Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Redline - 7400 or 7500?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
You explained it well enough the first time :). I hadn't paid any attention to the analog 2018 cluster earlier....thanks for that pic. It appears that the redline on that cluster is at 7400 as well.

You mention a "marketing redline". We have "shaded areas" and we'll have a fuel cut rpm somewhere above 7500rpm....but redline is redline. It's the red line on the gauge. The start of the red zone.....or where the original Bullitt engine builder Max Balchowsky put the "little pieces" bit of masking tape on the tacho as a warning to Steve not to over-rev the car during the chase scene.

littlepieces.jpg
Redline refers to the maximum engine speed at which an internal combustion engine or traction motor and its components are designed to operate without causing damage to the components themselves or other parts of the engine.

I guess it really doesnt matter what redline means as long as we understand whats going on at the redline/fuel cut points.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....I guess it really doesnt matter what redline means as long as we understand whats going on at the redline/fuel cut points.

Correct.

If only we knew where the redline was....or where Ford meant it to be, or where they think it is, where it actually is, or where the marketing guys want it to be :doh:.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Did the older mustangs and other sports cars have a factory rev limiter?
Not for anything built with carburetors and points/condenser distributors. A hard, rpm-based, fuel cut needs some sort of electronic link between ignition and fueling.

Early electronic ignitions may have effectively had a rev limit through their modules' inability to reliably provide a good enough spark at higher rpms. But that would have been more of a side effect to the main reason for their existence (dealing with lean mixtures and early emission-control tech). Not that early emissions-era OE heads and cams were good enough at higher rpms to make it worth going up there in the first place.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Did the older mustangs and other sports cars have a factory rev limiter?
I remember reading that the '69 and '70 Boss 302s had a rev limiter (6,150 rpm). It was a little unusual back then, but the Boss had heads that could support HUGE rpm with 302 cubes. Most V8s would self-limit through lack of air flow and so the user would feel the power decreasing and logically shift to the next gear. I'm sure there are other examples of rev limiters from the 60s and early 70s, but I don't know about them.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If nobody with an 18 will volunteer, once I reach 1,000 miles I'll see if mine stops at 7,400 or goes to 7,500 lol. Easy way to find out. I thought the mixed message from Ford was weird too. When I talked to Carl Widmann at an event a couple months ago, he said 7,500 and he's the chief engineer so I'm inclined to believe him over anything else. Why the tach indicates 7,400 is beyond me.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Might be better to read rpms out of the OBDII port than rely on the dash display (which is probably damped somewhat to keep people from getting nervous about unsteady readings).

Norm

OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
If nobody with an 18 will volunteer, once I reach 1,000 miles I'll see if mine stops at 7,400 or goes to 7,500 lol. Easy way to find out. I thought the mixed message from Ford was weird too. When I talked to Carl Widmann at an event a couple months ago, he said 7,500 and he's the chief engineer so I'm inclined to believe him over anything else. Why the tach indicates 7,400 is beyond me.

Carl said it's 7500, I've seen another Ford engineer Tom Barnes say it, it's in their docs and in quotes over the internet.

I reckon the fuel cut will be above 7500rpm, btw. Redline is the visual warning you're going too far, fuel cut is the slap in the face that you've gone too far :).

OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Shout out to @Hivel .....he found the answer as to why the redline is set to 7400 rpm. The GT has fuel cut ECU software installed to protect the A10 transmission from an over-rev condition:

See post #4 of this thread

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Log stock tune will tell you. And yes, Torrie found transmission code limiters. :).

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It matters when there's an argument at the bar over what the redline is.......
Is there an argument at a bar over this? Or is this a hypothetical?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I autocross a 2018 GT PP automatic and log data using a Race Technology DL1. The DL1 uses OBDII data for rpm and throttle position. I've logged at least 7530 rpm on the limiter in second gear based on checking a couple of "test" and "learning the car" events at the beginning of the season when I didn't know how fast the car accelerates in the lower 3 gears. Now on most courses I'm in 3rd at the first opportunity unless the course is very slow. On some courses I start in 2nd because full throttle in 1st isn't possible and an immediate turn will make the upshift paddle impossible to reach before hitting the limiter.

Note that manual shifts of the automatic become very slow if you hit the limiter before the shift is complete.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
In Canada we don t argue for 100 rpm but for 500
D91B61D5-3A50-47FF-9319-8C8B1954E61E.jpeg

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I think they're trying to keep people from "riding the ragged edge" of over-revving the engine.

Consider it a 100 RPM buffer. The car can go 7500 RPM, but you should already have shifting on your mind well before 7400 in order to have the timing down.

My $.02.

OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I think they're trying to keep people from "riding the ragged edge" of over-revving the engine.

Consider it a 100 RPM buffer. The car can go 7500 RPM, but you should already have shifting on your mind well before 7400 in order to have the timing down.

My $.02.
Ford engineers and dozens of 2018 press reviews reveal there is 500rpm increase to the redline with the new engine, now up to 7500rpm. Ford release the new 2018 model without correction, and the redline is 7400rpm.

To this day, (because of that press) most people think the 2018 (and 2019) GT redline is at 7500rpm....including you and you own one with the redline staring you in the eyes every day! There is no 100rpm buffer. There is zero buffer. The redline is 7400rpm.
Sponsored