Question for those with Ford Racing Halfshafts

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Ever since I installed mine they clunk on deceleration and sometimes when I give it gas when I’m coasting. Sounds like a pop noise sometimes, but I can verify that the nut isn’t loose. I torqued it to 150ft.lbs and applied red loctite. Just seeing if anyone else has this issue with them. I’ve heard that it could be due to them being a lot heavier than the stock ones, but not sure.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Mine make no noise at all so there may have been a problem with your install. also while your under car with the wheels off check your half shaft boot clearance relative to the nearby shock housings some of them rub. G-force has a smaller boot to give for free if yours are rubbing.

OP
OP

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Odd mine were installed perfect and no issues of rubbing. This also could very well be due to having the Steeda diff. lockout bushings installed which have stiffened up the rear.

Last edited:

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the same axels as you and don't have any unusual sounds. I have the BMR poly inserts, and they cause plenty of their own NVH though.

OP
OP

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Could just be the usual slack in the driveline

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I remember a while back, BMR posted a video of a '15+ Mustang up on a lift and someone slowly twisting the halfshafts back and forth by hand and getting lots of clunking from the differential.

Perhaps it's backlash. Mine especially clunks when coasting, letting off the gas and tipping back in, but I also torqued to spec. I have solid aluminum bushings and Ford Racing halfshafts so it's noisy overall but it's a trade-off I'm fine with.
Sponsored