Sponsored

Anyone with maximum motor sport plates here?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So I just installed full frppp springs and sways with mm camber plates. My problem is I cant get the top nut to tighten. Keeps on spinning. Don't want to hit with an impact either so what can I do?

Thanks
Sponsored

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2016 Miata (BBR turbo), '18 Subaru WRX
Not familiar with these shocks, is there a place for an Allen wrench in the end of the shock's shaft? Or perhaps a flat spot at the top to hold the shaft?

If that doesn't work is there space enough between the spring coils you can use a needle nose vice grips (with a strip of rubber in the jaws to protect the shock's shaft) to hold it enough to tighten the nut.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The top shaft is a 10mm and the nut is 21mm. Never had this issue with factory strut mounts. Maybe is something with mm plates.

I might have to buy the special tool.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed my Vorschlag plates, their instructions callout the use of an impact with thread lock. Pulse until the shaft starts spinning.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
When I installed my Vorschlag plates, their instructions callout the use of an impact with thread lock. Pulse until the shaft starts spinning.
Vorschlag uses different custom made longer nut that drops in around the shaft. I reused the OEM nylon nut.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Vorschlag uses different custom made longer nut that drops in around the shaft. I reused the OEM nylon nut.
I haven't seen the MMR plates in person but I'd suspect the need for the modified nut on the Vorschlag plates has something to do with the geometry of the plate itself.

That said, it still doesn't change the fact that you now have to tighten a nut on a shock shaft (something you'd have to do regardless of which CC plates you have). Pulsing an impact is one way to accomplish this.

Have you contacted MMR about the correct procedure? I'd start there.

Cammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2001 F-150 Lightning
DeadCow has it right - you have to pulse the impact wrench, not run it continuously otherwise the shaft just spins.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I did try it with impact this morning and keeps on spinning. I will contact mm and see what they say.

VUDUGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350R Shadow Black
I did try it with impact this morning and keeps on spinning. I will contact mm and see what they say.
I had mine installed last week by a shop here. He noted the same problem on the passenger side top nut. Interestingly enough he said that was the exact nut he couldn't get to tighten down on MM plates for a different generation Mustang and is having me keep an eye on it. After a track day with it in place I haven't noticed any backing off of the nut and we were able to torque it to 30 ft-lbs I believe but it will continue to spin if you put more torque on it.

Let me know if MM has a fix for you.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
When I installed this on my 2015 GT 2 years ago it came with sleeve that you insert in the middle of the bearing but the new ones do not come with it. I even looked through the instructions and parts included in the kit and nothing. Something has been changed. Even if you compare the p/n on the bearing plates with the written p/n in the manual it is different. Also, instructions is saying to torque it to 67lbs. I only have 2 threads showing from the top.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As with what DeadCow said, the Vorschlag plates have the shoulder nut that extends down into the bearing. I pulsed it tight, then marked it with a felt-tip marker and pulsed it again until the nut stopped moving relative to the shaft. It's not going anywhere.

It sounds like there might be some missing parts in your MM kit. Maybe a sleeve or a bushing or a washer that takes up the excess space so the nut has something to tighten against.

It's also possible that Ford changed the strut top rod. They did that between 2010 and 2011 and all the aftermarket parts manufacturers had to scramble to get out new strut mounts and camber plates.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Hold the shock shaft with lock pliers wrapped with thick cloth or use rubber lined lock pliers if you have them.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Nothing is missing in my kit. I compared everything with the manual and also pictures online. I got exactly same thing. But like I mentioned, on my 2015 GT 2 years ago, it did come with a sleeve and I am 100% sure because I remember I forgot to install it.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hold the shock shaft with lock pliers wrapped with thick cloth or use rubber lined lock pliers if you have them.

I will be ordering the strut nut socket tool or I might just buy a 21mm socket and cut the middle.

I have over 100 install on the s550 eco or gt and always used impact to tighten the nut while the car was on the ground and torque afterwards. With the Shelby is different or might be the plates.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hmmm... well, then let me ask a dumb question - what does "spinning" mean in this case? I think you mean that the strut shaft is turning with the nut and you can't get the nut to go any tighter on the bearing. Or did you mean something else? If the nut is turning and the shaft isn't, then it's stripped.
Sponsored