Sponsored

Ceramic coating

lightningBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prospective buyer
For those who are getting the car soon....are you planning on getting ceramic coating? If so, anyone planning on diy? Looking at some youtube videos of ceramic coating, doing it self doesn't look too hard. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
I'm definitely planning on getting it done but I didn't realize it cost as much as it does. So I might be doing a DIY. The average cost I've been seeing is $800 - 1000.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's super simple to DIY especially on a new car that (hopefully)doesn't need paint correction. My recommendation would be to spend your money on a much Xpel as you can afford and DIY the coating.

I used Cquartz and have been very happy with the results. Here is what I would do:

1. Wash the car really well. I used CarPro Iron X.
2. Clay bar the vehicle using either a clay mitt or traditional bar.
3. Hand polish using a light polish containing no wax
4. Going panel by panel use a product like Carpro Eraser to be sure there aren't any waxes or oils left on the paint.

Now you can start the actual coating. I split the hood into 4 sections and did the rest of the car 1/2 panel at a time. The key is getting the dry time correct. If you try to take it off too soon you'll see that it's a little sticky. If you wait too long it's hard to get off. I found between 1-2 minutes worked well for me.

You can also do you wheels, lights, and windshield.

It sounds like a lot but it only took me about 1/2 day and it was a 4 beer job. If I cut out the beer I probably could have shaved an hour off.

OP
OP

lightningBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prospective buyer
It's super simple to DIY especially on a new car that (hopefully)doesn't need paint correction. My recommendation would be to spend your money on a much Xpel as you can afford and DIY the coating.

I used Cquartz and have been very happy with the results. Here is what I would do:

1. Wash the car really well. I used CarPro Iron X.
2. Clay bar the vehicle using either a clay mitt or traditional bar.
3. Hand polish using a light polish containing no wax
4. Going panel by panel use a product like Carpro Eraser to be sure there aren't any waxes or oils left on the paint.

Now you can start the actual coating. I split the hood into 4 sections and did the rest of the car 1/2 panel at a time. The key is getting the dry time correct. If you try to take it off too soon you'll see that it's a little sticky. If you wait too long it's hard to get off. I found between 1-2 minutes worked well for me.

You can also do you wheels, lights, and windshield.

It sounds like a lot but it only took me about 1/2 day and it was a 4 beer job. If I cut out the beer I probably could have shaved an hour off.
Thank you. I will go the DIY route myself. Its crazy they charge $800 for doing this. How much did your materials cost?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I will go the DIY route myself. Its crazy they charge $800 for doing this. How much did your materials cost?
I bought the Cquartz kit for around $100 which included the coating, IronX, Reload, towels, and applicator. You should also grab Eraser for around $15.

Reload is kind of a spray detailer/coating booster. It's not a must but its nice to have.

My father in law had his Corvette coated with Opti coat pro by a professional detailer. While it looks great, I can't say it's any better than my DIY job.

Also I don't mean to sound like a Cquartz sales person. There are many different companies that sell quality DIY coatings. Cquartz is just the one I am most familiar with. Opticoat, Wolfgang, Gtechniq all seem to be good options.

The prep and install will pretty much be the same.

Congrats in the purchase!

Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I already bought the ceramic coating and will be applying it myself when I have time.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Yup, I’ll be doing CQuartz on my 2018 myself, just like I did on my 2015. Not hard at all. The hardest part is all the polishing to get that paint perfect before application.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
The diference in the diy route is not much in the looks, but more in the how much it lasts. Cquartz uk will last about ayear before you have to do it again, cquartz finest resolve will last 5 to 7 years looking like day 1 easy

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
be the best thing you ever do... ive diy,d the last 2 cars i had my new one came with ceramic pro 9h already on it .. so when i brought it home i just gave it a good bath. and went over it all then gave her a reload . its simple better with 2 people one to apply then follow behind with the buffer micro towel.. took me and my buddy 4 hrs and thats with having beers

my 16 we used cquartz.. if its garaged and you reload it every 3 to 4 months it will last yrs. mine looked like show room after 2 yrs.before i traded it in for my 17 stage 1

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The diference in the diy route is not much in the looks, but more in the how much it lasts. Cquartz uk will last about ayear before you have to do it again, cquartz finest resolve will last 5 to 7 years looking like day 1 easy
Very true....

After a few coats, CQuartz Finest Reserve will last for several years.... if maintained properly. When I had it done, they placed Infrared lamps over the car....... as a final step.

Btw, your signature...... reminds me of this cool video :D

[ame]

Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did my 08 Tacoma with Gtechniq C1 Crystal lacquer. But as others have said, prep work is everything. Get that paint as perfect as possible BEFORE doing the coating. I'm also doing my 16 GT here soon too. Applying it is really not that bad once you watch a couple videos and do a couple panels on you're own vehicle. C1 Crystal Lacquer is about 3 to 5 years durability with proper maintenance.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm still old school and just use the old wax. It hasn't let me down yet.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
If you want the best ceramic coating you can get, I'd go with IGL Kenzo.

I have made CQuartz, Ceramic Pro, Gtechniq and all the cheap stuff fail.

The only way I've made IGL Kenzo "fail", is with a heavy cut compound (Menzerna 400), a DA, heavy cutting pad, extreme pressure and 4 minutes on high speed.

The coating didn't even fail, but the paint underneath melted.

It's the best out there.

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
What exactly does it mean when you say they "fail"? Just curious. I recently got ceramic pro on my vehicle, so I would like to know what to look out for if it fails haha.
If you want the best ceramic coating you can get, I'd go with IGL Kenzo.

I have made CQuartz, Ceramic Pro, Gtechniq and all the cheap stuff fail.

The only way I've made IGL Kenzo "fail", is with a heavy cut compound (Menzerna 400), a DA, heavy cutting pad, extreme pressure and 4 minutes on high speed.

The coating didn't even fail, but the paint underneath melted.

It's the best out there.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly does it mean when you say they "fail"? Just curious. I recently got ceramic pro on my vehicle, so I would like to know what to look out for if it fails haha.
By fail I think he means taking it off. I have Cquartz on mine and its well noted that it takes polish and a buffer to get it off. Anything that needs compound and an aggressive pad would make me nervous about the install.

I have one spot where I put the Cquartz on too thick. It's become my barometer. 2 years later its still there.
Sponsored