My Custom Audio Build

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Just wanted to say I've enjoyed this thread and appreciate the time you took to post the pic's and write it up.

Chris

grumblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
Just wanted to say I've enjoyed this thread and appreciate the time you took to post the pic's and write it up.

Chris
Lots of great info. Yes, thank you.

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I like how you did the subwoofers. Do you have any insight on the sound of just that part of the system and any regrets of not using an enclosure?

OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
without deeper subs there are some trade offs. The bass isnt going to be super boomy, but I did not want an enclosure nor deep subwoofers. To make bass you need more displacement of air but that means bigger and deeper cones, compared to this flat subwoofer.

Sponsored

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Is it comparable to a smaller sub? Does the bass feel directional or does it blend in well with the music and sound natural? I really, really like how it looks

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Spacers came in today, the amp maybe tomorrow, hopefully amp wires this week. I have spacers for the subs, woofers, and mids. The door speakers and tweeters are going to be mounted similar to how they are stock which uses plastic spacers.
Where did you get the spacers?

I'm planning on doing similar speaker replacements in the front doors just like you did.

OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Is it comparable to a smaller sub? Does the bass feel directional or does it blend in well with the music and sound natural? I really, really like how it looks
bass sounds good, it isnt enveloping the cabin like some of the deeper ones will. Thats the trade off with the low profiles

Where did you get the spacers?

I'm planning on doing similar speaker replacements in the front doors just like you did.

here are all 3 rings I purchased. Cheap prices too, some places charge ridiculous prices for them. I spraypainted them black too to help give it some moisture resistance.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/audiopipe-ring065cbk-nippon-6-5-wood-speaker-ring-with-black-carpet-pair/

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/audiopipe-ring10r-nippon-10-mdf-speaker-ring-sold-as-pair/

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/audiopipe-ring35r-nippon-3-5-mdf-speaker-rings-pair/

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
How does it sound? I feel like I am completely over having a boxed sub in my trunk and was thinking about doing a similar setup (with 8's instead of 10's). I do not listen to rap/hip-hop, electronica, or pop music so booming bass is not what I'm looking for. However, I listen to death metal that has lots of of blast beats with the bass drum, so I definitely want to hear/feel it (just not be boomy like it currently is with my boxed sub).

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Under seat subwoofer or shaker?

without deeper subs there are some trade offs. The bass isnt going to be super boomy, but I did not want an enclosure nor deep subwoofers. To make bass you need more displacement of air but that means bigger and deeper cones, compared to this flat subwoofer.
Did you consider, or is it even possible to mount 3.4" low profile subwoofers like you used under the front seats? Or for that matter under the rear seats?? I recall long ago hearing of shakers that mount under front seats in the mid 90's when I had a BMW Z3. Any thoughts on what these do for a stereo system? I've never seen, felt, (heard?) these under seat shakers.

Having a convertible w/ no rear deck and even less trunk space, I'm looking for options, if even a stretch. ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I didnt consider mounting under the seats. Not sure how much space is under there to even mount them

the bass with these low profiles arent boomy as they would be with deeper subs or an enclosure but you can definately feel it. These low profile subs definitely fit the application I wanted.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I looked under the seats. Almost zero room there in mine (I have power/cooled/heated seats though).

Acristo94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard 5.0
i would like to upgrade my speakers in my car i would have to turn it up to 28 to hear something and it doesnt sound loud at all i have the gt base model with track pack so im not to sure how many speakers i have

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am an (ex) professional loudspeaker design engineer, and I want to see what can be done to improve the sound of the stock system.

Is anyone willing to lend me their stock speakers? That would help me in a redesign of the audio system. IOW, I think there is improvement possible, even KEEPING the original speakers. Testing them outside the car would be one of my first (of many) steps to a project.

[Edit] Obviously I am reaching out only to those that have already removed their stock speaker units.

Last edited: