Hood corrosion

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Well, Ford's Warranty center just said that because the hood doesn't have perforation (holes) they won't honor it under the corrosion warranty. What blows my mind is that they would honor it if it were an aluminum panel on a 2015 F-150.
Even though corporate told me to pound sand, the dealership warranty liaison is going to call them back and explain that kind of corrosion doesn't just happen in 3k miles, and that the number of '15 Mustangs they've had come in with the issue is proof enough that it should be warrantied.

I'm not hopeful. Time to start hood shopping I guess.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
That was predictable

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Just use some touch-up paint on those bare metal spots.
This will most likely be the case!

Still I wonder why all the fuzz putting a new hood on it while a spot repair would might have done the trick i.m.o.

I can't help it but I miss my hood or I need to get used to it again, the color, the alignment, even the flutter is different.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
This will most likely be the case!

Still I wonder why all the fuzz putting a new hood on it while a spot repair would might have done the trick i.m.o.

I can't help it but I miss my hood or I need to get used to it again, the color, the alignment, even the flutter is different.
From my understanding, the corrosion is on a chemical level of the metal. There is no spot repair that will prevent it from happening again. If you see it start to corrode, that means the aluminum was contaminated with iron dust before it was painted and will continue to corrode.
My dealership told me that the new hood is a 2016+ part and is covered by the 5/60k corrosion warranty which does not require perforation. Just make sure you have the paperwork stating the part number used during replacement.

edit:
Here's an article from February 2015 that's an interesting read.
TL;DR is that Ford (and other manufacturers) have been dealing with aluminum body panel corrosion for a while now.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-aluminum-cars-and-trucks/index.htm

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Well, Ford's Warranty center just said that because the hood doesn't have perforation (holes) they won't honor it under the corrosion warranty. What blows my mind is that they would honor it if it were an aluminum panel on a 2015 F-150.
Even though corporate told me to pound sand, the dealership warranty liaison is going to call them back and explain that kind of corrosion doesn't just happen in 3k miles, and that the number of '15 Mustangs they've had come in with the issue is proof enough that it should be warrantied.

I'm not hopeful. Time to start hood shopping I guess.
Did their official reply say something like "could not see holes" Denied.
That is exactly what my initial denial said. So the dealer and I scraped off the paint that was covering the corrosion and pitting and gently scrapped off the corrosion, documenting each step with photos, and resubmitted to Ford.
Their next reply was -"Approved-New hood". Read the Denial letter very carefully. I showed eroded pitting in my hood, not all the way through holes and got a new hood. In other words, the bubbled paint was covering the damaged aluminum, so they denied, even though everyone knows it's gavlinic corrosion, they denied the warranty the first time because we did not demonstrate "perforation in the aluminum" we sent pictures of bubbled paint. Send pictures of aluminum with pits eaten into it and you might get a whole different response. They of course write the warranty requirement in legal terms, and if you don't match/meet their defined legal terms in demonstrating your problem, they deny, based on legal interpretation, not the truth or whats morally right. you just have to know how to work within their defined system.

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Did their official reply say something like "could not see holes" Denied.
That is exactly what my initial denial said. So the dealer and I scraped off the paint that was covering the corrosion and pitting and gently scrapped off the corrosion, documenting each step with photos, and resubmitted to Ford.
Their next reply was -"Approved-New hood". Read the Denial letter very carefully. I showed eroded pitting in my hood, not all the way through holes and got a new hood. In other words, the bubbled paint was covering the damaged aluminum, so they denied, even though everyone knows it's gavlinic corrosion, they denied the warranty the first time because we did not demonstrate "perforation in the aluminum" we sent pictures of bubbled paint. Send pictures of aluminum with pits eaten into it and you might get a whole different response. They of course write the warranty requirement in legal terms, and if you don't match/meet their defined legal terms in demonstrating your problem, they deny, based on legal interpretation, not the truth or whats morally right. you just have to know how to work within their defined system.

