Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I feel bad for those guys...that ain't right.
Yeah, the current platform just isn't gonna do it for me. Maybe in 4 years...

Narrowing down and a bit depressing, been hearing the ME GM may debut as a cadillac. If it doesn't have any Cadillac design elements I'll give that some serious thought but I'm sure it will and I don't like the Cadillac "look"...so that will most likely put the ME vette a year or two later :(
I mean if you go over your allowed mileage of the warranty that fast you racked up miles! Did you see GM just released a new ZL1 1LE car (basically a Z28 like car) and they should be gearing up to release a Z06 whatever that is lighter and more track oriented. I believe after that, they'll release the ME car.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I mean if you go over your allowed mileage of the warranty that fast you racked up miles! Did you see GM just released a new ZL1 1LE car (basically a Z28 like car) and they should be gearing up to release a Z06 whatever that is lighter and more track oriented. I believe after that, they'll release the ME car.
Yeah, but most people have the idea in their mind to keep a vehicle for life (even though now days it doesn't happen much), and if the bearings go bad just over warranty, that's a bummer.

Do you have any links to that Z06? The zl1-l1e sounds cool but never liked the Camaro coffin feel, a great time to be a Camaro fan, that's for sure.

I am patient for a US mid engine but can only wait so long...every day more greys are coming in. :(

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Yeah, but most people have the idea in their mind to keep a vehicle for life (even though now days it doesn't happen much), and if the bearings go bad just over warranty, that's a bummer.

Do you have any links to that Z06? The zl1-l1e sounds cool but never liked the Camaro coffin feel, a great time to be a Camaro fan, that's for sure.

I am patient for a US mid engine but can only wait so long...every day more greys are coming in. :(
I'm just saying if you drive that many miles that fast it doesn't matter what vehicle you drive your screwed, should'be bought a cheap car to put more miles on! Does suck though. The Z06 track car (It has been said to be a ZR1 as well) has only been seen in camo, which I figure you have seen. Google search ZR1. I (and some others) believe it is going to be a Z06 with like a L88 option or whatever they wanna call it. So basically LT4 engine with more aero, lighter and more cooling but I don't think necessarily more power. Then I believe the ME car (which was last spotted winter testing with this other car) will debut, probably LA auto show or Detroit next year would be my guess.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ah, yes the ZR1, should be very nice.
One year...it will feel like an eternity. Meanwhile I'll be itching to pull the trigger on a foreign ME :(

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I mean if you go over your allowed mileage of the warranty that fast you racked up miles!
I'm just saying if you drive that many miles that fast it doesn't matter what vehicle you drive your screwed, should'be bought a cheap car to put more miles on!
That's all fine and dandy, but what happens if the 3 year warranty is up before the mileage and THEN your supercharger goes bad?!?! Nothing you could have done to prevent it. Either way, the high mileage or the warranty ends,....you're paying A LOT of money for a new supercharger.
If that had happened to me, I would just do the 4.5 Whipple, do supporting mods and call it a day at that point. Screw getting another IHI supercharger. :D

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
That's all fine and dandy, but what happens if the 3 year warranty is up before the mileage and THEN your supercharger goes bad?!?! Nothing you could have done to prevent it. Either way, the high mileage or the warranty ends,....you're paying A LOT of money for a new supercharger.
If that had happened to me, I would just do the 4.5 Whipple, do supporting mods and call it a day at that point. Screw getting another IHI supercharger. :D
What is there warranty? I know the Z06 is 5/60k

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Read about the zl1/l1e. Awesome, it sets the bar even higher. Looking forward to FINALLY having an auto in the SE Mustang with lots of power and grip. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next cobra to have a similar package with carbon fiber/reduced weight and suspension upgrades. We'll see, but I expect the next SE Mustang to see similar track numbers with it being faster in straight line. Perhaps with race fuel/e-85 button for an additional HP.

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
Sometimes it is okay to keep a chassis for several years and just keep improving it. It is nice to see Dodge focus on spending money on building great engines and working on their current chassis. Sometimes companies build some new chassis that are not all that great. With the Challenger, the chassis is a known and subtle improvements just make it better.
ZL1 1LE, alpha platform... Need I say more?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
ZL1 1LE, alpha platform... Need I say more?
It seems like the performance might be there, but there are too many other problems with the current generation Camaro. GM can't even sell them without discounts. Meanwhile many GT350s are still selling over MSRP, even 2 years after the release. I really wish GM had done a better job making a worthy competitor to the Mustang. That would have pushed Ford to release a high HP car replacing the GT350 sooner. But at the moment it looks like more of the GT350s are going to be selling, with the GT500 or its replacement not even needed right now.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This is true and I'm afraid it has more to do with asthetics and thr pleasure to drive as it does performance, of course. Plus the flat plane crank sound is quite frankly the best sounding car I've ever heard period. That's where it ends. Its a great fun NA car...and it shows coming in 2nd only to a 200k mclaren. If ford has any backbone and competitiveness, the new Uber mustang will be awesome. I love manual tranny cars and I intent to always have one, I'm looking very much forward to having a great performing auto.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
It seems like the performance might be there, but there are too many other problems with the current generation Camaro. GM can't even sell them without discounts. Meanwhile many GT350s are still selling over MSRP, even 2 years after the release. I really wish GM had done a better job making a worthy competitor to the Mustang. That would have pushed Ford to release a high HP car replacing the GT350 sooner. But at the moment it looks like more of the GT350s are going to be selling, with the GT500 or its replacement not even needed right now.
Honest question, what are all the issues with the Camaro? I'm sure if I search the ford and camaro forums you'll come up with plenty of issues for each. Also as of the last reading I saw GM wasn't offering much discounts until recently, and as I recall Ford has been offering incentives since the release, so whats your point. The GT350R is seling for over msrp, but from what I can see you can get a standard 350 for under msrp. The ZL1/1LE pretty much dominates the 350 in the performance category as of now. Now the companies will never tell us the profit margins on these cars, but remember its not how many cars you can sell, it's how much can you make.
Sponsored