Sponsored

members with Software experience and have the TomTop unit

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
Ok I found this older thread started by [MENTION=14735]WesleyEng[/MENTION] ...

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20642

If you go to the #6 & #7 posts in that thread, WesleyEng talks about another replacement unit that is very similar to the TomTop unit. He states he was in contact with the manufacture. This is their website....

http://www.sielectronic.com/index.php?m=Products&a=show&id=21
If you check out the Sielectronic link you will see Their unit looks very similar to the TomTop but not exactly the same.

Now in that original thread WesleyEng also said that that the manufacture distributes thru this company.....
http://www.adventproducts.com/integrated-gen/?sku=EXPNAV2

If you Look at that link to Adventproducts and scroll down their is a tab for Downloads. Under that tab is a is a link titled "Firmware Update/Restore Utility" If you click on the "Firmware Update/Restore Utility" it will bring up this web page....

http://static.voxxintl.com/firmware/EXPNAV2/

On that page it has instructions on updating the software with using the ZIP file that you can download from that same page. In that zip file it looks to be like files to completely restore the software with an updated version. The pic below is a screen shot of what is in the Zip file....

Now The question I have is it possible that those restore/update files could be used to reprogram the TomTop unit with their files?
From the pictures and from the Youtube vids it looks like the software in the new unit is much better with more options such as an expanded EQ etc. It also looks like the temp is in Fahrenheit. It also uses the same iGo Navigation.
update_radio.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
And before some of you start posting "It is not the same unit", Let me say I know it's not the same unit. the purpose to all of what I wrote is to ask a software engineer if they think it is possible to use the software from the "Different (not the same)" unit and use it on the Tomtop unit? I'm thinking out the box here.

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
I could be wrong, but won't we still need to figure out what the password is for the update system menu? In the directions for this firmware update it tells you to go to that menu but it's locked in the Tomtop.

Sponsored

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
Tried it. It's apparently something different.

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
Tried it. It's apparently something different.
Just to clarify...you are stating you tried the 888999 code on the Tomtop correct?
You are not stating you tried the software from the other head unit on the Tomtop correct.

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
I tried the the 888999 as the password for the software update menu and that didn't work.

Sponsored

DiGi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Orange
I'd have to have a TomTop Unit to experiment with it further to know for sure. Just because it's not the same unit physically doesn't mean it wont work. What matters is that the components inside, cpu, processor, bios/firmware etc are the same.

If it is the same - Looking at the two units seems to be very possible. One discrepancy is the TomTop Shows an ARM A9 Cortex processor while the one you linked shows MT3360 ARM11.

Now, China based products don't always market correctly so there's that. If they're the same units it might be possible to flash it. But you would likely need to modify some of the checksums and possibly vendor information.