Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I think there's 'built to a price' and there's 'issues'. The panel fit on my car being worse than everything else I've owned is annoying, as is the fact that it had a rattle behind the tacho after 45km on the day I picked it up. I guess I accept those things as a compromise because they weren't unexpected, and overall the thing is a joy to drive. And once I work out how to remove the panel under the steering wheel (hints anyone?) I will find that b@st@rd rattle.

I accept that equipment failures happen, I just don't like not knowing the prevalence, details and approach to remediation. If Ford said 'the issue was due to someone dropping their lunch in the oil cooler casting machine, we've stopped people eating their lunch when operating the machine, and if you purchase a replacement oil cooler casting from us right now it will not fail under normal usage' most of us would book our cars in pronto for a swap even at our expense.

Ford should tell us if Kia was licensed to build them, it might be seen as a plus :thumbsup:

radar can you please tell me how you got the 6 year warranty - I wasn't offered that at purchase - and what it cost? Is it simply an extension of the 3 year warranty?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
I think there's 'built to a price' and there's 'issues'. The panel fit on my car being worse than everything else I've owned is annoying, as is the fact that it had a rattle behind the tacho after 45km on the day I picked it up. But I accept those things as a compromise because they weren't unexpected, and overall the thing is a joy to drive. And once I work out how to remove the panel under the steering wheel (hints anyone?) I will find that b@st@rd rattle.

However, I don't accept equipment failures.

Ford should tell us if Kia was building them, it might be seen as a plus :thumbsup:
Like i said about the hot girl friend. And going topless, cuts her even more slack:love: vert that is

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
I think there's 'built to a price' and there's 'issues'. The panel fit on my car being worse than everything else I've owned is annoying, as is the fact that it had a rattle behind the tacho after 45km on the day I picked it up. I guess I accept those things as a compromise because they weren't unexpected, and overall the thing is a joy to drive. And once I work out how to remove the panel under the steering wheel (hints anyone?) I will find that b@st@rd rattle.

I accept that equipment failures happen, I just don't like not knowing the prevalence, details and approach to remediation. If Ford said 'the issue was due to someone dropping their lunch in the oil cooler casting machine, we've stopped people eating their lunch when operating the machine, and if you purchase a replacement oil cooler casting from us right now it will not fail under normal usage' most of us would book our cars in pronto for a swap even at our expense.

Ford should tell us if Kia was licensed to build them, it might be seen as a plus :thumbsup:

radar can you please tell me how you got the 6 year warranty - I wasn't offered that at purchase - and what it cost? Is it simply an extension of the 3 year warranty?
Should be able to google it. Dealers won't tell you cos they wanna sell you crappy dealer servicing contract warranty.
RRP is $2750 but I wrapped mine into the deal. Expensive, but I got six years peace of mind, hopefully.
It is 6 years 200 000 km. Issued by Ford. I'll be lucky to have 50 k on mine by then.
If you can't google it, pm me.
You can still buy it while your car is under warranty. And I believe it is transferable. Only have to get it serviced at Ford.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks radar I'll look into it. Key thing will be the cost of dealer servicing over that time plus the extra 2750 beer tokens vs cost of servicing independently.

Sponsored

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Thanks radar I'll look into it. Key thing will be the cost of dealer servicing over that time plus the extra 2750 beer tokens vs cost of servicing independently.
Service cost for Mustang is $420, which includes roadside assist. I put R/A at $100, or so. So service is about $320. Some approved service places(which you need to keep warranty)will do standard service for about $230. Lets call that $300 extra at ford dealer, over 3years. No-brainer, for me. Go Ford dealer, to keep up relation, when it comes to Warranty issues. Also, Ford service history, may be a plus, when selling? Some approved places might let you buy our own oil, to bring price down a bit more, i suppose.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Oh, and Ford dealer will give you courtesy car as well, for zip.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
So including cost of extended warranty it's about 3k for another three years. Mick by 'approved service places' are you referring to something other than a Ford dealership?

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
So including cost of extended warranty it's about 3k for another three years. Mick by 'approved service places' are you referring to something other than a Ford dealership?
By "approved', i mean any establishment with a VACC license in Victoria. That's what's required to uphold any new car vehicle warranty in Vic. NSW would have a similar thing. Ps. First year service is $435 with Ford dealer and further services are $495. My mistake. But still worth staying with Ford dealer considering Warranty issues, Roadside assist,lone car etc. But one can also ask for better deal, if staying with same dealer?:thumbsup:

MTANG7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
Never will let a Ford dealer touch my car for a service again, after the first free service which I had the oil and filter changed. Waited 4 hours after being told 1 and a half hours and car had all grease on the bonnet after service was finished very disappointing. So in regards to warrantee work wouldn't hold me breath, and as for the oil cooler seems to be to heavily tracked and modified cars, there are also aftermarket parts to bypass the problem.

Sponsored

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Never will let a Ford dealer touch my car for a service again, after the first free service which I had the oil and filter changed. Waited 4 hours after being told 1 and a half hours and car had all grease on the bonnet after service was finished very disappointing. So in regards to warrantee work wouldn't hold me breath, and as for the oil cooler seems to be to heavily tracked and modified cars, there are also aftermarket parts to bypass the problem.
So in summary: It looks like Ford can't sell Mustangs properly, can't build them properly and then can't service them either.:ford:

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
FYI folks looks like Eastside Mustang Enhancements in Adelaide is putting together an oil cooler kit that includes a remote filter mount (no longer need to be a octupus to change the filter) thread is here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2017209#post2017209

As a newcomer to M6G not sure of the procedure for group buys but this might be a candidate if for no other reason than to get the remote filter mount along the way.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT

Sorry to hear of your experience but it would be the exception rather than the rule. Only complaints I heard about the dealer I bought mine from were about number plate mounting and that was only when the first ones arrived. For servicing they have a dedicated bay for Mustangs and an experienced team. They do exhausts, superchargers, and suspension work there too.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi RSPEC could you please PM me the name of the dealer.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Another Aussie GT on fire from oil cooler failures.

If you plan on tracking your car, look to get the replacement oil cooler parts (which is completely separate to an oil cooler) before doing it, I think we're over 5 now with track failures from oil cooler failures
Sponsored