mustang v8 r/h/d to come
hi all
does anyone notice a grinding whining noise thru transmission lever area
mine is awful in 1st 3rd and 5th
goes away if you lift up the reverse lockout ring
been in to gates stevenage today
their tech has heard it and said it didn't sound right
said their demo car is noisy in 2nd 4th and 6th
they tried to quieten mine down by stuffing area with sound insulation but still the same
said they don't know why this is but cant do any more as ford wont pay for it
here we go again !!!!!
f**king dealer service dept and ford warranty dept refusing to solve the problem
a lengthy battle is on again
can everyone check theirs and send feedback as if its just mine I will show the dealer the feedback and ask if this is normal why does others not do it
feed back will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
No grinding noise with mine (@1400miles), but it does make a whine of sorts, particularly in 4th at lowish rpm. Not a patch on Subaru STI transmission noise though!:eyebulge:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
little bit of gearbox whine for me but last car had a straight cut sequential on it so i kinda like the whine.
usual clunk when engaging first thats about it.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have no grinding on mine at 3500.

Correct my stupidity for anyone more mechanically minded than myself, could it be as simple as the shift shaft is out of place and it's grinding against the gates, or that it needs lubricating, equally could need tranny fluid?

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well known on these gearboxes apparently, mine is noisy 1st /2nd especially when cold .Also clutch bearing can be noisy.
Some days its more noticeable, it doesn't bother me anymore!

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have no grinding on mine at 3500.

Correct my stupidity for anyone more mechanically minded than myself, could it be as simple as the shift shaft is out of place and it's grinding against the gates, or that it needs lubricating, equally could need tranny fluid?
Unlikely. Low fluid would mean noise in all gears and the fact it disappears when the collar is lifted is...strange.

These cars do have noisy transmissions though. Some are noisier than others so I guess it depends on what you can put up with.

Mine was absolutely silent until about 10K and now there's a bit of noise there when sat idling. As much as I dislike it because it wasn't there before, there are enough people mentioning transmission noise for it to make me think mine is not about to spew gearbox internals all over the road at some point.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

No gearbox noise on mine as such, all I can hear is differential whine when holding steady state throttle on the motorway at 60-80mph if I listen for it, which I think is pretty normal on these cars though I only started hearing it after removing rear seats for drag day, which now means I bloody listen for it lol......

Still the diff in the M3 is brand new and makes more noise so I think it is normal and no doubt amplified slightly by the steeda differential bushing inserts I have.

Sponsored

M1ke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, 1969 Chevelle, TVR Griffith, AM DB9
Yep, mine is noisy too. No grinding but definitely a whine, perhaps from the synchros because the noise changes if I hold onto the lever. Probably due to some good old American agricultural engineering. I’ll ask my dealer service guys to listen to it at the next visit.

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
Mine makes a kind of whirring noise in second, but no grinding between the gears.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yep, mine is noisy too. No grinding but definitely a whine, perhaps from the synchros because the noise changes if I hold onto the lever. Probably due to some good old American agricultural engineering. I’ll ask my dealer service guys to listen to it at the next visit.
Welcome to the forum Mike! Couldn't help but notice your impressive list of cars there! Any photos?

Let us know how you get on at the dealership, sounds the same as the issue I've had since day 1;

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106517

l30bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Shadow Edition
no grinding in mine, no whining, but it aint the slickest of boxes, even my ford kuga was a better gearbox, i find the changes in the mustang to be a bit agricutural, and takes a little effort to get it into the right gear....it actually reminds me of my old Civic Type R just not as refined!....

like trying to but a bullet in a gun after good night out....:-)

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Everyone that's having these whirling sounds in the lower gears, 1st and 2nd it's the thrust bearing, it's normal so don't worry.
Sponsored