Sponsored

Whatever happened to the blown motor thread or oil burning thread?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It seemed like there was a short period of engine failures but I haven't heard anything at all for quite a while. A few people were vocal about oil consumption, while I haven't had what I consider to be a problem in this car (less than 1qt/5k miles....I've had two Audi RS4s and my previous one did use some oil *probably 1qt/3k miles*...so I'm familiar with high-RPM engines that can use some oil...but that has always been par for the course for me.

I only bring this up because there are a couple of people who constantly talk about the reliability issues of the GT350 engine....even though I suspect they have no data and are just bringing it up to make them feel better about whatever choice they are making (or because they want to be made to look as if they are making some wiser choice than others)...

Anyone hear of any recent cars?...or even an early 16 that might have been from whatever batch had a few failures?
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
It seemed like there was a short period of engine failures but I haven't heard anything at all for quite a while. A few people were vocal about oil consumption, while I haven't had what I consider to be a problem in this car (less than 1qt/5k miles....I've had two Audi RS4s and my previous one did use some oil *probably 1qt/3k miles*...so I'm familiar with high-RPM engines that can use some oil...but that has always been par for the course for me.

I only bring this up because there are a couple of people who constantly talk about the reliability issues of the GT350 engine....even though I suspect they have no data and are just bringing it up to make them feel better about whatever choice they are making (or because they want to be made to look as if they are making some wiser choice than others)...

Anyone hear of any recent cars?...or even an early 16 that might have been from whatever batch had a few failures?
I haven't been around for awhile, but I hope the reason is because they fixed whatever needed to be fixed and they aren't doing either nearly as much. :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for starting the thread. I haven't seen anything yet to convince me that the Voodoo will be significantly less reliable than the Coyote. However, I'm always interested to hear about other peoples' experiences.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
It may be that now that miles are being put on these engines the oil consumption for some has dissipated. Still checking mine and scheduling an oil change soon.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I actually had not thought about it for a while....but like I said, some people are hanging their hats on it, it seems. I cant deny, it seemed like we had reports of 6-7 confirmed failures, all pretty close together but that seems like a year ago..or more, at this point.

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I think many are finding out these engines are very robust and some will sip oil and others will drink a lot depending on driving style mileage etc. I also think there will always be a small percentage of failures due to manufacturing but feel that number is really very low. I also think many owners are more aware of the fact they need to pull the dipstick out and actually check there oil at least once a month on this vehicle as it is part of ownership.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Just did my oil, no worries here. Oil consumption is good, there were no crazy stuff in my cartridge filter, even the oil that came out looked good.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wonder what percentage are garaged for the winter or driven a lot fewer miles at this time of year? Might hear more six months from now. Agree most are probably paying attention to oil level that read this forum but don't know how many GT350 owners do. However if true there are fewer problems, kind of puts the OPG worries to rest.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
One word....WINTER

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I'm at 27,000 miles now. I think I've added 4 quarts since I last had my oil changed at 21,750.

I've been trying to track the details in my thread (linked in sig), but I may have missed an added quart when I was at Buttonwillow.

In any case, my car definitely eats oil, but seems to run great, so I'm just driving it hard and considering it a cost of business. We'll see what happens in a year or so when I need to get the car smogged.

-T

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
One word....WINTER
Not the entire Country and most of you guys were driving most of last year. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, it seems like a long time.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
We'll see what happens in a year or so when I need to get the car smogged.

-T
We "should" still have 3-4 more years before we need to SMOG even though we bought out of state.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

For performance started using more pixie dust to keep engine from failing

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP