My Whipple Build

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Damn that is a nice build list. Great to read your thoughts on the Whipple kit so far.
It's clear that Whipple has some significant engineering time into this kit. One of the reasons I chose this kit is for the OEM appearance and fit & finish, and assembling everything, it's clear that was their goal as well.

If you have any mechanical aptitude and a collection of tools, you can install this kit yourself. And if you follow their instructions, you'll have a kit that in my opinion would mirror any OEM install.

I only wish there were some solution to the cluster$#%! of hoses under the inlet of the supercharger. It's the definition of 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bucket.
Sponsored

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well I suck at updating this journal of sorts. Here's what's done since the last update.

CJ Motorsports fuel system installed. Primary pump wired. I really like the the fit & finish of the system. Having everything pre-bent, cut to length and pre-assembled sure is nice! Pics of the system as-shipped https://imgur.com/a/IT55y I'll try and grab a few photos of it installed while it is on the lift.

BMR lockouts, lower control arm bushings and vertical links are installed, along with FRPP half shafts https://imgur.com/a/5yWnU

I didn't install the BMR diff bushings as I simply wasn't in the mood and I know of two cars who make similar power and don't have them. So I'll save it for a day I'm willing to drop that cradle and beat them out with a BFH.

Ken is sending over an updated tune for E-85 and the return style fuel system. Still need to route wires for second pump and Hobbs switch.

Not sure if we'll get to the headers/exhaust today or not.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Have you got a dyno session scheduled for it yet, or going to wait until its 100% ready?

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have you got a dyno session scheduled for it yet, or going to wait until its 100% ready?

I honestly don't care. If it runs anywhere near 140MPH, I'll be happy. I may drag it to a dyno day or something similar, but I honestly have not scheduled anything. If Ken wants/needs it, then I'll do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sweet bro!! Enjoy the header install!
You weren't lying. Those headers are unkind as shit! Passenger side is on. Lift made it easier, but still difficult as shit! Not sure if we'll get to the driver's side today/tonight or start that in the AM.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
Drivers side is easier. ALL FORD day is Sunday!

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Drivers side is easier. ALL FORD day is Sunday!
I'm 95% certain I'm not gonna make it. Here is the list (likely missing things)

2) Driver's side header
3) Mate new and old exhaust
4) button up path for fuel system install
5) wire 2nd pump & Hobbs switch
6) wire up fans
7) wire up heat exchanger pump
8) button up heat exchanger system
9) Finish tuning with Ken B
10) Put all vanity plastic & shields back on car

11) Plumb overflow so I'm "sort of" NHRA legal

12) Driveshaft (this is actually like 3/4/5 but I'm too lazy to renumber)

13) Driveshaft loop (see above about 3/4/5)
14) ???

Car would need to be on a trailer Friday night/Saturday morning to make it to Ford Day Sunday. I'm 11.5 hours away from Bandimere.

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Driver's side is all buttoned up. Started modifying the MBRP street catback and the ARH off-road pipes. I may not get a chance to work on the car tomorrow, so not sure if I'll get around to buttoning up the exhaust. https://imgur.com/a/t5Udq

While under there, also put in DSS aluminum drive shaft. http://imgur.com/PIAF6Ey

Ken finally got around to getting me a tune, so I'll load that once things are buttoned up and the battery is hooked back up.

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Finished the exhaust. I have to admit, it's quieter than I thought it'd be for headers, no cats and full 3" exhaust. Not able to work on the car today, but hope it pick it back up tomorrow.

I'm back to work Monday so updates will be less frequent and progress will be minimal.

Have done a lot. Bolted a ton of crap on this car, happy with the progress, but won't lie, wish I were driving the car today.

Sponsored
OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Less than an hour every day this week. Work has been solid 12 hour days. I had an opportunity to work on it yesterday and today.

It's done. Or as done as any project car can be. Just need to put E-85 in it, and flash Ken's latest tune.

It's filthy so no pictures.

Now the sad news. Car is going into storage this week and likely won't be back out for a month. If work picks up sooner, it may sit until September/October until things slow down enough.

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Little hiccup with SCT. Got it figured out. Took it for a drive. ~8 miles city/hwy. Coolant leak on passenger side. I'm guessing I didn't shrink the heater hose well enough. Sheath isn't wet, no splatter anywhere. But coolant between intake/head, so not sure where else it'd have come from. Driver's side is bone dry!

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Finally got an opportunity to get to the track. Uneventful for the most part. Car ran flawlessly I think. Here's the breakdown of the 5 passes.

First Pass. 10.7091 @ 135.34 MPH with 1.6257 60' -- Best ET & 60' of the night.

Second Pass. 11.6016 @ 133.93 with 1.8544 60' -- Car had violent tire shake/wheel hop.

Third Pass. 10.8513 @ 135.14 with 1.7612 60' -- Less wheel hop, but still there.

Fourth Pass. 10.8969 @ 135.75 with 1.8290 60' -- Still wheel hop -- I'm pretty much feathering throttle through the 60

Fifth Pass 10.8590 @136.07 with 1.8572 60' -- More feathering through the 60' -- Best MPH of the night.

I have 4" pulley with 20% OD damper. If you have any thoughts/opinions on pulley sizes. MPH is almost there, but ET leaves something to be desired.

I hot lapped passes 1, 2, 3. Let the car sit for 45 minutes for pass 4 and hot lapped pass 5.

Last year in TX, with me in the car at race weight it was 4070 (I'm a big boy). Whipple ship weight was 201lb. There was zero weight reduction (even had the spare in it!). Car is on the Welds so maybe that's weight reduction. I still expect weight to be 4100 or better.

I won't lie a part of me wants to go ape shit with shocks, springs, converter....but feel like swapping pulleys first and then seeing what shocks/springs/converter does. Just don't know how small I should go before I go boom.

I do think I'm gonna put a Zeitronix ZT-2 on it, so I can log boost accurately. I am curious what the 4.00" pulley is making.

I'm torn on the tires. I played with air pressure and it seemed to have no impact on tire shake/wheel hop. They probably have 20-25 passes on them. They are over a year old now, but hate to spend another $700+ on tires, but maybe I need to. I was surprised with all the rear suspension components the car was that bad. I'm wondering what the folks who 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2 have done to not shake the hell out of the car that isn't Watson rear k-member or a 9".
Sponsored