Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Car and Driver magazine doubles down on its speculation that the GT350/SVT Mustang will have a flat-plane engine:

Excerpt:

SVT isn’t trying to top its supercharged GT500 engine here. Instead, expect a version of the 5.0-liter V-8 that powers the Mustang GT. This engine might have a slightly larger displacement than the stock unit, and SVT is known to be working on a flat-plane crankshaft for the “Voodoo” engine. The lower rotating mass with such a setup should allow this V-8 to rev past 8000 rpm and deliver about 550 horsepower. We expect this engine to be mounted exclusively to a manual transmission and send its power through a limited-slip differential.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-feature
Sponsored

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
I think there is a good reason why the code name for the Mustang is S550.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Looks like the same article from December.

I think there is a good reason why the code name for the Mustang is S550.

What reason do you think it is? Why was the previous gen called the S197?

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Looks like the same article from December.

What reason do you think it is? Why was the previous gen called the S197?
Well just because previous gen code name had no meaning, doesn't mean the same for future code name. The same goes for the live axle.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Well just because previous gen code name had no meaning, doesn't mean the same for future code name. The same goes for the live axle.

Then what do you think the S550 stands for? Moreover, why should the new designation have anything specific tied to it?

NRMStand

Implying the 550 is somehow tied to the SVT car's HP, something that could not have been known 3-5 years ago when the S550 program started, and probably is still a good deal away from being locked down, is beyond ridiculous.

Back to the article, I have to think the economics of developing a one-off flat crank engine would just not work out. I still think it is Coyote based and the GT350 needs nowhere close to 550hp to be a worthy Boss 302 successor with all of the other improvements gained with the new platform.

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
I'll add my speculation on the S550 code, which I doubt is right, but ya never know...

S = carry over from the last couple models for Sports
5 = to represent the 5 of T-5 (Mustang I)
50 = 50th anniversary

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Implying the 550 is somehow tied to the SVT car's HP, something that could not have been known 3-5 years ago when the S550 program started, and probably is still a good deal away from being locked down, is beyond ridiculous.

Back to the article, I have to think the economics of developing a one-off flat crank engine would just not work out. I still think it is Coyote based and the GT350 needs nowhere close to 550hp to be a worthy Boss 302 successor with all of the other improvements gained with the new platform.
With the level of sophistication of software nowaday, it should be a simple simulation. They absolutely knew how much hp they can get given the displacement and amount of max rpm and the type of engine. It's a matter of if Ford willing to put up with the cost.

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.