Sponsored

[New Spy Pics 4/12]: 2015 Mustang s550 Prototype Now With Covered Production Body?

KZStang

R&T: This is probably not a 2015 Ford Mustang prototype

It definitely is an engineering mule. Or a red herring.

By Dan Roth April 12, 2013 / Photos by KGP Photography

Spy Shots: 2015 Ford Mustang Test Mule

Ford has some hot product on the horizon, none as searingly anticipated as the 2015 Mustang. Legendary automotive spy photographer Jim Dunne has snagged, well, something. But it's probably not what you're reading elsewhere.

This is a 2015 Ford Mustang engineering mule, that much is true. It's hard to know much more about it, not only because of the heavy camouflage, but because Ford is actively messing with the press. That's not to say that there isn't real science happening with this car, but hell, look a little closer and you'll see that it's probably not an actual prototype of the next-generation Mustang, especially since we've heard that Ford isn't even building '15 Mustang protos until June.

Those are clearly S197 rockers, but because of the grain in the shots, it's hard to tell if they're just tacked on plastic there as a ruse. Ford's been pulling some shenanigans like that lately. Remember the 5-lug hubcaps on the F Series mules? You can't even tell if the the new fully-independent suspension that's been snagged in spy shots before is present. This might even have a live axle. But the reason for the high-riding stance is probably due to a lack of powertrain in this particular car. Looking as closely as possible, it appears that most of the bodywork is actually current, and really, who's to say Ford doesn't love playing this game with the media and the public, since both groups actively frothing at the mouth for any shred of information about the 2015 Mustang?
They always get it, eventually :thumbsup:

:ford: hype machine playing games.... LOL.
Sponsored

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
I think the big giveaway is the roofline. There's no way the next gen car is going to have the exact same roofline as the current one. Everything I've heard or read is that it's a clean-sheet redesign.

Unchained

I'm glad it's not it. This isn't supposed to be just a refresh, it's supposed to be completely new. It's time to move forward with the design, enough of the same ole...

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's like they want us to know it's a Mustang because anybody who knows anything about Mustangs knows those wheels at first glance, but that's all they want us to know. Probably part of their marketing scheme.

Oblivion/2

The lights are riding way too high IMO. Yea, there's no spoiler, but you can see the red outline of the tail lights through the mesh cover. Even if it is the s197 chassis with a s550 body on top, what I'd also like to know is, what engine is in there?

Sponsored

stangray11

The lights are riding way too high IMO. Yea, there's no spoiler, but you can see the red outline of the tail lights through the mesh cover. Even if it is the s197 chassis with a s550 body on top, what I'd also like to know is, what engine is in there?
Agree. As I said before it looks like at least a different rear/tail lights. One of two things is going on here.

First, either we got a cover that is too small for this car and obscuring the angle and placement of the mesh cutouts for the rear lights, OR.....

We have rear lights that more closely resemble the Evos/Fusion in shape, angle, and placement on the rear. No way of really telling, but it would be interesting if this were the actual s550 rear. Here's a comparison of the rear end of the current GT, Fusion, Evos, and the new spy pic.

2015-ford-mustang-spy-photo-photo-459960-s-1280x782.jpg

2015 mustang V8 prototype - video2.jpg

2015 mustang prototype video.jpg

2015 mustang render - sean:2b2.jpg
2013 mustang GT rear end.jpg
ford fusion rear end.jpg
Ford_Evos_(rear).jpg
mustangprototype3-mustang6.jpg

Mach1

Well one thing's for sure.... if they are bringing back the Mach 1.... this sure ain't it! :thumbdown:

stangray11

Well one thing's for sure.... if they are bringing back the Mach 1.... this sure ain't it! :thumbdown:
There's really no telling what kind of body styles will be offered right now. The coupe will be tested first (if there are others) as usual.

KZStang

There's really no telling what kind of body styles will be offered right now. The coupe will be tested first (if there are others) as usual.
As much as I'd like to see it, doubt we see a full fastback right away, if at all. If we see it, it would be in a limited run (Mach 1 etc)

OKCfan

Different body styles (in addition to coupe)? First I've heard of that as possible...

Sponsored

KZStang

Different body styles (in addition to coupe)? First I've heard of that as possible...
Coupe and verts are a given. We'll see about the fastback. Rather not see some sort of notchback. Do it all the way IMO.

OKCfan

Coupe and verts are a given. We'll see about the fastback. Rather not see some sort of notchback. Do it all the way IMO.
Oops yea I meant besides coupe and convertible :) Why an additional third variation (fastback) model for the next generation when we didn't see it this gen? If they want a fastback model they can just give the coupe a fastback shape.

KZStang

Oops yea I meant besides coupe and convertible :) Why an additional third variation (fastback) model for the next generation when we didn't see it this gen? If they want a fastback model they can just give the coupe a fastback shape.
A full fastback would be a great tribute to the original, if thats what theyre going for. In this day and age, it's unlikely to see 3 body styles. I could see it in a special model offered later.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Really fascinating to see all these spy pics... and the most worrying aspect of them is what rear suspension is underneath this car. I very much hope it's not ye olde lowbrow solid axle.

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Really fascinating to see all these spy pics... and the most worrying aspect of them is what rear suspension is underneath this car. I very much hope it's not ye olde lowbrow solid axle.

Yep it's worked well for many many years but it's time to move forward. One thing I liked about the Camaro I test drove a few years ago is the way it feels on the road. In normal everyday driving conditions it just felt more firmly planted and stable over rough spots compared to the Mustang. I would like to have that sensation in my 2016 Mustang.
Sponsored