Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
As I mentioned, I got to drive COTA in the Dark. What an awesome experience.

This was my first time to COTA. I'd driven it quite a few times in games, but it never was my favorite track - it's quite technical and very hard to get right. You need to go slow in order to go fast. However, in person it's an entirely different story. It feels much faster than the game and definitely is rewarding for getting it right.

We spent the first 2 sessions learning the track and adjusting to the heat. It was 99 degrees and 60-70% humidity during sessions 1-3. Pretty nuts.

During session 3, we got to finally turn it up. Tires were dialed, I was getting comfortable on the track, and things felt good. Fastest of the session ended up being a 2:33.xx. Unfortunately my Solo 2 DL wasn't properly configured, so it wasn't storing lap times, only showing me live times. Whoops.

Here are a couple of laps.

After 25 mins of that, the checkered flag flew right as the car hit limp mode (I think). Temps looked to be around 240ish CHT, 283 oil, and 256 rear diff. The car flashed the Check engine light, the exhaust tone changed, and it was limited in RPM (felt around 3500, but didn't test it). After the back straight, it was back down to normal as temps were 10-15 degrees cooler. Never happened again the rest of the night. If anyone has insight, feel free to share :)

Session 4 it started to get dark. We started at twilight and went into the night. This legit felt like Forza. Unreal. Some video below. Spooky

Interesting was that lap times increased by 4-5 seconds even tho air temps were lower and grip was better. Guess self-preservation kicked in :D

Additional thoughts:
It was bloody hot. As mentioned, 99 degrees with 70% humidity. There were (4) ZLI 1LEs in my run group and none of them could last longer than 18 or so mins. They were a blast to run down. No doubt, they're faster than the 350 - but not by much. Very doable to keep up with on track - especially if they're a manual. They were losing ground needing to shift so much.

I was taking the esses in 4th to keep the RPMs down. 3rd allows you rotate the rear more, but temps were running 15 degrees hotter. I also never touched second on track. Really felt like it didn't need it. I left a lot of time on the table, but if you can carry more moment through Turn 1, turn 12 (back straight), and turn 20 (last turn), you can easily stay in 3rd.

High speed on the back straight was 161 mph. Going from 161 down to 35mph was epic. I have professional photos on the way that show the brakes glowing :)

Sway bars
the new bars felt great. I ran them on the softest setting up front and the stiffer setting in rear (OEM location). I definitely need more stiffness upfront - plan to move to the middle whole. No front splitter rub under braking/body roll compression, so mission accomplished.

7litergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4200), 1966 Fastback 427W
161 in the back straight :eek: That had to be a hell of a ride!

I wanna see these pictures you are talking about!

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
100F w/70% humidity is hot af

I've regularly tracked in 100F ....but with ~10-20% humidity

There was someone else on here who hit limp mode in a '17 at Yas Marina, so anything is possible.

Was the hood floating around a lot at the end of the straight?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
161 in the back straight :eek: That had to be a hell of a ride!

I wanna see these pictures you are talking about!
It's a hell of a track. I was super deep into 5th. Downshifting from 5th to 3rd was satisfying as hell!

Rear view mirror mod?
Cheap autozone mirror + a bit of hot glue :)

100F w/70% humidity is hot af

I've regularly tracked in 100F ....but with ~10-20% humidity

There was someone else on here who hit limp mode in a '17 at Yas Marina, so anything is possible.

Was the hood floating around a lot at the end of the straight?
Yeah, it was HOT. And it was fluttering pretty good. I'd really like to add vents.

Dang that sounded good.

What exhaust?
:D

Stock exhaust with an external mic in the trunk

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I did get to COTA After Dark after all. Dr. cleared me Tuesday before!

I saw you across the parking lot but never made it over to say hello. I was in the Yellow group and I think you were Red as you drove by my garage a few times (love that Ruby Red — awesome color at sunset).
It was hot: ambient temp readings for me were: 96/98/106/96/91 over the 5 sessions. Surprised it was still 91 degrees at 9:30 at night — but it is Texas....
- Never saw limp mode. Engine oil was 250-270 the whole time. Diff got up to about 200.
- My garage mates were: another GT350, a Boss 302, a Camaro and a Porsche GT3 (brand new!)
- Passed all of them in each session. The GT-3 was wicked fast on the straights but he wasn’t able to handle the technical parts. I’m sure once he gets comfortable in the car, he’ll be much faster.
- I was easy on the clutch and drove the track in 3rd except for the last 1/2 of the straights where I went to 4th. Could have shifted to 5th for about 100 yards or so, but wasn’t worth the effort. So I peaked at 140 on the straights.

