Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
So it seems the contenders are:

Filter boss

Eastside Mustang Enhancements. $TBC

Modular Motorsport. I couldn't get a response, @didbabawu did you end up looking into this one?

Northmead Performance. $1200 kit only?

No filter boss

Streetfighter/Mishimoto. $TBC

Mustang Motorsport/Mishimoto. Details on exactly what it provides for RHD cars hard to ascertain $949

JWRacing Mishimoto. 800GBP / $1400 ish landed
Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=17504]tienlo[/MENTION] did the MMR kit on his procharged car and it was a lot of work to delete the OE cooler.

Would love to know pricing fitted on the east side and street fighter kits.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
[MENTION=17504]tienlo[/MENTION] did the MMR kit on his procharged car and it was a lot of work to delete the OE cooler.

Suspect MMR won't be an option due to LHD origins, and that EME found adapting the kit was more work than doing their own thing.

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
the kits aren't that hard or time consuming to do or adapt. you will spend a good few hours doing it. we've been doing race and OEM style oil cooler setups for 20+ years, that's usually one of the first steps any performance shop does when stepping up combo's especially on NA to forced induction.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Manual GT, S2000, 350z, MT-03
@tienlo did the MMR kit on his procharged car and it was a lot of work to delete the OE cooler.

There was a bit of extra work removing the entire oil cooler (some kits re-use a section of the OEM RHD oil cooler) and additionally I have a procharger & stage 2 intercooler which meant I couldn't mount the oil cooler in the usual spot in front of the radiator.

Totally worth it.
Spent the day at the track on Friday 17th and the car ran beautifully. I just have the standard gauges which show oil temp = normal and oil pressure = normal. Looking at the nGauge logs of coolant temps, I was only 2 or 3 degrees hotter than sitting in traffic (maximum coolant temp = 98 degrees after several hot laps). Can't put a price on peace of mind :)

Last edited:

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Harrop should have their oil cooler ready very early January if you are interested in a local supplier who makes their own...

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Thanks for the update Phil.

I'm seeing my dealer on Friday for coilovers to be fitted and I'll speak to him about this as he has a good relationship with Harrop.

Cheers

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
When I called today they said 850 beer tokens and ready in two weeks. But couldn't tell me if it had a filter boss or thermostat :crazy:

Sounds like a good thing though, and locally made at a good price :thumbsup:

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Also found this Mishi one lurking on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162621953436?ul_noapp=true

New message from: sparesbox_auto (54,825 )

Yes it will fit an Australian delivered mustang.

Kind regards,
Jordan
Sparesbox
1300 117 587
www.sparesbox.com.au

Seems on par with what Mustang Motorsport is charging IIRC. Not sure if it does away with the troublesome bit or keeps it and just adds an air to liquid cooler

Sponsored

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Letter of Complaint

Please find my letter to Ford Australia.
I apologize for the delay. I had a mishap with standing in my 4WD air con condensate and then walking into the house with glazed floor tiles. Nasty knee dislocation and split head.

Anyhow, I did a lot of research into ACCC and I decided to stick to the basic issue and not complicate it with all the mod options etc as I did not want a complicated reply from Ford.
I also read through about 100 vehicle safety recalls from all brands of cars and there are many recalls based on the same hazards as the Mustang oil cooler failure; fire, engine failure in traffic, oil on the road etc
As I am away for a few weeks after Xmas, I don't expect to report back until late January. However if Ford's reply is inadequate, I will pursue the next stage then.
I posted the letter today by registered mail.

Attachments

Last edited:

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Hi Peter,

Hope you get better soon. Dislocations are painful.

Thanks for all your efforts on this. Who knows, it may well be to our benefit down the track.

Cheers

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Sorry to hear about your mishap Peter, speedy recovery. Thanks for putting this together, eager to see the response.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Excellent letter Peter and I thank you for mentioning other Mustang owners are aware of the problem and equally concerned about it.

It would be nice to have some clarification where we stand. Mine was built in Dec 2015 so definitely affected but I can imagine those with later builds are also concerned and you point this out nicely in your letter.

Thanks again,

Michael.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Well today my car oil cooler shit itself ironically I’ve purchased the street fighter kit and dropped it off at the mechanics for a early Jan install on the way home the cooler died.

So has anyone on this forum had a failed oil cooler if so were you out of pocket? Did you have any mods etc

If no one has I will report when I know more tomorrow when I drop it off at a ford dealer.

I have Mods Xforce headers, CAI, Tune so will let you all know but if someone has been through this would love to know the outcome thanks
Sponsored