10-speed auto swap

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
So as we all know, the new 2018 mustangs are coming out with 10-speed automatics. Anyone have any ideas or think it would eventually be possible for one to swap the 6-speed auto for the 10-speed?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
It probably bolts up but the key is tuning it!

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Funny that you posted this, as I almost posted it earlier today after reading more F150s will be using the 10spd. I'm thinking take-offs of wrecked trucks should become plentiful. I hate to give up my manual but with supercharger plans the 10spd might make sense.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
This is going to be an epic thread. Adaptor plates, PCM flashes, learning curve followed by massive awesomeness....sub'd.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Eventually yes, someone will be able to come up with a standalone computer to handle the transmission. This if course if the pre18 computer can't, which my guess is it won't.

Remember, anything is possible with enough money.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
So tonight I decided to lookup the 10 speed transmission that ford is offering in its 2017 F-150 models. This will probably be the same transmission offered on our Mustangs...just with different programming. From the look of things, because the F-150 can come in a 6-speed or 10-speed automatic, the transmissions should be backward compatible...the only difference is the bell housing...

I know there are a couple of Ford Engineers on the forums...care to comment on this?

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Since the F-150 has the 5.0 I thought the bell housing might be the same.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
From the look of things, because the F-150 can come in a 6-speed or 10-speed automatic, the transmissions should be backward compatible...the only difference is the bell housing...
Fitment and physical compatibility is one thing, but the biggest question is computer compatibility. Just because it physically fits in the car does not mean it will work.

The PCM/TCM controlling the 10 speed auto will be vastly different than the one controlling the 6 speed. You can't just take out a 6 speed and pop in a 10 speed and expect the computer to control it. The compatibility between those 2 units and the cars themselves will be the biggest hurdle to jump, and as of right now there's little to no info on how those differ.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Fitment and physical compatibility is one thing, but the biggest question is computer compatibility. Just because it physically fits in the car does not mean it will work.

The PCM/TCM controlling the 10 speed auto will be vastly different than the one controlling the 6 speed. You can't just take out a 6 speed and pop in a 10 speed and expect the computer to control it. The compatibility between those 2 units and the cars themselves will be the biggest hurdle to jump, and as of right now there's little to no info on how those differ.
Not denying that. However, I am sure someone on here would probably develop a way to take the coding for the 10-speed auto and adapt it so we could flash our computers. Yes it will take some time, but it should be possible. Again, the thought is that since the F150 v6 ecoboost comes with this, the programing is already at had...someone just has to find the correct coding.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Im willing to bet FRPP makes a swap kit for these like they already have for the coyotes and the 6r80.

Give it time ive got a feeling this will be popular.

On the GM side people are swapping the 8 speeds from the camaro into older cars too.

Personally i say fvck yes cant wait!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Im willing to bet FRPP makes a swap kit for these like they already have for the coyotes and the 6r80.

Give it time ive got a feeling this will be popular.

On the GM side people are swapping the 8 speeds from the camaro into older cars too.

Personally i say fvck yes cant wait!!
Man I really hope they do...this would be incredible...but also incredibly expensive.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not denying that. However, I am sure someone on here would probably develop a way to take the coding for the 10-speed auto and adapt it so we could flash our computers. Yes it will take some time, but it should be possible. Again, the thought is that since the F150 v6 ecoboost comes with this, the programing is already at had...someone just has to find the correct coding.
True, but there's a difference between "coding" and hardware. It won't be as simple as a tune update to the existing ECU. I imagine that the new 10 speed auto will run on a completely new ECU, meaning no amount of coding will update the old ECU if it physically can't support it. I imagine a hard ECU swap will be required to control the 10 speed in older cars, which then brings in compatibility issues with everything else in the car.

I agree that someone will figure something out eventually, but it will be slow and expensive process. Anything can be done of course with enough money.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well...the new 2018s are out. I think if I have time this weekend, I will try to locate one and take it for a test drive with the 10 speed just to see how it feels and if it would be worth the swap. As to whether or not the transmissions can be swapped into our earlier generation cars...its too early to tell.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'd imagine there would be a pretty large market for the 15-17 PP cars which didn't come with an auto option. If it could be done with the updated dash, steering wheel, built converter, and CF driveshaft for less than 8k installed, I'd do it.
Sponsored