Sponsored

Custom Lower Grille on GT with ACC

JKMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Hey Guys,

I've searched and searched, but it seems there are no answers on this subject (at least that I can find).

I have a '17 GT PP with Adaptive Cruise. With this (similar to block heater) you get a V6 style lower grille opening. I read somewhere that the ACC sensor is tucked behind the panels of this lower grille opening, but not directly attached.

I'm wanting to go with the "fang" style lower opening. I'm wondering if the lower opening could be fabricated with a panel similar to the V6 grille to protect the sensor (if this is indeed what it is for).

Thoughts? Anyone have a link to any compatible lower openings...because I'm not finding much of anything.
Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
The lower grille for ACC sensor needs to fulfill two things:
* protect the ACC sensor
* have a plain surface made from some kind of plastic to not obstruct the ACC radar

So far I am only aware of the V6 style lower grille that can be used with ACC.

I do have the same issue because I (will) have ACC but I am not so happy with the lower grille.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just speculation, but if the sensor is not attached to the grill, the only requirements I could imagine for the lower grill is that it be "invisible" to the sensor and provide protection from impacts. I can't image Ford used some exotic material for every V6, export, lower grill, so run of the mill grill plastic material must be very transparent to the sensors. But if not virtually transparent, I could imagine varying thickness in front of the sensor (such as some mesh) might be seen by the sensor as ghosts and confuse the programming. So.... best case would be just to slap a protective layer onto the back of a grill in front of the sensor if the grill didn't already have that. Worst case would be to replace the area of a grill in front of the sensor, with a flat piece.

OP
OP

JKMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Kinda what I was thinking. If I installed the GT "fang" lower grille and install a piece of protective plastic roughly the same size as the V6 solid areas, it may/should do the same thing. I'm not worried about the small amount that isn't open, as most of the grille (upper and lower) is already blocked off.

Since my car is parked and inaccessible at the moment, I wanted to throw out my thoughts and see if anyone had any good ideas. I don't really want to take the front apart only to have it fail (if someone has already gone down the discovery path).

I might just order up some upper and lower openings and start fabricating while the snow is still flying and give it a shot in the spring time.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
As long as the protective plastic is a plain sheet and there is no grill structure behind this it should work...

Please share your experience. I would like to follow that approach as well.

OP
OP

JKMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
With that in mind, the "fang" may be the problem. I would see that running right up in front of that sensor...

Although, even switching to an all mesh lower grille I think would look better than the V6 one.
Sponsored