Sponsored

Top Gear

IamTheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Mustang GT
I am a big fan of the BBC show Top Gear. I have to say I was really excited, followed by being massively disappointed when I saw the American Version. I think the biggest thing the American show was missing was the "cheeky" humor that make the British version fun. That and the host all sucked.

What did you like and dislike about American Top Gear?

My favorite American Top Gear moment was its cancellation. :headbonk:
Sponsored

J.Darcy

Oh it's cancelled? Finally. The humor and interaction between the hosts was just so contrived and not funny. The UK Top Gear hosts are so much more natural and are actually funny.

Plus, the videography and production quality of the UK show was so much better.

What other countries have Top Gear now? I know theres a Top Gear Korea.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, the current Top Gear USA is still going strong and season 4 is due to air soon.

https://twitter.com/adamferrara/status/364878237236596737/photo/1

Personally, I much prefer the US version (don't forget, I'm English)........I think the 3 guys get on great and are naturally funny. I also love the locations and cars more than "our" version. Perhaps it's just different enough for me to prefer it.

I've got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and the episode "Muscle Cars" with the 5 second clip of Tanner drifting a Boss 302 down a canyon road was worth the purchase price alone.

Sure, Top Gear is an institution, it's been going on since the 1970s in various guises, but the last 10 or so series seem to be aimed at 8 year old boys and it's soooooooo obviously scripted.

KingofQueens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
uhh where did u find that it was cancelled? I see a new season on Sept 3.

The hosts in my opinion nvr meshed together well. At least Tanner can drive lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP

IamTheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Mustang GT
Well, the current Top Gear USA is still going strong and season 4 is due to air soon.

https://twitter.com/adamferrara/status/364878237236596737/photo/1

Personally, I much prefer the US version (don't forget, I'm English)........I think the 3 guys get on great and are naturally funny. I also love the locations and cars more than "our" version. Perhaps it's just different enough for me to prefer it.

I've got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and the episode "Muscle Cars" with the 5 second clip of Tanner drifting a Boss 302 down a canyon road was worth the purchase price alone.

Sure, Top Gear is an institution, it's been going on since the 1970s in various guises, but the last 10 or so series seem to be aimed at 8 year old boys and it's soooooooo obviously scripted.
I could have swore the show was cancelled, guess I was wrong. :doh:

When I hear Boss 302 and drift together in a sentence, I throw up in my mouth. :barf:

I like that it is aimed at 8 year olds, I'm pretty sure every car guy is an 8 year old boy at heart!

OP
OP

IamTheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Mustang GT
I think they should get Tim Allen on the US version. And maybe a real car enthusiast, like Reggie Jackson. I think I must be the only one not impressed with Tanner. I know he can drive (very well) but he I just don't relate to him. Plus if I see him drift another car that can actually handle and turn good lap times, I will lose my mind.

Drifting is the figure skating of auto sports, IMO!

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Well what do you have here? A retarded guy, a gomer, and a person with no personality.
The contrast to the British version is startling. It couldn't be more different. Is that really what Clarkson thinks is representative of America?
And if they'd just give us that show, live, without delay - we'd be far happier.

K.Lysius

I think they should get Tim Allen on the US version. And maybe a real car enthusiast, like Reggie Jackson. I think I must be the only one not impressed with Tanner. I know he can drive (very well) but he I just don't relate to him. Plus if I see him drift another car that can actually handle and turn good lap times, I will lose my mind.
Faust may be able to drive like hell, but he has the personality of a rubber tire.

They shoulda gotten Adam Corolla and Matt Farah as hosts instead. Who the hell casted the American Top Gear anyway??!! :headbonk::doh::frusty:

OP
OP

IamTheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Mustang GT
Faust may be able to drive like hell, but he has the personality of a rubber tire.

They shoulda gotten Adam Corolla and Matt Farah as hosts instead. Who the hell casted the American Top Gear anyway??!! :headbonk::doh::frusty:
I still think Tim Allen would be a good fit, he's funny, a car guy, and used to race with Saleen in the 90's.

A trio of Tim Allen, Adam Corolla and Matt Farah would work with me. Now they would just need good writers and fun challenges.....

Maybe I should be a producer... LOLOLOLOL :headbang:

Sponsored

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
Leno should retire again and host TG instead.

Car guy fanatic/ comedian that knows how to run a show? Perfect fit.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
I still think Tim Allen would be a good fit, he's funny, a car guy, and used to race with Saleen in the 90's.
How about Leno and Allen together? Did you ever see the two appearances on The Tonight Show where Allen and Leno drag raced out in the parking lot?

See the two videos here: www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/?p=16364

Watch the two videos in the reverse order of how I posted them... so that you can see where and how the competition started in part 1, then how it ended in part 2.

Brilliant stuff... this is how I'll remember the best of Jay Leno when he is off the air.

OKCfan

Tim Allen definitely would be a good host.

So Top Gear America is cancelled for good?

OP
OP

IamTheStig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Mustang GT
Tim Allen definitely would be a good host.

So Top Gear America is cancelled for good?
I heard it was, but another member said it wasn't. I guess you could check IMDB or the History Channel's web page for an accurate answer. Either way I don't care much, I much prefer the cheeky English humor of the British version.

Of course if they fired the hosts, writers and producers, I might start watching American Top Gear.

Deroxas2.0

Anyone have a favorite Top Gear (UK) episode?

One of my recent favorites is from last season - the 2 part Nile River special. Pretty epic trip.
Sponsored