Sponsored

wildcatgoal's Build - 2016 DIB GT PP

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Damn.... good save! Great job just driving off and keeping it straight. I was thinking 'what wall?' when you first went off and then I puckered up a little when it came into view. Too bad you couldn't get outside a little more before going into the turn.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Almost made friends with a wall at Road Atlanta yesterday. Missed it by that much!

Avoid those kinds of friends. I have two race car hood skins hanging up in my garage from making friends with the walls of Road Atlanta. They are all that's left from both cars. That corner of the garage is referred to as "The Wall of Shame". :doh:

Not uncommon when passing there to come in too hot and on the inside of T1. ;)

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes - that was very close, glad you were able to keep it clean.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Do you have any footage from the earlier sessions? I'm looking for my buddy in the red Radical.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Looks like your boy is gonna have some ARH headers on his POS, soon. I think I'll get them ceramic-coated first, though. Might as well since they're fresh. Went with catted since I have to have cats in my county. Now the quest to make it possible for my car to pass noise limits at Atlanta Motorsports Park with headers (not possible with current catback, proven) will begin. Likely will replace the back half of my catback (J-pipes) with mufflers from some axleback system. Don't want the added weight but... we'll see.
IMG_32571.jpg
IMG_32581.jpg

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
It's ghetto, but you could make some sort of clamp-on turn out for the tailpipes that you run just at AMP. Kind of like what a bunch of the OEMs run at the Nordschleife on test days.

gallery-1492711552-zr1-exhaust.jpg

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
That's exactly what I ran when I was at Laguna Seca. It only helps to direct the noise away from the sound mic.

Sponsored
OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Last weekend I attended Gridlife South at Road Atlanta and competed in my first time trial/time attack! I'm sure you will see zero video of me on track hitting apexes, instead only when I spun out before the "esses" once. Haha.

Anyway, to my surprise, I achieved 5th place (out of 16) in the Street - RWD class with a 1:38.735 (31st among all groups -- see the results here). While I'm still leaving time on the table (my calculated "best possible" lap times are into the 1:36s, per RaceChrono), I'm hugely proud of this considering that gets pretty close to last year's winning time, I achieved PB after PB over the weekend, was faster than many cars in higher classes with gutted interiors and roll cages, and I was in the same Group B run group as the season regulars (based on best time). I also seemed to be the only car in the top 5 with heated/cooled leather seats out there, haha -- I was truly full weight (except the air pump). I did the whole event in Track Mode, leaving some TC on. Unfortunately I was not able to get my new American Racing Headers headers installed before this event, so I was a bit down on power-to-weight ratio compared to my faster competition but the Steeda 93 tune I have was amazing!

First place was a 1:35.998 (also setting the track record for Gridlife), achieved by Ron Spear, a Gridlife/time trial regular, in an S197. He really sent that thing and I just wish I could have watched his lines and what not, but being in the same run group (or early-on the one after), I couldn't. I'm sure he'll have video up some day soon and we can all copy/paste and be just as fast as time, haha.

He's a really nice guy and helped me refine my tire pressures which I was struggling with - some folks told me to run RE-71s at about 28 hot. That felt terrible, and eventually targeted 34 hot like he suggested and they were much more suited to my style. They seem to slip almost perfectly just right without our "Track Mode" setting getting too overly concerned about it, thereby not cutting off power all the time. I am happy I spent the money on them.

While there were close to 10 cars that crashed in some way at this event, I made it out unscathed except for a dent on the top of my trunk door caused my me... closing the trunk door. Ridiculously thin metal, but I think it can be popped out. If not, maybe I'll cover it with some kind of useless visual aid spoiler so at least there's not a dent warping light driving me insane. The RE-71R tires were really quite interesting and impressive. They would get a little loose in the last couple of laps of a session, so I learned to go hard, rest, go hard, rest, which coincidentally is a strategy one plays in time trial anyway. Once I started getting the hang of "how to time trial" (vs. "how to HPDE") I started doing much better.

There'll be videos and photos galore of this event. I had a photographer friend out there hopefully taking SOME photos of my car. I'm on business trips right now so I can't deal with my GoPro video yet.

Want to thank:
- Solo Performance Exhaust -- for sponsoring me at this event! Yes, someone sponsored ME (...weird). Best sounding Mustang at the event--no question.
- OPMustang.com -- for the G-LOC R12/R10 brake pads that allowed me to generate commentary from people like... "he braked SOOOO late before 10A and still made it"
- Steeda Autosports -- for making the suspension parts that made it possible to get into the 1:38s, which was my own personal goal... and I did it!

I know nobody has read this far but... again, I'm really happy with 5th place. If I am able to do this kind of thing more often, podium will be a goal. But... 5th is way better than I anticipated, especially for my first competition. :)

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Congrats again dude! That's awesome! Can't wait until I can make it out to Road Atlanta with you sometime soon(maybe in December with NASA?)

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm probably shutting it down for the rest of the year as I need to divert money elsewhere for a while. I may go to JZilla's event at RA in September, but that costs me less than a NASA event right now so it's more possible. :(

This Gridlife thing was kind of my last hurrah for the year...

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Great job! You are better than you thought. :dance:

I have someone out here in SoCal that was telling me to give Time Attack a try.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

When I broke 1:40. Not my fastest lap, didn't get video of that one unfortunately.
Sponsored