Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost vs Camaro 2.0T

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
It's not an apple to apple comparison, but before having my 18 GT PP my daily driver was a 2017 Camaro 2.0T

As far as handling, I would say the Camaro feels a lot lighter, less roll than the Mustang between quick transitions. Both cars feel pretty planted when in a corner.

The Camaro has a better turn in.

But like I say I'm comparing a 2.0T with a noticeably heavier V8

As far as the rest, I prefer the driving position in the Camaro, you feel you are in a sport car, but visibility and practicability of the Mustang is way ahead.
As far as interior and exterior it's a matter of taste...Built quality seemed to me a little better in the Camaro, the switches on the Mustang console for driving modes/steering for example are really really cheap.... Like playschool / playmobil quality grade...
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yep, a tune would bump you into a higher class.

A cheater tune in my class would be impossible to prove without an expensive protest. I can recall only one teardown in a stock class since I've been doing this.

I imagine some people do cheat but frankly I don't drive well enough to take advantage of it :)
I don't consider the Ford racing tune any more aftermarket than the Performance Pack. I consider it an option just like PP.

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Dredging this back up. Lizardrko, I've actually owned two of each:

I very much want the Mustang to be the faster of the two. To me the Camaro lacks soul, and it is much harder to live with when you're not racing.

Thanks for the in depth answer! Seems like the camaro is very linear and the mustang has a "funner" torque curve

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
Thanks for the in depth answer! Seems like the camaro is very linear and the mustang has a "funner" torque curve
I didn't try the EB Mustang, but I can tell having driven the 2.0 T Camaro for 9 month that this motor is not linear...

It has a lot of turbo lag, punch pretty good around 2500-3000rpm with at "turbo effect rush" , and runs out of breath above 6000, even if the limiter is at 7000....

I felt the motor was very on-off, by applying the throttle you never know what you'll get...

I've been told the EB is even worse on top...if it's the case both motor are really boring (and it's really the case with the 2.0T in sporty driving)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Would you even need to disclose a tune? FRPP or Cobb stage 1 transform the car completely and I can't think of a way they could tell.
Because in simply cheating is lousy sportsmanship and in this sport if you get caught you literally will not have any respect of your competitors ever again.

Beside - why would you do it ? It's about who's the best driver not who got more power because he considers something something. smh.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I didn't try the EB Mustang, but I can tell having driven the 2.0 T Camaro for 9 month that this motor is not linear...

It has a lot of turbo lag, punch pretty good around 2500-3000rpm with at "turbo effect rush" , and runs out of breath above 6000, even if the limiter is at 7000....

I felt the motor was very on-off, by applying the throttle you never know what you'll get...

I've been told the EB is even worse on top...if it's the case both motor are really boring (and it's really the case with the 2.0T in sporty driving)

A stock EB mustang falls on its face at 5500rpm, but has all of its torque at like 1800rpm, which is almost instant. Its not a typical turbo torque curve like you are suggesting the camaro has.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
A stock EB mustang falls on its face at 5500rpm, but has all of its torque at like 1800rpm, which is almost instant. Its not a typical turbo torque curve like you are suggesting the camaro has.
Because the stock tune is deliberately hamstrung on the top end. It is not done for efficiency. It just dumps fuel and pulls timing. It's not done for reliability, It's actually worse for the engine. Having spoken to some insiders. The original tune was similar to the Ford Racing tune but the leadership felt the power and torque were too close to the GT. They were ordered to detune it on the top end where it wouldn't affect emissions or efficiency on the federal cycle. The performance tune being legal in the Democratic People's Republic of California is all the proof you need on that. Now that the GT got a nice bump for 2018, the bean counters at Ford allowed the EB another 30 lb-ft with no mechanical changes. In my mind the FRPP tune is a factory option with warranty, no different than not putting a performance pack mustang in a different class than a non performance pack or dealing out the pirellis for any other tire.

Because in simply cheating is lousy sportsmanship and in this sport if you get caught you literally will not have any respect of your competitors ever again.

Beside - why would you do it ? It's about who's the best driver not who got more power because he considers something something. smh.
I was asking because if you have a standard you cannot enforce, than you don't have a standard. Just look at Professional and Olympic sports to see the rampant amount of cheating. I guarantee you there are people in that class with tunes. Unless it's a spec class where everyone is in the same car, it not just about the driver.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
I was asking because if you have a standard you cannot enforce, than you don't have a standard. Just look at Professional and Olympic sports to see the rampant amount of cheating. I guarantee you there are people in that class with tunes. Unless it's a spec class where everyone is in the same car, it not just about the driver.
You're right, SCCA doesn't really have a way to deal with this, and a driver with a tune would be virtually impossible to spot especially at the local level.

At National level my hope (I may be naive) is that it's very, very rare. You show up at nats in a street class and there may be a dozen or two dozen drivers in exactly the same model with very limited variety in prep -- legally limited to tire choice, lighter wheels, shocks, alignment and exhaust from the cat back. They know you and your car because you've done events all year with them. It's such a social sport that a suspicion of cheating would kill the fun.

We were the only turbo Camaro in street classes in 2017, and the only EB Mustang in 2015 and 2016. I doubt anyone suspected a tune. People jokingly referred to them as cheater cars but only because they got waxed (by my codriver, not me).

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear. Camaro laggier at bottom but pulls well past the point the Mustang is huffing and puffing.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Updating: Ran the Camaro 2.0T and 2018 EB 10A back to back at Crow's Landing, a big, grippy autox site in the Bay Area. Co-driver and I both marginally faster (a couple of tenths on a 60-second course) in the Camaro. Mustang was clearly faster down low -- the gap to the first turn was more than half a second. But the soft springs and weight made a difference in corner exit. Mustang's nose goes in the air when you get on the gas, causing push. We'll try and tune that out.

Difference in feel is startling when driven back to back. The Camaro shrinks on course. It feels like a Miata, light and precise. Mustang just bulldozes. Steering is heavy and you feel the weight in transitions. Camaro a little skittish feeling at wide-open throttle, the Mustang planted and confident. You know exactly what your throttle inputs will give you.

I think if we can get the front screwed down without ruining how well the car puts down power, it'll be a wash.

Sponsored

Quinten33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, lol
The EB was the middle engine choice before the V6 died off, and it was lined up with the V6 Camaro. The V6 Camaro is the true EB competitor and the 2.0t was lined up with the mustang V6. The EB pulls hard down low and made more power than the V6, so they killed the V6. The Camaro V6 is good all around, especially at high RPM. I say you should put a PP1 Ecoboost against a V6 Camaro 1LT. Same weight, Camaro has more power, Mustang has more torque, mustang has better tires, Camaro has a better chassis. Is there an Ecoboost PP2? That would be interesting versus a V6 Camaro 1LE...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The EB was the middle engine choice before the V6 died off, and it was lined up with the V6 Camaro. The V6 Camaro is the true EB competitor and the 2.0t was lined up with the mustang V6. The EB pulls hard down low and made more power than the V6, so they killed the V6. The Camaro V6 is good all around, especially at high RPM. I say you should put a PP1 Ecoboost against a V6 Camaro 1LT. Same weight, Camaro has more power, Mustang has more torque, mustang has better tires, Camaro has a better chassis. Is there an Ecoboost PP2? That would be interesting versus a V6 Camaro 1LE...
The V6 in the Camaro is really good. Surprising for a company that uses pushrod V8s how good their dual OHC V6 is. Too bad they don't make a more modern V8.