I done broke it!

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
But, at least I got to ride in a tow truck! Broke a half shaft.

Driving to work yesterday and nailed second gear - Bang! The car wouldn't move. At the time I figured I broke the DS or the output shaft in the tranny. My thoughts were that because I have the PP with the Torsen, that if it was an axle shaft, the car should at least still move... Nope!

Called for a tow, had the car brought home and took my truck into work. When I got home, I put her up on jackstands. I could see nothing visibly wrong. trans, DS and half shafts all looked fine. So I started her up, brought up the clutch then started looking around underneath. The driveshaft was spinning and one halfshaft was spinning. Here's where it gets funky. The half shaft that was spinning was spinning as it came out of the pumpkin, the intermediate shaft was spinning and putting power into the outer CV. The outer shaft, however was doing nothing. Something broke inside the outer CV joint. Oddly enough, the half shaft looks fine! I figured a break may result in it coming apart and banging and whipping all around, but no.

So,why wasn't the other half shaft spinning? As it turns out, with a Torsen, when one side has zero load (as is the case with a broken halfshaft), the other side won't get any torque! In this case a torsen acts as an open differential!

A lessons learned. When the forum says these things will break if you do such and such, it's probably true! Don't let yourself think it won't happen to me. My Whipple has been on since July and I have had to upgrade the clutch and the halfshafts - just as they said!

Anyway, my Driveshaft Shop 800hp halfshafts will be here tomorrow.

John
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
It's always the yellow cars that break driveline parts.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Pics of what I found when I took out the broken half-shaft and took it apart...

John
snap1.jpg
snap2.jpg

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I never broke one but thought about it Every time I launched at the track. Now I just think about the clutch, trans or driveshaft!:headbang: