Sponsored

Coincidence or ??

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
Recently I added a Sai Li fuel system and got an E85 tune for it. I made the switch from 93 and flashed the tune. I drove it a few miles and parked it in my driveway. The very next day, I began having low voltage warnings. The alternator was replaced under warranty, and everything seemed fine.

This past weekend, I went to refill on E85 for the first time and the local station had quit carrying it. Since I don't know of any other stations in the area that carry it, I had a 93 tune reloaded and filled up with 93. I drove it a few miles on 93, everything seemed ok, and I parked it in the driveway again.

The next day, I went to drive the car and I received a low voltage warning again. This seems far too much like a pattern to be a fluke, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Is there any chance at all that a fuel change and/or tune flash could have any issues with the electrical system? I'm at my wits end here because I've had nothing but bad luck ever since I had the fuel system and headers installed and a new tune to back them up. Thoughts?
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I had a Alt go bad after a Flex Fuel tune install. I reached out to Lund and he assured me there was nothing in the Tune that touches that . I went to straight E85 later and have not had any issues since so I chalked it up to bad timing and a bad alt.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
How did you wire the sai li system to prime? Like stock or continuously?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
How did you wire the sai li system to prime? Like stock or continuously?
I would definitely wire it like stock,that's how i did mine.This way the pumps will prime then cut off until the engine is running.

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
My pumps are wired to run all the time ..It's ok that way as long as you don't tap the brake peddle getting out of the car ..If you do tap the brake by accident the pumps will keep running .. I'm going to change mine back to stock to the pumps so they time out like stock because I need to have some work done at the dealer and I know them jack wagons will hit the brakes with the car off and kill my battery or pumps ..

Sponsored

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
My pumps are wired to run all the time ..It's ok that way as long as you don't tap the brake peddle getting out of the car ..If you do tap the brake by accident the pumps will keep running .. I'm going to change mine back to stock to the pumps so they time out like stock because I need to have some work done at the dealer and I know them jack wagons will hit the brakes with the car off and kill my battery or pumps ..
This is probably your issue.. two different ways to wire the pumps.

OP
OP
Beerdy

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
I'll talk to the installer today to confirm. However, if this were the case, wouldn't it be draining the battery and making the car unable to start? In my case, the car will start and run but as soon as I start driving it around, the voltage will drop into the 10.x range.

I suppose it's not impossible to have gotten another bad alternator, but FFS, you'd think it would have been bad right away and not wait a couple of weeks to start shitting itself.

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
I'll talk to the installer today to confirm. However, if this were the case, wouldn't it be draining the battery and making the car unable to start? In my case, the car will start and run but as soon as I start driving it around, the voltage will drop into the 10.x range.

I suppose it's not impossible to have gotten another bad alternator, but FFS, you'd think it would have been bad right away and not wait a couple of weeks to start shitting itself.
With knowing that now.. I don't think the pump wiring is the issue. The only wiring the installer should of done was, fusing together a few wires at the fuel pump wiring harness and running a power wire to the fuse box. It sound's like something else is causing an issue, unrelated to the fuel system install.

With the vehicle off, he should be able to hook a volt meter up to see if it's pulling power.

OP
OP
Beerdy

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
Bumping this for further visibility. The car has since eaten another alternator and I'm getting ready to set the fucking thing on fire and walk away. :frusty:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Bumping this for further visibility. The car has since eaten another alternator and I'm getting ready to set the fucking thing on fire and walk away. :frusty:
What kind of RPM are you running it to? Someone mentioned ours will not survive with long pulls above 7500rpm. There is a boss one that I think will work rated at higher rpm or maybe a different size pulley....:shrug:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beerdy

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
What kind of RPM are you running it to? Someone mentioned ours will not survive with long pulls above 7500rpm. There is a boss one that I think will work rated at higher rpm or maybe a different size pulley....:shrug:
Nothing high because I never even had a finalized tune. I was trying to get to the point where it was fixed and reliable so I could do some logging for diablomatt, but the alternator just keeps dying. The guy working on it for me just keeps replacing them but there HAS to be some underlying cause. This all started after installing headers, OPG and TG, ATI damper, Mishimoto radiator, Sai Li fuel system, and running the baseline tune.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Your best bet is to get another experienced set of eyes on it. If your current guy just keeps replacing alternators and it keeps happening, there's clearly something he's missing.

Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp - white
Have you checked the amperage draw thru the fuel system? Does the power wire have an inline fuse?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
That is bizarre. I would check all the power wiring to the alternator and battery, as well as the small electrical wires that plug into the alternator.

Do you have a volt meter you could put on the battery and compare voltage while the car is on and off?

Does the car still start and operate properly aside from the warning on the dash?

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I have NEVER had a friend (or customer I deal with) lose an alternator.

Frankly I think the last alternator I know of failing was back in like 2004 when I overspun my cobra alternator to like 8,000 rpm (with an overdrive pulley)

Even our company car has had a fuel system on it, for a couple years now with zero issues.

I hope you can find your root cause.
Sponsored