Also i had a vibration / high speed spinning type sound around 70-75mph and it also fixed that.

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)