Cat-back 2.5" versus 3.0" tubing

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Chevy Colorado
So in the old days, the thought process was to use big diameter tubes for all-out top-end horsepower and to use smaller diameter tubes for improved exhaust flow and more low-end grunt. Is that still true today?

I'm asking this question because I'm building my '18 GT as a touring car versus a track, autocross or drag car. It's going to be street driven 99.9% of the time but I may drag race it a couple of times just to see what it runs.

I'm down to three different cat-back exhausts: 1) Ford Performance Touring with 2.5" diameter tubes; 2) Krona with 3.0" tubes and; 3) the Thermal with 3.0" tubes. So my old school thinking tells me that I'd be happier from a primarily street performance perspective with the Ford Performance exhaust than the others but with so many choices I'm just not sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts or data on this topic?
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Unless making monster F/I power 2.5" is more than ample from cat back concerns. The restriction is in the cat section. The cats themselves, and the neckdown. Unless eliminating those the cat back portion is irrelevant.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless making monster F/I power 2.5" is more than ample from cat back concerns. The restriction is in the cat section. The cats themselves, and the neckdown. Unless eliminating those the cat back portion is irrelevant.
This.

The only other thing that changes is that 3" will tend to have a bit deeper & louder exhaust note, all else being the same, although it's not that much.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
3" would be less restrictive and be much more ideal for nitrous or boost, even an all out motor build. Consider what your future goals are with the car.

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i plan on revving mine to 8K+ with an all motor build. im building a new exhaust system soon with a short x pipe and 3" race mufflers with turndowns. In my thinking im not losing anything by going 3" at that RPM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rf_ross

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
From a strictly power perspective, my current line of thinking is adding an exhaust, cold air intake, and a tune and that's really it given what I want the car to be. Now I suppose I could go crazy down the road and add a supercharger but at this point, I'm not thinking that far ahead.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
You wont have any noticeable difference in power or powerband with a 2.5" or 3" exhaust, so why not go with a 3"? More flow and will work better should you decide to go with additional flow mods in the future.

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
3" is def. Louder and more volume in sound. I think it even sounds like its breathing easier

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
As Jay Rod said the front part of the exhaust is 2.5....even 2.25 in some places. Ultimately that's going to be your restriction. I don't think you'll see any difference in power between a 2.5 and 3" system, like others have said its mostly sound.

I have a 3" cat back and kinda wish I had a 2.5 now that I am taking the cats off the car. 2.5 is just so much easier to work with and so many more options.

In short get the one that sounds best to you.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You wont have any noticeable difference in power or powerband with a 2.5" or 3" exhaust, so why not go with a 3"? More flow and will work better should you decide to go with additional flow mods in the future.
So if there is no noticible difference between a 2.5 and 3" exhaust (which I agree with), why recommend a 3"?

It doesn't matter, just like the 4, 5, or 6" tips don't matter. Buy based on quality, sound, and price.

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
So if there is no noticible difference between a 2.5 and 3" exhaust (which I agree with), why recommend a 3"?
Per my post, "3" will work better should you decide to go with additional flow mods in the future." :D

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If I had to do it over again:

NA- I'd weld in a set of GT500 mufflers and do a resonator delete.

FI-Cat delete, magnaflow TruX resonator, GT500 mufflers.

Instead I am 2k deep on a 57% custom, all 3" Magnaflow/MBRP, mash up system. lol

OP
OP
rf_ross

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
If I had to do it over again:

NA- I'd weld in a set of GT500 mufflers and do a resonator delete.

FI-Cat delete, magnaflow TruX resonator, GT500 mufflers.

Instead I am 2k deep on a 57% custom, all 3" Magnaflow/MBRP, mash up system. lol
Yeah, project dollar/scope creep. I had been contemplating widening my rear factory foundry wheels then powdercoating all four and throwing on some new tires. But when I started pricing that project out I realized that I could purchase brand-new, better fitting and lighter wheels for less money than I was going to sink into the wheel widening project. So it is easy to go down a path and get so deep you can't get out!

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, project dollar/scope creep. I had been contemplating widening my rear factory foundry wheels then powdercoating all four and throwing on some new tires. But when I started pricing that project out I realized that I could purchase brand-new, better fitting and lighter wheels for less money than I was going to sink into the wheel widening project. So it is easy to go down a path and get so deep you can't get out!
Thats exactly how I ended up with my CF5V's...started with foundry's

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
FWIW I remember the pushrod 5.0 saw gains across the board with 3" pipes vs 2.5" once the whp numbers topped 300, frankly I'm amazed the coyote makes the power it does with such small pipe diameter!

In any case, as others have already said the tubing size of the cat-back portion is secondary to the cats themselves and their crimped pipes as far as hp goes. Personally I think there's enough restriction in the factory resonator and mufflers to justify replacing those with aftermarket, but even 2.5" pipe size aftermarket mufflers will outflow the OEM cat section of the exhaust, so unless you plan to replace the whole thing just get whatever system sounds best to you.
Sponsored