Sponsored

2018 Mustang Refresh (Prototype) First Look!

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
I personally really like the hood 'ridges', as it's very different and gives the car character. It looks menacing from inside.
I agree 100% it would be a mistake to reduce those. I do not want it to look like some BMW or Audi :( It is a muscle car first and foremost. REINVENTED and better performing - fine, but do not make it some Euro cruiser :doh:
Sponsored

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
You don't realize how big the Mustang is until you see it nose to nose with other cars. I am considering a 428i and just happened to pull up at the gym and see one parked out where I usually park. So I pulled in where I could get a couple photos. The Mustang is a really big car. It dwarfs my friends C class Mercedes and as you can see, the hood height is much higher than the BMW, Mercedes, or even the Camaro that was parked next to me tonight. Styling-wise, it's unusual for a car this big to still look low and sleek. Aston does it with the DB9 but even that car has a lower hood and grill.
I'm 6'2" so I like the slightly bigger frame of the S550. Coming from a 2013 335i I liked the roomier interior vs the BMW. Styling wise they look similar but the S550 is a little longer, wider and higher which you can see from your pics.

To me the BMW's are too small now. I was behind an M3 the other day and it looked liked a suped up Honda. I for sure want nothing to do with that inline 6 engine sound.

The BMW does handle better from the factory vs. the Mustang but after that I'm trying to think about what I really liked better in the BMW. You can lease a 328 or 428 for much less than the Mustang so that would be another advantage but not to me.

Waiting to see when the 2018 is released as my 2016 GT could be on the chopping blocks depending. Hard to think about selling a car with just 7,000 miles but YOLO..........:thumbsup:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd caution people to not rush to judgments about liking/not liking the refresh before you see it un-camo'd...
Indeed!

Other than the fact it's clear there are going to be some changes, the camo is doing it's job. There's no way anyone can make an unbiased judgement based on what we (or rather can't!) see.

This just whets the appetite for the final reveal. Do I build my hopes up in November for a LA reveal, or try and contain myself until the New Year in Detroit? :)

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Made a comparison of two things I can clearly spot on the mule

1. Different angle of the tribars
2. sleeker middle part of the chin
People do realize that the main purpose of the camo is to hide changes right ?

1. Different angle photo
2. Different distance and lighting photo and there is a stiff plastic like material over the top which can take it's own shape.

It's cool people speculate at what they are seeing but some people are too sure of certain things :)

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The back end of that pic is definitely stretched/distorted. Look at the rear wheel compared to the front wheel - it's larger and not round. Plus the curb indicates that the camera was closer to the stang then the bimmer.
Yeah, the camera was slightly closer to the Mustang but I actually was there holding the camera. Believe me, the Mustang looked huge sitting next to it- that's why I took the pictures. And next to a C class Mercedes, as well. The front hood height actually looks less exaggerated in the picture than it looks in person. The BMW looks like it could drive under the bumper on the Mustang in person although they both have to meet federal bumper standards... Roof height is also quite a bit higher on the Mustang but some of that is good- it gives it the classic muscle car look and makes the car easier to get in and out of. I'd be happy if they dropped the nose a bit like an Aston DB9.
aston-mustang.jpg

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
I bet the new tri-bars are going to look amazing.

I also think i see a glassroof, but I'm probably seeing what I want to see.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Do not want a V8 fusion.
I don't think anyone confuses a Fusion with an Aston... which is where the grill was "lifted" from in the first place. If the Mustang is more Aston-ish in the nose, that would be a good thing.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The Middle part of the bumper seems much smaller than on the current model
Yah you're right..it looks smaller...maybe to open the top/bottom grills to give it a more aggressive look.

I'm really excited for the new front...Im glad they are going to the GT350 lower hood look.

Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I personally really like the hood 'ridges', as it's very different and gives the car character. It looks menacing from inside.
I love the massive high hood and the hood ridges. Makes the car feel beastly. I drive my GFs Acura sometimes and it just seems like the hood is wimpy and low.. I don't think I can own a car without a beastly hood now.:headbang:

intoadaze

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0
In all of the pictures where you're able to see the front-end, the headlights seem to be shorter in width and not extend back towards the fenders.
attachment.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 10.34.57 AM.png
attachment-1.jpg

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm not sure I want to like the 2018 or not. Part of me wants to hate the refresh so that I'm "forced" to buy my 15GT out after the lease and save a bit on monthly payments. The other part of me wants the refresh to be a Camaro killer that I can order in half a year. The internal struggle is real.

:shrug:
What?
Sponsored