Sponsored

Thinking about trading in!

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hey guys i have a 2015 GT that I ordered when the banks first opened way back then. At the moment of buying it I didn't know we had a baby on the way, now I don't know what to do its not really convenient for me. I'm thinking of getting a wrx for the better fuel economy it's 4 door so I can actually fit a baby seat and awd for this Chicago weather. Was just hoping to get some opinions on what u guys think ? Should I look at something else ? Anyone have expirience with wrx's ? Should I just keep my car ? Lol
Sponsored

kkakonn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hey guys i have a 2015 GT that I ordered when the banks first opened way back then. At the moment of buying it I didn't know we had a baby on the way, now I don't know what to do its not really convenient for me. I'm thinking of getting a wrx for the better fuel economy it's 4 door so I can actually fit a baby seat and awd for this Chicago weather. Was just hoping to get some opinions on what u guys think ? Should I look at something else ? Anyone have expirience with wrx's ? Should I just keep my car ? Lol
Its actually a great car for someone who needs a fun daily driver. If you can only have 1 car and it HAS to have 4 doors its probably one of the best buys in that price range. Or you can always keep the mustang and buy another 4 door car / daily.

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Well the other reason besides more space is im also trying to save some money, right now I'm getting 15mpg on my gt lol I'm probably thinking of getting a base wrx I think they go for 27k and close to 30mpg so that should help a bit.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
MPG isn't really that much better for a turbo 4. Not really worth trading in. Convenience and practicality is entire different. Obviously 4 doors and a usable backseat is a must with kids. I don't have any kids myself but if I did I'd still want a fun car. Can't go straight to a minivan or a Camry. I'd kill myself.

But WRX, charger RT, and focus st would be at the top of my list.
But I'd keep the car if wifey has something practical. If this is your only car then you have to do what you have to do. Prepared to get killed on trade in.

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My wife has a suv but our work schedules are different so a 4 door would come in handy for me to have just in case. What can I expect on trade in for a 15 gt premium with pp it has like 8k miles on it.

Sponsored

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Sounds like your kind is made up? I hav been through 3 kids. Youngest is now 19. Best I can tell you, everything usually works out. If you keep the car, you will figure it out.

You mention mpg a lot. Do this math for yourself, figure out what you can reasonably expect for trade in. Then how much down do you have, or would you need to put down on the wrx? just on cost to get into the wrx, how many miles do you need to drive to make that difference to break even based on mpg? I bet you I'll be looking at years of mpg difference before you break even. I did that once buying a focus st and trading in an AWD 5.0 Ford Explorer. That was like 16 mpg to 27 mpg. YEARS!

2 door versus 4 door. Your call. A child seat will fit in the back. It will be years before your child is out of that seat and needs legroom. Last time I checked, both my front seats moved forward to get access to the back. I only scanned this section, but I thought the user manual tells you how to connect a baby seat. Handy... Come on. The seats tilt forward, yes 4 doors is a 'little' easier, but 2 doors is not that tough to work with.

4-5 years from now, you will really need to consider 4 doors. For now, you have enough baby stuff to buy and expenses that getting into a new car will limit your buying. I'd rather have a great stroller, cradle, baby swing, diapers, formula... Dude, you have lots of other stuff to think about than a car.

Something to think about with little kids and 4 doors. Happened to me twice. Kids DO NOT THINK. They really do not think in parking lots. No matter how many times I told them to watch for other cars before opening the door, they get all jacked up in a parking lot, thinking about going into wherever you are, and slam open the rear doors without care and a second before we could stop them. I had to pay for 2 dented doors from my son. $600 each time.

Unless you are looking at creating a reason to get a wrx before the baby comes, I can't see it, but maybe the math and logic work for you. Good Luck! Congratulations and I wish the mother and baby stay healthy and you get 10 fingers and 10 toes! It's gonna be awesome. A couple years from now, I guarantee you won't remember what it was like before kids. whatever you decide, it will work out. Always does.

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
As a person who sold a mustang ' to fit the kid'..... I wouldn't do it again.... I would have just bought a used civic or accord ..... But that's my opinion.... I took a big lose to trade for a family car

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
Ive got a baby on the way too and it's the one thing keeping me from buying a GT. I'm considering a used SS since it would be more baby friendly.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Ok, I had a 2012 WRX, so let me chime in here

I honestly enjoyed driving the WRX more than this GT. I like the GT a lot better, but it's complicated. The GT scares me a bit. Plus, it's auto - you couldnt buy a WRX with an auto for many years until just recently again.

If I was in your shoes, and needed a car for kids and to drive rain or shine, there is no question that I would look at another WRX. If you can drive, then with just intake, exhaust, and a cobb tune you will beat up on all but the best driven mustangs as long as you keep it to semi-legal speeds around town. They are very fun cars, and you don't really have to alter how you drive them when it's raining - that makes them very fun. I'm lucky enough to have the GT as my 3rd car, so I don't ever have to take it out unless conditions are perfect.

Also, the factory upgraded sound system in the WRX I had was the best sounding car audio in any car I've owned (and I've had 23 cars now). It was ridiculous. The GT has the base system, which sucks, so I know it's apples to oranges, but yea -get the upgraded system if you can.

So, find a good deal on a manual WRX with upgraded audio, homelink, STi shifter, and arm rest extension. The rest of the options are unnecessary. Install a cobb intake, nameless exhaust setup, and cobb stage 1 tune. At speeds under 80mph, you will LOVE the car.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Man I'm with the rest of them lol, I'd consider keeping the mustang at least for a while. A baby isn't that big, and I'd probably regret it later on if it were me in that position. If the missus were pressuring me to get rid of it, I might be resentful of that later on.

That's just where I personally sit though. Overall, I'd say do whichever you truly want to do the most. I mean, there's plenty of pros and cons to justify going either way with it honestly.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Ive been in your shoes a long time ago. Had my sports car that i liked sold it to get an suv cause my kids kept coming in as of now i have 3 kids 14,10 and 5. I sold the suv cause i dont like suvs and bought myself a GT. People kept telling me that iam nuts. Hey iam happy with my car i bought a dailydriver for a cheap price and thats were i carry my kids and wife. Dont sell your car if you like it very much. Try better buying a cheap daily driver and keep the GT.

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I had a 15 WRX I traded in for my S550 GT convertible. It was a great car and regret not just keeping it. The WRX has a very roomy and usable interior. I'm 6' 5" and the WRX was the first car with a sunroof that I actually fit comfortably in.

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks for the responses guys! Im leaning towards keeping it, if i really wanted to i could probably manage with it. Ive also put quite a bit of money into it, and to lose so much on trade in for only having it such a short while isn't worth it to me. My monthly payment would only drop like $100 too

davidathomas42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 5.0 V8
I just bought my GT in the UK here and have a 1.5 year old and were attempting number 2 currently......... I ain't selling!

The missis has an SUV and 99.9% of the time we use the family wagon all together. Outside that grandma does a few runs with the little girl. Outside that she's now forward facing and she loves daddy's car as we rock to Emmimem on the radio lol

Don't sell the Stang. You will regret it.

My wife only works 3 days now so even if she's having a day off and it's my turn with the child I generally take her car as she wants some time with feet up watching trashy TV and home. My car spends a lot of time on the driveway keeping it clean and looked after and I get 35+ mpg out of her SUV so save some gas

KEEP THE STANG!
Sponsored