Overall, the event was a blast and my garage mates were cool. We had a good time together. Will run with Edge Addicts again!

PS: My car is a 2016 Track Pack and the car/tires are essentially stock except for front camber was set to 3.3 degrees to help tire wear & grip.
- Have 8 track days on my PS2’s and its about time to replace the fronts.

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
Great stories and videos as always!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I did get to COTA After Dark after all. Dr. cleared me Tuesday before!

I saw you across the parking lot but never made it over to say hello. I was in the Yellow group and I think you were Red as you drove by my garage a few times (love that Ruby Red — awesome color at sunset).
It was hot: ambient temp readings for me were: 96/98/106/96/91 over the 5 sessions. Surprised it was still 91 degrees at 9:30 at night — but it is Texas....
- Never saw limp mode. Engine oil was 250-270 the whole time. Diff got up to about 200.
- My garage mates were: another GT350, a Boss 302, a Camaro and a Porsche GT3 (brand new!)
- Passed all of them in each session. The GT-3 was wicked fast on the straights but he wasn’t able to handle the technical parts. I’m sure once he gets comfortable in the car, he’ll be much faster.
- I was easy on the clutch and drove the track in 3rd except for the last 1/2 of the straights where I went to 4th. Could have shifted to 5th for about 100 yards or so, but wasn’t worth the effort. So I peaked at 140 on the straights.

Overall, the event was a blast and my garage mates were cool. We had a good time together. Will run with Edge Addicts again!

PS: My car is a 2016 Track Pack and the car/tires are essentially stock except for front camber was set to 3.3 degrees to help tire wear & grip.
- Have 8 track days on my PS2’s and its about time to replace the fronts.
Damn! I knew I should have PM'd you before the event. Something told me to, but got busy and forgot. Were you in a avalanche grey car?

Agreed. The event was a blast. Are you headed back for the Oct 6 & 7th event with them? Looks like I'll be headed back as well.

Great stories and videos as always!
Thanks, brother! Appreciate it :cheers:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Damn! I knew I should have PM'd you before the event. Something told me to, but got busy and forgot. Were you in a avalanche grey car?

Agreed. The event was a blast. Are you headed back for the Oct 6 & 7th event with them? Looks like I'll be headed back as well.

I was in the race red car. There was an avalanche gray in my garage and I noticed another one with a Team Shelby logo on the side that was in another run group. He seemed to get around pretty well too.

Want to do the Oct event. The local club guys want me to go to the NOLA event that I think is the week later. Guess I need to decide and get registered for something.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Kevin, you're going to be at Road Atlanta tomorrow, correct?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I was in the race red car. There was an avalanche gray in my garage and I noticed another one with a Team Shelby logo on the side that was in another run group. He seemed to get around pretty well too.

Want to do the Oct event. The local club guys want me to go to the NOLA event that I think is the week later. Guess I need to decide and get registered for something.

Ahhh, ok. There was a pretty big showing of us there. I think I saw your car unloading, but had to rush back to help my buddy prep for an interview. Damn!

Hope to see you on the 6 & 7th! Sounds like my parents are coming into town....hoping I can get them in the passenger seat for a session on COTA (mom will probably last 2 laps :D)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
As some of you might have seen in my post about quality carbon fiber, my HCM Carbon Fiber wing cracked in a couple of places while running at COTA. Unfortuntely, I caught it on Sunday night, only 4 days before I was supposed to leave for Road Atlanta. That didn't leave a lot of time to get things figured out.

I took a good look and it was clear that this wasn't going to be up to the abuse any longer. I have a very strong opinion filled with tons of regret about HCM, but let's stay out of that.
rear-wing-crack-jpg.jpg

rear-wing-crack-2-jpg.jpg

With only 4 days to spare, I needed something quick. I called Terrence on a Sunday night (member 50 Deep) to see if he could help. Within 12 hours, we had a Mad Industries R spoiler being 2nd day aired from CA. Chris at Mad Industries gave me a call first thing in the morning, we coordinated shipping and he had his team rush the packaging/UPS hand off to ensure we could get it on time. Excellent service from both of them. They both worked hard to make sure we could make the Road Atlanta deadline. Appreciate it guys!

We planned to leave Thursday afternoon around 5. Unfortunately, UPS lost the package, and then delivered it 8pm. I'll tell you what, we might hold the record for fastest R spoiler install. The package was delivered at 8 and installed by 8:25pm, car in the trailer by 8:30 and we were moving by 8:45. Pretty nuts schedule, but all worked out great and we made it (albeit ultra tired and late).

So you might be wondering if we rushed things a bit. I had actually been planning on switching the wing out over the winter. I've been around a few Mad Industries products and they're top notch. Manufacturing is excellent, price is fair, and the team is great to deal with. The cracked spoiler just expedited things a bit.

One of the things I really appreciate about the Mad spoiler is it's a true R replica. Not inspired by, etc. A true replica. It follows the body lines, matches the shape, etc.

For one, it's a beautiful piece.

Top front.jpg

Here's the body line I mentioned
Front contour.jpg

Nice and slippery (thin) in regards to aerodynamics...just like the OEM part
R wing thin.jpg

The base is also a perfect match
Rear side.jpg

And it just looks badass
R wing rear.jpg

Happy to say it survived Road Atlanta and performed very well. Very happy with the wing. Thinking about getting a black-tinted clear coat put on top of the CF. That way it'll look black from afar, but still show the weave up close. We'll see.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
As I mentioned, I got to drive COTA in the Dark. What an awesome experience.

This was my first time to COTA. I'd driven it quite a few times in games, but it never was my favorite track - it's quite technical and very hard to get right. You need to go slow in order to go fast. However, in person it's an entirely different story. It feels much faster than the game and definitely is rewarding for getting it right.

We spent the first 2 sessions learning the track and adjusting to the heat. It was 99 degrees and 60-70% humidity during sessions 1-3. Pretty nuts.

During session 3, we got to finally turn it up. Tires were dialed, I was getting comfortable on the track, and things felt good. Fastest of the session ended up being a 2:33.xx. Unfortunately my Solo 2 DL wasn't properly configured, so it wasn't storing lap times, only showing me live times. Whoops.

Here are a couple of laps.

After 25 mins of that, the checkered flag flew right as the car hit limp mode (I think). Temps looked to be around 240ish CHT, 283 oil, and 256 rear diff. The car flashed the Check engine light, the exhaust tone changed, and it was limited in RPM (felt around 3500, but didn't test it). After the back straight, it was back down to normal as temps were 10-15 degrees cooler. Never happened again the rest of the night. If anyone has insight, feel free to share :)

Session 4 it started to get dark. We started at twilight and went into the night. This legit felt like Forza. Unreal. Some video below. Spooky

Interesting was that lap times increased by 4-5 seconds even tho air temps were lower and grip was better. Guess self-preservation kicked in :D

Additional thoughts:
It was bloody hot. As mentioned, 99 degrees with 70% humidity. There were (4) ZLI 1LEs in my run group and none of them could last longer than 18 or so mins. They were a blast to run down. No doubt, they're faster than the 350 - but not by much. Very doable to keep up with on track - especially if they're a manual. They were losing ground needing to shift so much.

I was taking the esses in 4th to keep the RPMs down. 3rd allows you rotate the rear more, but temps were running 15 degrees hotter. I also never touched second on track. Really felt like it didn't need it. I left a lot of time on the table, but if you can carry more moment through Turn 1, turn 12 (back straight), and turn 20 (last turn), you can easily stay in 3rd.

High speed on the back straight was 161 mph. Going from 161 down to 35mph was epic. I have professional photos on the way that show the brakes glowing :)

Sway bars
the new bars felt great. I ran them on the softest setting up front and the stiffer setting in rear (OEM location). I definitely need more stiffness upfront - plan to move to the middle whole. No front splitter rub under braking/body roll compression, so mission accomplished.