Sponsored

Can anybody with a MFT system tell me how music files are displayed

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
It'll be awhile before I get my car but I'm kind of curious how the system displays music files. In my Infiniti G37, the best way is to hook up an ipod as it'll allow me to sort by artist, albums, genres, playlists, etc. If I just plug in a plain USB thumb drive, it'll just display a screen full of folders, worse yet, the folders won't even be in alphabetical order (i think it sorts it by the date the files were added to the drive). The same goes for when I plug in my android phone.

Should I be expecting the same with the Mustang?
Sponsored

Zoink

Threads
Reaction score
I only stream from my phone or use an old mp3 player plugged into the usb port. For both, the system allows you to alphabetically list all the songs stored and you can scroll through and select which you want individually. You can also list them by album, artist or genre. Or you can use sync and have it play all songs by a certain artist or on a certain album. It also shows the album cover art/gracenote if any is available.

Not many shortcomings on the entertainment side. Now, sound quality (or lack thereof) is a whole other story.....

OP
OP

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
I only stream from my phone or use an old mp3 player plugged into the usb port. For both, the system allows you to alphabetically list all the songs stored and you can scroll through and select which you want individually. You can also list them by album, artist or genre. Or you can use sync and have it play all songs by a certain artist or on a certain album. It also shows the album cover art/gracenote if any is available.

Not many shortcomings on the entertainment side. Now, sound quality (or lack thereof) is a whole other story.....
Awesome, so it does pull up the id3 tags on the songs then. Thanks!

sdch1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Awesome, so it does pull up the id3 tags on the songs then. Thanks!
Yes it does show the id3 info, including the picture if you have it embedded in the file. You can browse by any criteria, artist, album, playlist, genre.

And what I really like over previous version of sync is that it supports much more files on a USB drive. Today I loaded up 114 GB of music on a PNY 128GB USB 3.0 stick, with over 12,000 songs and I can use voice command to play a specific track title. I could not do that before if there were too many files, because I guess there was only so much memory in buffer. I used to use a 160GB iPod in my 2013 Mustang, but it's so much better to be able to use a USB drive. It really helps to have a program to properly organize the ID3 info!

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
If you format the drive to FAT32 you can even set up albums, playlists, etc. in the form of folders within the USB drive.

The only downside of this is that FAT32 is limited to 16GB drives.

Sponsored

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
If you format the drive to FAT32 you can even set up albums, playlists, etc. in the form of folders within the USB drive.

I believe the FAT32 drive limitation is 32GB.

From the microsoft page:

"NOTE: When you attempt to format a FAT32 partition that is larger than 32 GB during the Windows XP installation process, the format operation fails near the end of the process, and you may receive the following error message:"

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Yes it does show the id3 info, including the picture if you have it embedded in the file. You can browse by any criteria, artist, album, playlist, genre.

And what I really like over previous version of sync is that it supports much more files on a USB drive. Today I loaded up 114 GB of music on a PNY 128GB USB 3.0 stick, with over 12,000 songs and I can use voice command to play a specific track title. I could not do that before if there were too many files, because I guess there was only so much memory in buffer. I used to use a 160GB iPod in my 2013 Mustang, but it's so much better to be able to use a USB drive. It really helps to have a program to properly organize the ID3 info!
Not sure if it was because I was using my Zune HD but the MFT's I tested did not pull everything correctly. I'm also OCD about metadata so all of the integrated tags/pictures are correct and it would not pull album art at all.

Also, I compress my music for minimized song footprint and it would cut off artist names towards the end alphabetically. I read there is a 15,000 meta limit that Sync will interpret audibly but with my base Sync I have over 18,000 tracks and it seems to work with voice commands regardless.

A basic USB drive would probably work better anyway.

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible

I believe the FAT32 drive limitation is 32GB.

From the microsoft page:

"NOTE: When you attempt to format a FAT32 partition that is larger than 32 GB during the Windows XP installation process, the format operation fails near the end of the process, and you may receive the following error message:"
That is Windows formatting limitation with Fat32 but I have done a 2TB drive in Fat32 for an application that needed it. It can be done via DOS but this link has a better solution.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/format-fat32-drives-beyond-32gb-limit/
Sponsored