That's exactly what it said, in fact the lady at the dealership advised me to do the same thing. She said to go at it with a credit card, plastic spudge tool, etc to flake off any paint that comes off easily, then to use a toothbrush to clear off the white powder, and take pictures, looking for any pitting. She said even though their denial was for no "perforation" that pitting was equivalent.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
The Chrysler Pacifica is rife with the same complaints with aluminum hood corrosion. You'd think in 2018 these companies would have their act together.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
My car is in for "repair" of hood corrosion this week. First, my dealer is terrible. I couldn't even get them to propose a new hood to ford. Instead, the car is getting the grind and refinish treatment. Also, I have a clear bra installed and they are not willing to replace it.

Question, how long is this repair covered? If this comes back in a year or two am I just SOL?

Who have you guys been talking to at ford to get a new 2016 hood?

Thanks!

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My car is in for "repair" of hood corrosion this week. First, my dealer is terrible. I couldn't even get them to propose a new hood to ford. Instead, the car is getting the grind and refinish treatment. Also, I have a clear bra installed and they are not willing to replace it.

Question, how long is this repair covered? If this comes back in a year or two am I just SOL?

Who have you guys been talking to at ford to get a new 2016 hood?

Thanks!
It's guaranteed to come back because your hood has metal contaminants. Repainting it isn't going to stop the internal chemical reaction. It's very much a temporary fix.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
^
absolutely right. they repainted my hood as well.
i didnt stick around long enough to find out

Sponsored

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Should I try to stop them and lobby for a new hood? My warranty is up 7/30 so I can't really drag my feet on this.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Should I try to stop them and lobby for a new hood? My warranty is up 7/30 so I can't really drag my feet on this.
Yup 100% go to a new dealership. Talk to the highest up person and explain that a new hood is a must. If they don't do that for you, start saving for an aftermarket hood.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Reference this TSB: TSB 17-0062

Aluminum Body Panel Corrosion Appearing as Bubbled or Peeling Paint – 2000-2017 Ford Lincoln Mercury

TSB 17-0062ALUMINUM PANEL CORROSIONPublication Date: August 23, 2017
FORD:2000-2003 Ranger
2005-2006 Ford GT
2000-2007 Crown Victoria, Taurus
2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac
2000-2017 Expedition
2002-2017 Explorer
2004-2017 F-150
2005-2017 Mustang
2013-2017 Fusion
2015-2017 Edge
2017 F-Super DutyLINCOLN:2000-2006 Lincoln LS
2000-2007 Town Car
2010-2016 MKT
2000-2017 Navigator
2013-2017 MKZ
2016-2017 MKXMERCURY:2003-2004 Marauder
2000-2007 Grand Marquis
2002-2007 Sable
2002-2010 MountaineerThis article supersedes TSB 16-0028 to update the update the model years, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:

Some 2000 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with aluminum body panels may exhibit corrosion concerns appearing as bubbled and/or peeling paint with or without accompanying white dust. Panel replacement is recommended.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the affected panel. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual (WSM), Section as required.
  1. Remove the new panel from the packaging and clean thoroughly using products recommended in your Ford approved paint system technical manual.
  1. Apply Lord Fusor® 123EZ, 3M™ 08329 or equivalent sealer. Allow it to flash per the sealer technical data sheet (TDS) information.
  1. Scuff sand the entire panel, then clean and apply the primer or sealer as recommended by your paint system.
  1. Mix and apply the base coat and clearcoat following your Ford approved paint system technical information.
  1. Install the new panel. Refer to the appropriate WSM section as required.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1349/alumin...-peeling-paint-2000-2016-ford-lincoln-mercury

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Got it! Thanks!

So this hood should be replaced with a new part number that "wont" have this issue? Did they update the process or something?

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Got it! Thanks!

So this hood should be replaced with a new part number that "wont" have this issue? Did they update the process or something?
They have allegedly updated the process. My local dealer is actually trying to see if they can work this out to replace my hood with fiberglass, with the understanding it would be voiding the corrosion warranty on the hood.
Sponsored