OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Received mine yesterday, made much better than I expected!:thumbsup:

Has anyone used these on an aftermarket hood yet? While waiting on these to arrive, I ended up working a deal and buying a 3" Trufiber cowl hood locally. It has hood like our OEM hood, and I've been told my stock vents work with this hood. Just wondering if these WILL work, and how they would look with the cowl hood..

Bob
Yeah the quality is really noticeable when you see them in hand.

Do you have a pic of the hood? If you are being told the stock vents fit than these will fit to. I would suspect that some moding will still need to be done but you should be able to dry lay it together. The only problem I can think of is that new hood you bought being most likely fiberglass is a single form that has contours that won’t allow the vent and sub-bracket to sandwich flat together. Let us know what you find out.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Just wanted to chime in that I did this mod to my car. Quality is top notch. I had them on for my race down in FL. Had the car up above 170mph - no negatives at that speed that I could tell.

Can't stress this enough if you use a dremel to remove material like I did - use a blanket or sheet over the engine bay, wear goggles, and wear a light duty respirator. I also wore a hoody with the hood up. The aluminum shavings and dust get absolutely everywhere.

I do think it takes away from being a daily driver for me. I don't drive my car in the rain anyway, but now that my blower is fully exposed to moisture it's a no-go for me. Crazy how much heat can come out when the car is just standing still though. Sometimes felt like I could roast a marshmallow.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
What did you use to put down your cut line? There is no template so my only thought is using the backing to draw your minimum cut line (anything more and you will start to block the vent) and slow cut back from there.

I like to measure twice and cut once. Not sure I want to eyeball this one.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
If you look at the 8th pic in the first post I drew up some lines that followed the original factory open cuts. There is no specific size on the bottom section cut other than you need enough clearance for the bottom plate to be able to fit flush against the bottom of the upper hood section. The cut forward was much further than I thought I would have to do but it’s no big dea and not drawn out on that pic but you can see the size of the full bottom cut. The three smaller trip pieces are the upper hood section.

Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Just wanted to chime in that I did this mod to my car. Quality is top notch. I had them on for my race down in FL. Had the car up above 170mph - no negatives at that speed that I could tell.

Can't stress this enough if you use a dremel to remove material like I did - use a blanket or sheet over the engine bay, wear goggles, and wear a light duty respirator. I also wore a hoody with the hood up. The aluminum shavings and dust get absolutely everywhere.

I do think it takes away from being a daily driver for me. I don't drive my car in the rain anyway, but now that my blower is fully exposed to moisture it's a no-go for me. Crazy how much heat can come out when the car is just standing still though. Sometimes felt like I could roast a marshmallow.
What kind of tool did you use that made such a mess? I could see a Dremel with a grinding attachment making a mess but what about a small cut off wheel?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Dremel with metal cutting wheels. Went through a bunch of them. The Dremel wheels as they're cutting lose material and then aluminum is removed as mostly dust in the channel that gets cut. I also cut at max RPM, though...I'm not a Dremel expert lol.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Anyone who has installed these notice any decrease in engine oil temps during HPDE events? If so, can you post your experience?

Really interested in these as I like how they take advantage of the stock vent location and look more "integrated" to the hood versus some other options.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Highly doubt these will be a significant contributor to reducing oil temps. Need a dedicated oil cooler for that. Put one on my car. See build log last pages.

Tmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT PP
Can anybody who has installed these post some pics of the under hood cutting? I just picked these up and am a little nervous to hack my hood up. OP pictures aren't showing up for me

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Well hell, I am the OP and I can’t see them. Give me some time and I’ll try to get those reposted. Here are some pics of what you’re asking for in the meantime.

All material removed from left side; right will be no different.

6_E48_B012-_D9_D9-43_FC-8433-5_EFBA4_DBEC57.jpg

Top view after all cutting.

86318486-_EBB7-415_F-_B8_B9-5_E866216_D913.jpg

Before adding trim

FBE498_B2-_F6_F5-42_E9-_AF69-413_A7_B7_DE5_B6.jpg

After adding trim

F54_DD354-2_F35-4379-9228-6439_A5_E86908.jpg

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Tmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT PP
Hey that definitely helps me out I appreciate it!

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
No problem. Just go slow and start smaller. You can always remove more.

Here is one of my guideline shots. These follow the natural line and are completely adequate. You will cut further forward (not drawn) than you think because of the rib on the vent. You’ll see.

4_CC5_C7_D0-7632-47_F2-8_FFE-_C11268_F8_AEFC.jpg

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else having issues with the bolts rusting? Mine started just a week after install.

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Can anybody who has installed these post some pics of the under hood cutting? I just picked these up and am a little nervous to hack my hood up. OP pictures aren't showing up for me
Can't see pics from on top of the hood....:shrug:
Sponsored