Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Don't get me wrong. I love my boosted GT. I like the torque and rumble of the V8. And the power of course.
The problem really is I'm sick of driving around half throttle most of the time. If I wring this car out a bit, I quickly end up 30+ over the speed limit. Is it fun? Sure. But it's also pretty reckless. And I hate always looking for cops (yes, I use Waze). I know some think just cruising around in a V8 Mustang is great in itself. I'm really not one of them.

And yes, I know I'll be called nuts as to what I'm about to say. But I actually miss just flogging my '14 Fiesta SE manual all over the place and still going somewhat sane speeds. Something I simply cannot do in the Mustang 90% of the time. I feel like I got to use ALL of that car and in the Mustang I feel like I get to use 30%.

I'm considering going back to a true minimalist car that I can wring out on the streets and not care much if it gets dinged here and there...etc. I'm considering going back to a Fiesta SE. I drove the Fiesta ST. It's got much better power/handling but the ride quality/tire noise IMO was pretty horrible. And I'm thinking of going even cheaper.

I haven't committed to doing this. But I am thinking about it. One reason I may not is that my g/f probably won't ride in my car. She thinks small cars are not safe and only likes riding in big ones (like her Charger or the Mustang. Albeit she doesn't like riding much in the Mustang either b/c it's loud and has a firm ride compared to what she's used to, lol.)
Was wondering if anyone else has had similar sentiments?
Guessing not, so flame away! lol
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I'm staying NA. I can actually use the power. I've focused mostly on handling, which never gets old if you go and use it (autocross, HPDE, etc).

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Slow does not mean boring. In fact often times it can be exactly the opposite for reasons exactly as you said. You can actually get to 100%.

What about an NC Miata or an AP2 S2000? They're still engaging, approachable limits, and they're not that bad in terms of ride comfort. Not stellar, but absolutely livable.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'll sell you my Focus ST! :D Ride is way better than the Fiesta ST...for whatever reason. :shrug:
I owned a Focus ST. I went Fiesta SE, Focus ST, Mustang GT. For some reason I miss the Fiesta SE the most. My Focus ST was a pretty harsh ride too.

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I worry about the same thing. Now that my car is out of warranty I've been wanting to supercharge it but I live on the coast in FL. My drive to the office consists of: take a right out of my neighborhood and drive straight for 20 miles @ 60-70mph, get on the beltway with a bunch of morons for 3 miles and I'm there. The only spot I kind of get to wring it out is the long sweeping on-ramp to the beltway, but even then I'm going 100 in the matter of seconds and the fun has to end.

It kills me to say this but for as much as I would love to have 650+ horsepower, I kind of feel like it would just go to waste.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I want boost just as much as the next guy, but you're right about all of that power not being usable. My GT is "FBO" and I can't really use all of the car without going over the speed limit.

Have you thought about buying a cheap, used daily driver like an 07 Civic or something? Beater cars are a blessing AND you get to keep the boosted Mustang. Win/win.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
They say it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow and I guess you've proven it.

Like bmacil said … no FI for me on this car.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slow does not mean boring. In fact often times it can be exactly the opposite for reasons exactly as you said. You can actually get to 100%.

What about an NC Miata or an AP2 S2000? They're still engaging, approachable limits, and they're not that bad in terms of ride comfort. Not stellar, but absolutely livable.
True but I'm not into 2 seaters much. Prefer hatchbacks.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
If you need the room try the newer Fiesta STs, 2017-2018 they changed the suspension so it's not nearly as rough.

The 2018 Focus RS also got revised suspension for ride comfort.

But yeah, depending on the weight, anything over 500 WHP or anything with long gears takes away the fun factor for me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you need the room try the newer Fiesta STs, 2017-2018 they changed the suspension so it's not nearly as rough.

The 2018 Focus RS also got revised suspension for ride comfort.

But yeah, depending on the weight, anything over 500 WHP or anything with long gears takes away the fun factor for me.
RS is definitely out. I want slower.
I test drove a '17 Fiesta ST. It felt pretty rough. Plus I can get a new Fiesta SE 5spd for $12K before tax (dealer discounted). I loved how nimble my '14 FSE was.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm confused why can you use it? I go wot all the time in the hell kitty

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused why can you use it? I go wot all the time in the hell kitty
I understand what he is getting at. My car is at, what I would consider, the absolute limit for a fun street car. A pull to the top of second gear and I've broken every speed limit in the state.

My fiancees old mini was cool in that regard that you could stand on it all the time and you probably would never go to jail.

OP a VW GTI is a good riding, fun car. Might be sort of fast for your tastes but they are comfortable.

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The speed concerns are more a maturity thing i think. No disrespect meant.
I go to the track to get the speed and Gs i need from the car.

The knowing its a nice car and your not wanting it dinged is the very reason I got into a mustang. I too just got rid of a higher end car that it really bothered me to take to the track so here I am at 1/3rd of the cost and feel much better.

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
BTW
Miatas are a blast
Sponsored