Sponsored

Camaro giant leaps, Mustang just enough (SS vs. GT)

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
It doesn't behoove Ford to make big leaps. They already outsell the camaro badly, plus the GT isn't the most popular mustang. Sales and profit are always the priority. If Ford could sell a 100hp mustang and still crush GM they would probably do it..lol.

Plus, the higher horsepower doesn't always equal the faster car. There's weight, traction, aerodynamics, etc. Then you consider that a GT or SS buyer that cares tremendously about power and speed will find a way to make their car faster anyway. Plus Ford makes money from the aftermarket companies, etc. There's a lot of reasons they don't need to just bump the power in one giant leap.

I've had a ton of people compliment my car and only a few have actually asked me about the power and speed. I think most people just like it for the looks.

And you gotta remember...most people with a GT or SS will never see a drag strip and probably still the majority will never even do a roll race on the street, etc. I dog the crap out of my car almost every day but I've never raced it in any venue. The average GT owner (per a poll here that I think I remember) is something like 25-35 years old. Prior to 25 I did A LOT of dumb shit behind the wheel of some very unimpressive vehicles. But after 25 I started driving normally around other vehicles. That's probably why you see car insurance rates start dropping around 25 and then when you marry and such.

There's just not a big reason for car makers to push the limits of performance for much other than bragging rights. Basically any competitive industry doesn't blow their load on a new model of their widget. They just keep creeping along bit by bit, keeping up with the competition (and vice versa).
Sponsored

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
the mustang GT in 2010 stayed at like 330hp for YEARS. There was no camaro for it to compete with. Then camaro came out 400hp monster, and ford had to up it. and it continues, like it has since the invention of these two cars.

Seems like the Mustang is always the most liked car but the chevy will make the ford up their game performance wise.
The Mustang was never 330 Hp

From from the 2005 model year until the 2010 model year the Mustang was 300 HP, for the 2010 MY it went to 315 HP/325 TQ, then in 2011 the 5.0 came back.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
We are lucky in this day and age to have all of these cars, regardless of which is fastest or bestest, they are all cool cars.

Ford chose to go with very complex complicated multi overhead cam setup and the competition is still using the old school cam in block design and getting more out of them.

Kinda like Blondes, Brunettes and Redheads. Like em all on different days.

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
Doesn't really matter how great the Camaro is as a car when you need a mullet to drive one.
Jeez, not this crap again. I guess some people are stuck in the 1970's / 80's.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The thing is the Mustang is FORDs Performance Flagship so the Mustang should showcase engine performance that exceeds other manufactures engine outputs for any product. Forget the Ford GT because it is not obtainable.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The thing is the Mustang is FORDs Performance Flagship so the Mustang should showcase engine performance that exceeds other manufactures engine outputs for any product. Forget the Ford GT because it is not obtainable.
No, the gt350 is the flagship mustang like the gt500 before it, the terminator before it, the cobra before it, the cobra r, the fox cobra, fox cobra r etc.

The base v8 mustang had never been about showcase engine performance.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Some may consider the GT350 to be the performance flagship for Ford, but Ford needs a high performance Mustang any Ford dealer can sell that is not built in limited numbers.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Some may consider the GT350 to be the performance flagship for Ford, but Ford needs a high performance Mustang any Ford dealer can sell that is not built in limited numbers.
The only thing stopping Ford from selling more GT350s is the crooked dealers putting asinine ADM ( added dealer markup) on them!!

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Except...to sell vehicles, they don't. They have the performance pack which sells extremely well. The flagship models (GT500, GT350 etc.) already feed the magazine junkies. The aftermarket fills in the rest.

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Actually the Ford GT, GT350R, Raptor, Focus RS are the Flagships of Ford Performance!