Sponsored

2018 LB GT350 (J0238): Oil Consumption Stats

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
I have about 2700 miles. Mostly normal driving with some spirited thrown in. Mine is currently at the top of the hash marks. It started out full (i.e. at or slightly above the top hole) and I haven’t added any. Seems like reasonable consumption for this kind of engine.
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I did not add any oil until the level dropped to the bottom of the hash marks/bottom hole. This is how I know it was 1 quart per every 750 miles from approximately 2,000 miles until 5,3xx miles. One quart would put the level at the top of the hash marks. I checked the oil level every 150-200 miles and it would read lower every time. After about 750 miles, time to add a quart.

Since the oil change at 5,3xx miles, zero drop on the stick now at 5,8xx miles.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I would NOT add oil. The manual says only add oil if you are outside of the range on the dipstick.

I can tell you that my car "likes" to have the oil level sitting roughly where yours is. After an oil change the level will fairly quickly go down to the 1/2 way mark. Then once at the half way mark the oil level doesn't move at all for thousands of miles. The oil level never gets below the bottom mark prior to an oil change.

I guess if you want you can add oil. It's your car. I'm just telling you my experience with my car. I don't want the car to consume more oil than necessary, so I don't continually add oil. I let the oil level sit where it wants to be.
Good advice, thanks. I'm just going to continue monitoring as usual. Should be doing a change soon anyways.

iamevan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I did not add any oil until the level dropped to the bottom of the hash marks/bottom hole. This is how I know it was 1 quart per every 750 miles from approximately 2,000 miles until 5,3xx miles. One quart would put the level at the top of the hash marks. I checked the oil level every 150-200 miles and it would read lower every time. After about 750 miles, time to add a quart.

Since the oil change at 5,3xx miles, zero drop on the stick now at 5,8xx miles.
I'm hoping my oil consumption lessens once I increase the mileage on my engine. I'm burning about 1 quart every 1,000 miles; I'm at about 3,500 miles.

When I first got the car I estimated the oil consumption was around 1,600-1,800 miles. The consumption has either increased or my initial estimates were wrong.

I'm curious about how your oil consumption stopped at the higher mileage. Did you change oil brands or are you using Motorcraft? What is your driving style? Did anything else change?

I daily drive mine and rarely go over 6K RPM. When driving normally I keep the revs up so I have more power to pass or accelerate from a stop. From a stop I usually rev to 3-4K and shift. I'm usually revving around a steady 2.5-3.2K when at speed and slowly accelerating. I drop it down to a steady 2-2.5K when cruising. I remember reading on this forum someone thought the oil consumption might correlate with maintaining high revs under cold/light engine loads.

Lightning Blue GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duey
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 #H2996, 12 FX35, 09 G37S
i will have to check mine when I get home. 1960.9 miles I have put a sip of oil in around 1000 miles and the line has not moved. I like to drive my car when I am in it ( not afraid to put my foot thru the floor board ) I cant help but listen to the exhaust note so I keep the RPM'S around 2.5 k to 3.8 for the sound and if I want a blip I am in the power band and man that is some fun sh!t.