Sponsored

First time buyer need input on mods

DEXTERDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and I am also a first time mustang buyer(muscle car to be exact). I owned a Honda civic for ten years and never made any modifications.

Now that I am waiting for my mustang to arrive. I decided I wanted to change the exhaust. I was considering Ford racing by borla catback however, I live in California and it is not legal. So now I am considering magnaflow. I like the deep tone but don't know if it will be loud enough. Has anyone replaced their stock exhaust with magnaflow and if so, how does it sound? For a first time buyer I would appreciate input on other exhaust systems. I would prefer a loud deep tone.

Finally I also want to put in a cold air intake. Leaning towards steeda but wondering if JLT is also good. After I replace it I know it will need a tune. If I buy the Bama tuner would that be good enough? And if not, does anyone know of any good custom tuning shops in Southern California. I live near LAX aiport.

I will appreciate the help. Thanks.
Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ford Racing Touring Cat-Back is legal in California.

OP
OP

DEXTERDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Sorry. I wasn't specific I was leaning towards the competition series which is illegal.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ford Racing has Touring and Sport. Cat-back and Axle-back. Black tips and chrome tips.

I assume you mean Sport then.

Sponsored

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
If you are in California, check out the gibson performance exhaust, I believe their exhaust are California Legal since they are based out of california.

Mikes5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track/2014 Explorer Sport
I ran the Magnaflow comp on my 2011 Gt and it was loud but not obnoxious. It was crazy loud after I installed long tubes and no cats but amazing. :) Ill be getting the Magnaflow comp for my 2015 as well.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/frpp-sport-catback-5209.html?t=5209

There are 2 sets of laws in California regarding exhaust. Any police officer can give you a ticket for exhaust greater than 95dB. While stationed in Cali I carried a copy of that law in my car. (It actually changed from 92 to 95 while I was there). Told the police respectfully that I understood the law and bought a street legal exhaust with less than 95 dB rating. Which was true. Luckily, I was never asked for proof of manufacture's claims or anything other than "just checking to see if you were aware... blahh". Second law in California applies only to Highway Patrol, CHiPs :) They are allowed to give a ticket for modified vehicle. Any modification from OEM. They will only use this "power" if you're an a-hole. But be aware of it. Because even if the exhaust is under 95dB, they can technically give you a ticket. No worries, even if you're having a bad day and piss them off. I'm sure the judge would drop it, if you bring pictures and say it's your hobby and mostly for looks.

www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fact...ification.html

If you want to preform the test. Wish companies would do it before sell them. Anyway, here is the standard.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.
noise_test.gif

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
whaaaa? That is fucking ridiculous.
Keep in mind that this is the state that has certain cities taxing sugar because it "is not healthy" but thinks that inhaling pot smoke is perfectly fine because "it's natural".

Please do not make the mistake of trying to apply logic to anything in California, you'll hurt yourself badly.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
In Maryland:
(a) Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

I'll take my chances.

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
Adding to what Jimdohc said. In CA anything after the cats are not regulated by CARB (Clean Air Resource Board) so your only restriction is noise.

For the CAI, JLT is NOT CARB approved. You will have to replace it with the stock intake when you go to SMOG it in 6 years (not a big deal). I guess you could get a ticket for it, but don't let any cops look under the hood and you don't have to worry.

A BAMA tuner is all you need. BAMA works really hard to get the most out of the car with their tunes, and they already have tunes for the JLT intake.