Sponsored

Automatic Paddle Shifter Question

Hecarim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am going back and forth considering auto vs manual. I drove both, with some time in between. Until now every car I had was a manual. But surprisingly I liked the 6r80 and the issues of the mt82 make me think. Now I try to grab every bit of info about both. Since I am afraid of missing manual shifting after some time, I have following questions (almost zero experience with auto) :

Can the 6r80 skip gears when shifting? Can I skip gears while using the paddles?
Like pulling twice to make the car go from gear 4 directly to 2 instead of 4 - 3 - 2?

Any input is welcome!
Sponsored

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
When I double tap the paddle to down shift, the transmission does shift one gear at a time. It downshifts through each gear quicker then up-shifting though.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I haven't played with mine enough to know yet. I still yearn for that manual even though the auto is brain dead easy to drive. I think for me its a control issue. :headbonk:

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
I have had both and prefer the auto over the manual. the only thing you will give up by having an auto is being able to rev the motor before engaging the transmission, a stall converter would remedy this though. The auto is far more versatile than the manual. just my two cents.

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
If your speed and rpm allows, you will be able to VERY quickly downshift to the lowest possible allowed gear such as 6-4. The transmission will skip 5 if it's safe to do so. You'll see the cluster indicate 6 5 then 4, but it never really shifts into 5

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Correction: I paid attention to my cluster yesterday and noticed it skipped from cruising at under 2k rpm 4th gear to 5k rpm 2nd gear when I repeatedly downshifted.

So yes, it does skip gears.
Sponsored