Sponsored

0-60 Time with FRPP 2, 3.15 Auto, and other mods

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
No doubt but with warm 305's I shouldn't be spinning as much as I did.
Of course you will. 1st gear in the auto is 4.17, that's pretty steep. Plus your 305's probably have to short of a sidewall.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
With the rear 275 MPSS launching at 2k rpm the tires don't really light up that badly at all. It's mostly a couple little hops and a little spin but nothing crazy. I'm installing the steeda vertical links next week so hopefully between the steeda IRS bushing system and vertical links, we should mitigate that entirely.

First gear is 4.17 so it's definitely short enough to light up the tires...but it's mainly 2nd that hurts the 0-60 time since that is pretty tall (2.34). I still think the sweet spot is around 1.5k RPMs....just haven't tested it :(

Also next week I will be doing the 3.55 gear swap so we'll see what happens there but overall even with the 3.15s I'm pretty sure 4.3 (no 1-foot rollout) or so even in 90 degree humid florida weather is very doable with a great launch.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
[MENTION=30245]MrFarms[/MENTION] did you buy the whole 3.55 pumpkin or are you just swapping the gears?

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
@MrFarms did you buy the whole 3.55 pumpkin or are you just swapping the gears?
I am having my local speed shop in Florida handle it but they are not buying the entire housing unit...they are buying the parts separately since it can save me a few bucks once its all done.

Parts would be FRPP 3.55 (M-4209-88355A)
Traction-LOK 34 Spline 8.8 (M-4204-M)

All the other parts/bearings/accessories they have at the shop if they are needed.

I am also going with the J&M vertical links with spherical bearings so we'll see how that goes :)

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
^ Cool, good luck! Let us know how you like the new gears.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I've often debated on doing the swap let me know how it goes if it is a night and day difference?

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I've often debated on doing the swap let me know how it goes if it is a night and day difference?
Absolutely. I will definitely post an update to this thread as soon as I can sometime next week!

OP
OP
MrFarms

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hey all,

OK so little update:

I went on Saturday to get my new gears (3.55) and vertical links installed.

I went with J&M vertical links with the spherical bearings. I chose spherical because it is apparently the most firm option which should theoretically eliminate the most wheel hop between the different types of vertical links out there. The downside to this is more NVH.

Long story short - The site my shop bought the gears from shipped the wrong set, so my correct gears will be coming in tomorrow and I should be able to get them installed tomorrow afternoon.

Regarding vertical links - Absolutely amazing. It's actually a little comical how much better these upgrades make the car. While the IRS bushing system from Steeda made a world of difference, you could still tell wheel hop was present under a hard launch with the MPSS.

Now, under a hard launch, I really don't think I felt any wheel hop at all. I will continue to test, but really between the IRS bushing system and vertical links, it really seems to be gone. If I floor it, the car kind of kicks out sideways a little, with the rear wheels definitely planted. This never happened before in the same manner it does now. There is, I believe, a very slight increase to NVH...but it is very hard to tell and I don't like to be subjective on these things so the jury is still out on that one.

Overall, to put things in perspective - with my stock tires/suspension, I couldn't get lower than 5.3 to 60 time after time (granted it's still like 90 degrees and humid here in Florida when i'm testing)....but with my new setup (prior to vertical links) I could do 4.6 without really trying. I'm pretty confident I can do a 4.3 even without the 3.55 gear swap now with the new links installed.

I really have no idea how these car magazines are hitting like 4.4-4.5 completely stock even with the 1-foot rollout. Serious pro drivers and throttle control apparently.

Will keep everyone posted :)

Thank you!

Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hey all,

I really have no idea how these car magazines are hitting like 4.4-4.5 completely stock even with the 1-foot rollout. Serious pro drivers and throttle control apparently.
To me it seems like the average driver will always be close to half a second off published 0-60 times. For example the Challenger Scat Pack and the Camaro SS automatic should be hitting 60mph in 3.9 sec, but if you Youtube it, people are getting 4.5 and up. One video I can remember the guy, in an automatic SS, was struggling hard to get below 5 seconds. Even AWD cars such as the Nissan GTR, which publications tout as consistently fast that anyone can drive, if you go to the drag strip average drivers are always quite a bit slower.

SubZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 401A
I can get 4.5 seconds on the car’s timer completely stock (other than a Corsa catback) with a shift to third just before 60...warmed up Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires though. May be able to do better, I’ve only tried a handful of times in the 2+ years I’ve had the car :p.
Sponsored