Sponsored

Wiring harness behind dash the same on PP and non PP vehicles?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
What do you think?

I'd like to be able to switch panels over to a PP with the 2 gauges eventually, do you think the connectors will be there?

On top of that, going to 2 vents vs. 3 vents makes me think the housing behind is different as well.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
As ive noticed in prior models. If it's not optioned from the factory the harness is not included. For example.

Shaker 1000 wiring
Ambient lighting
Navigation antenna

Who knows it may change but remember everything is about cost savings.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
As ive noticed in prior models. If it's not optioned from the factory the harness is not included. For example.

Shaker 1000 wiring
Ambient lighting
Navigation antenna

Who knows it may change but remember everything is about cost savings.
Yes cost savings is exactly it, that is why I thought they may use the same wiring behind the dash for all models instead of paying for 2 different types of wiring. I'd really like to be able to "plug and play" some gauges if possible by just swapping out the dash panel and popping in the gauges. My only concern would be how the ducting for the vents is set up. In the PP there are only 2 vents yet in non-PP cars there are 3 vents in the center. I wonder if the dash panels have the ducting attached or if they are separate pieces behind the panel.

Guess I will have to wait and see to find out. But I'd really like to have the gauges there or even substitute with 2 aftermarket gauges.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Guess I will have to wait and see to find out. But I'd really like to have the gauges there or even substitute with 2 aftermarket gauges.
I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to have the gauges and turned applique (well, really the whole PP), but can't order the PP on a convertible. I'm hoping that FRPP will sell some version of it as a kit, which would have to include a block for the duct and a wiring harness for the gauges.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to have the gauges and turned applique (well, really the whole PP), but can't order the PP on a convertible. I'm hoping that FRPP will sell some version of it as a kit, which would have to include a block for the duct and a wiring harness for the gauges.
I will hope so as well. And hopefully reasonably affordable as well and not some $2000 kit for just 2 gauges.

Sponsored

R3troGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 2019 RAM 1500 BH
I just traded my 401A Interior for a guy who had the Recaros, which are totally manual. His cars harness was still able to power my seats no problem.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I just traded my 401A Interior for a guy who had the Recaros, which are totally manual. His cars harness was still able to power my seats no problem.
So evidently it is there for the 11-14's for the seats regardless of model. Now I just need to find out if the connectors are there for non PP '15 GT's or not.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I would think that if given content is in 95% of the cars, then it makes sense that Ford would use common wiring for that feature in 100% of cars built. It wouldn't be worth it to make a different harness section just for a small number of cars. This would be the case in your seat swap, as probably less than 10K customers buy that option. I'd guess the number is probably similar to the take rate for the PP in general.

OTOH, option content which has unique wiring requirements and is low volume might be a different story. It might not make sense to them to add that pigtail and plug end to 100K wiring harness when only 5K actually need them. It adds weight and it adds cost, and that cost is probably more than the price of tooling a different harness that eliminates it. So, anything that's related to the PP or Recaro options are probably in the same boat. Ford might leave the provisions in all cars for their unique features, but they'd have incentive not to.

FWIW, by the time that I bought my Contour SVT in '99, Ford had dropped the heated mirror offering in the US. But the wiring was there still, because they didn't change the harness. I could pick up heated mirrors from a junkyard and plug them in. So it isn't unprecedented that they'd keep the wiring variations to a minimum. It might be that the PP gauges just use an extension harness that plugs into an existing connector on the main dash harness and can be retrofitted easily. Who knows?

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I would think that if given content is in 95% of the cars, then it makes sense that Ford would use common wiring for that feature in 100% of cars built. It wouldn't be worth it to make a different harness section just for a small number of cars. This would be the case in your seat swap, as probably less than 10K customers buy that option. I'd guess the number is probably similar to the take rate for the PP in general.

OTOH, option content which has unique wiring requirements and is low volume might be a different story. It might not make sense to them to add that pigtail and plug end to 100K wiring harness when only 5K actually need them. It adds weight and it adds cost, and that cost is probably more than the price of tooling a different harness that eliminates it. So, anything that's related to the PP or Recaro options are probably in the same boat. Ford might leave the provisions in all cars for their unique features, but they'd have incentive not to.

FWIW, by the time that I bought my Contour SVT in '99, Ford had dropped the heated mirror offering in the US. But the wiring was there still, because they didn't change the harness. I could pick up heated mirrors from a junkyard and plug them in. So it isn't unprecedented that they'd keep the wiring variations to a minimum. It might be that the PP gauges just use an extension harness that plugs into an existing connector on the main dash harness and can be retrofitted easily. Who knows?
Thanks for the input. :)

Someone needs to break into a pre-production car and rip out the dash panel to find out. ;) :D :D

Totally plausible. :lol::lol::lol:

My mind wanders during this long wait. :)

JUANGUZJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG GT - BASE - PERFORMANCE PACKAGE
Behind dash on pp package

What do you think?

I'd like to be able to switch panels over to a PP with the 2 gauges eventually, do you think the connectors will be there?

On top of that, going to 2 vents vs. 3 vents makes me think the housing behind is different as well.

Any thoughts?
Take a look no middle air vent.
image.jpg

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Could it be that even in non PP version, the central vent has nothing behind?
Sponsored