Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I really don't get the long hood/hard to see over as a negative. It is a muscle car!

Except the Mustang is not a muscle car. The S197 didn't have the long hood issue like the S550 does.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Yep. :cheers:

2018-19 is a short run EOL product like the 13-14, so I thought that's what they were going to do. The way the 13-14's (end of S197 production) basically used the previous years GT500 fascia though slightly different.
The calendar year run is 2017, 2018, 2019. In Model years it's the '18, '19, '20 accordingly. The S660 will not be out till 2020, which would be considered a MY '21.

It has been moved up to 2020 correct.

But it's 2017 now (meaning MY '18 for this year), 2018 (MY '19 for this year), 2019 (MY '20 for this year)...then new model.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Except the Mustang is not a muscle car. The S197 didn't have the long hood issue like the S550 does.
I had a S197 for 4 years and now this one for a year
Have had no issues with either hood even when i got a cervini hood
and I am a short-ass, and drive on the wrong side of the road :D
And the S197 is a Muscle car, the S550 is not so much more of a Tech Sports car

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Seriously? Then why even have a 50th anniversary addition if it is no longer a muscle car? Over the years everyone complains how the Mustang is losing its heritage and going more sportscar, and yes I hear you on the S197. Ford tries and bring more muscle car into the equation and nothing but complaints of the muscle car features! (I realize this statement is a stretch as the S550 is a bit of a departure for a true muscle car, but as time moves on even the definition of muscle car will evolve just like everything else). I hate to break it to you, but this is not a sports car, no car in the 3800 lb range will ever be called a sports car, nor should it be

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I had a S197 for 4 years and now this one for a year

And the S197 is a Muscle car, the S550 is not so much more of a Tech Sports car
Now we are inventing new segments!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Seriously? Then why even have a 50th anniversary addition if it is no longer a muscle car? Over the years everyone complains how the Mustang is losing its heritage and going more sportscar, and yes I hear you on the S197. Ford tries and bring more muscle car into the equation and nothing but complaints of the muscle car features! (I realize this statement is a stretch as the S550 is a bit of a departure for a true muscle car, but as time moves on even the definition of muscle car will evolve just like everything else). I hate to break it to you, but this is not a sports car, no car in the 3800 lb range will ever be called a sports car, nor should it be

It's a pony car.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
It's a pony car.
Ok I'll give you that. Pony car has always been a class of muscle car in my book though :D.

Anyways back to the 2018. Has anyone seen Orange Fury in person yet? I saw the video a few pages back, but those auto show lights never do a bright color justice IMO. Curious to see how it compares to comp O. I also haven't seen any pictures of it out in natural sunlight except for the ones of the Ford site.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Pinto and Maverick were Pony cars, the Mustang has evolved into a muscle car, and anybody in the race scene knows this.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Sport or Muscle

Muscle car vs. sports car--they often are lumped together, but in fact are different. Most members of the population use sports car and muscle car somewhat interchangeably, but they are in fact different vehicles entirely. To figure out which one would work best for you, read the guide below, comparing muscle cars and sports cars.

Engines
One of the biggest differences between a sports car and a muscle car is the engine. Muscle cars have big, powerful V-8s or better that give them the "muscle" in their name. Sports cars, on the other hand, have smaller engines that might still be powerful, but often because they are accompanied by forced induction. In short, muscle car engines are powerful and sports car engines are quick.

Bodies
Muscle cars are associated with bold curves that just make the cars look like their power is trying to bulge out of the seams. Sports cars aren't quite so rippling. Instead, sports cars are usually made up of sleek likes that aren't as muscle-like as their powerful counterparts.

Torque
The power of the massive muscle car engines yields much higher torque than the small engines in sports cars. While sports cars may still be fast off the line, that is because of their quick engines, not their torque pull. It is this torque that will drive a muscle car well in the lead if you are looking at a straight line race. Most muscle cars actually have more rear wheel torque than they have rear wheel horsepower, making for quite a force on the strip.

Handling
For the most part, sports cars were made to excel around the corners, which is not a great place for most muscle cars. If you are looking for something that will whip around at whim, you'll need to look for the light, airy quality of a sports car. There are of course muscle cars with superior handling, but that was not what they were made for. They were meant to dig and drive.

Potential
The power potential is far better with muscle cars because they have bigger engines. If you want something naturally aspirated, you will do better with a muscle car than you will with a sports car. Most sports cars already have a supercharger or turbo on them to give them an extra push. If you invest in the same option for a muscle car, the former would quickly lose to the latter. The fact is that if you want to actually build a car, you have to choose muscle over sports.

Bottom Line: Ford built a car that is both Sport Car & Muscle Car.
Track or 1/4 mile drag racing it can be adapted for any purpose -
Daily driver, Sports Car, Muscle Car - I think Ford intented for the
Ford Mustang to be viewed this way. Only difference is they are
appealing to a larger audience - world markets. Thats where the
2018 Ford Mustang Refresh steps in. Some of us can't accept that
change. But heck thats my opinion. ;)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV