Sponsored

Car makes squealling sounds only at startup-Whipple

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'll take a video and post. And I haven't popped the hood on starup yet to investigate.
But my car has 6500 miles. Whipple since about 1500 mi approx. I bought the car w/5500 mi.

Just lately I notice when I start it up, I hear like a best squeal for about 1-5 minutes. Then it goes away. If I stop somewhere and start it up, I usually don't hear it. Only on first startup.

I take it this is not normal. Can't imagine a bad belt, maybe something is misaligned..?
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
When was your Whipple kit purchased. They made a revision to the pulley stands and tension last year to fix belt noise.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
My Kenne Bell does it every day until the belt gets warm. I've replaced every idler bearing and pulley. It's the gates xrpm belt that does it on my setup.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Gates green belt is quiet...

Sponsored

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Maybe some belt dressing in order? ?
I'm gonna try changing the belt again when my smaller pulley gets here this week. The only other thing I see is some pulley wobble on the ribbed idler pulley. Since I just replaced it ill order up new spacers for it as I just replaced the pulley. The spacers on the 2 flat idlers snap in and are hard to remove and the ones on the ribbed idler seem to have some slop and fall out.

Is there any difference between the green belt and the rpm belts? I'm going down to a 3 3/8 pulley with the stock damper.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I'm gonna try changing the belt again when my smaller pulley gets here this week. The only other thing I see is some pulley wobble on the ribbed idler pulley. Since I just replaced it ill order up new spacers for it as I just replaced the pulley. The spacers on the 2 flat idlers snap in and are hard to remove and the ones on the ribbed idler seem to have some slop and fall out.

Is there any difference between the green belt and the rpm belts? I'm going down to a 3 3/8 pulley with the stock damper.
100% is misalignment, something is off. We chased for sometime and it’s purely misalignment in some position. Could be caused by tensioner rock.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I'll take a video and post. And I haven't popped the hood on starup yet to investigate.
But my car has 6500 miles. Whipple since about 1500 mi approx. I bought the car w/5500 mi.

Just lately I notice when I start it up, I hear like a best squeal for about 1-5 minutes. Then it goes away. If I stop somewhere and start it up, I usually don't hear it. Only on first startup.

I take it this is not normal. Can't imagine a bad belt, maybe something is misaligned..?
Misalignment. We’ve seen some customers not follow proper instructions, download our tensioner instructions from our site to realign the system. Also remove idler plate and check all the stands and check that they match the proper position, they are all numbered.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
When was your Whipple kit purchased. They made a revision to the pulley stands and tension last year to fix belt noise.
Sorry I forgot to turn on notifications for this thread.

It was purchased 9/18/2015 and installed by Stillen shop in Costa Mesa, CA.
So how do I get the revisions? I'm not mechanical as far as installing this stuff. Would I just take it to the speed shop, have them order and install?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Misalignment. We’ve seen some customers not follow proper instructions, download our tensioner instructions from our site to realign the system. Also remove idler plate and check all the stands and check that they match the proper position, they are all numbered.
Thanks, but I'll take it to the local performance shop here to take a look if anything. I'm not touching it myself.

It does go away pretty quickly but I guess it should be looked at. Problem is it's only at start up really. Might not be able to replicate at the shop.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Thanks, but I'll take it to the local performance shop here to take a look if anything. I'm not touching it myself.

It does go away pretty quickly but I guess it should be looked at. Problem is it's only at start up really. Might not be able to replicate at the shop.
Mine does the same thing. I’ve heard many other you tube videos with the same. Belt chirp. Haven’t tried Whipple suggested fix which was go loosen up the supercharger and retighten it down. Here’s mine

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Sounds like a pulley misalignment. I shimed the water pump pulley with flat washers on my KB and it went away for good. The is some discrepancies in the water pump hubs when they are pressed on. Try placing some washers behind the water pump pulley. It's only a 10 min job.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Sounds like a pulley misalignment. I shimed the water pump pulley with flat washers on my KB and it went away for good. The is some discrepancies in the water pump hubs when they are pressed on. Try placing some washers behind the water pump pulley. It's only a 10 min job.
Yes the water pump pulley is part of the issue, some wobble, some vary in position. Since the belt has little distance between idlers, its more likely to be sensitive to misalignment.

The issue is, very few can accurately measure these, its not something you can eyeball, its very small.

Best is to first loosen all manifold to head bolts (not remove). Loosen idler bracket, all bolts. Retorque idler plate to block bolts. Then torque the 10mm bolt that pulls SC forward to idler plate, then tighten manifold to head bolts. That's the proper way. I've seen too many mount the manifold, tighten, then put plate on, but this puts the SC pulley out of alignment in most cases.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine does the same thing. I’ve heard many other you tube videos with the same. Belt chirp. Haven’t tried Whipple suggested fix which was go loosen up the supercharger and retighten it down. Here’s mine
Yeah that sound like mine. Does yours go away? I never hear mine except for the first few minutes when cold.
Sponsored