Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
As expected, no contact from Ford. I will ring them on Monday. I'll probably get someone who is trained in avoiding the real issue. If my prediction is right then the next step is approaching the ACCC.
I rang the Ford Customer Relationship Centre yesterday. Firstly I asked why I had received no response to my registered letter of complaint that had been delivered on the 6 December. The lady I spoke to said that she didn't know the person who signed the receipt of my letter. She said that the place was too big to know everyone and she had no idea what happened to my letter (which was about 20 pages as it included a copy of the TSB). She then stated that I would be looked after in the event of an engine failure after warranty as Ford would not abandon their customers. I asked for this in writing but she declined. She did type in my concern against my VIN file and said that this would be a record of our discussion. I then said that "should every Mustang owner call the centre and lodge their concern against their VIN file"?. She said "maybe". I said that I may need to seek written assurance via another route. She stated that my attempt would just end up at the same place and would not achieve any more attention. I then said that I may have to go through the ACCC. She did not comment.
It appears to me that the Customer Relationship Centre is a rock wall around Ford Australia Management and that the common customer will not be able to penetrate this wall. Even though I was not asking for any costly solution, just a written confirmation of her assurance.
So... Where to from here? Do we all ring 13 FORD and get our concerns logged against our VIN as a step towards future guarantee on this particular failure?
My next step is to speak to someone in the ACCC. Hopefully I won't get the brush off. A particular concern is that the waters have not been tested, and won't for at least another year when Warranties begin to expire. So Ford haven't actually denied consumer guarantee yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I'd say you have sufficient evidence of their lack of willingness to engage. They've failed twice (?) to make good on contacting you and then come up with this nonsense. Lodging our concerns is just...lodging our concerns but it's not a bad tactic on their behalf to make you think you're being heard in a meaningful way that will make some kind of difference (and then hopefully you'll go away). If Ford was going to heed those concerns they'd have done so by now and communicated their reassurance. This might help frame your approach to the ACCC if you haven't seen it already;

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/unconscionable-conduct

Or maybe we have nothing to worry about because Ford would never abandon their customers :lol:

Onward and upward mate...

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback

Nong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual Fastback Lightning Blue
I went to have my first yearly service done today and it was quite interesting.
After all the formalities I discussed the oil cooler issue with the agent handling my car who referred me to the manager. At all stages they were polite and informative. They went into a lot of detail about defective parts and how they are handled and I think they were trying to help and do what they could.

The manager put my vin into their system and nothing came up, the agent then brought up the relevant TSB and read parts of it to me. The TSB states the problem may affect cars built before 26 July 16 and as mine was built in OCT the TSB did not apply to my car and would not be applied.

What was interesting was the fact that if your car was in the affected range it would only be an inspection and not replacement. I questioned the stupidity of that interpretation as replacing a cheap part is surely preferable to a possible engine change down the track.
They kind of agreed with my logic however that was the policy of Ford Australia/Preston Motor Group.

I don't blame the guys on the floor as they are just the messengers for a corporate entity and I see this as a corporate financial decision ahead of the customer.

IMHO the rate of failure and therefor the No. of engine changes is more than likely cheaper than changing thousands of oil coolers in the RHD market. The cost of retrofitting a properly engineered solution is all too much for them and I think they just want the problem to slip out of warranty when they will play hard ball.

I personally think the OC is a ticking time bomb for RHD GT 15-17 mustangs. Should you want to hang onto your cars for a long time a small problem in a poorly engineered part can render your engine useless or worse. Even if Ford continue to fix cars outside of the warranty period, how long do they do that for. Anyway food for thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The TSB states the problem may affect cars built before 26 July 16 and as mine was built in OCT the TSB did not apply to my car and would not be applied.

The cost of retrofitting a properly engineered solution is all too much for them and I think they just want the problem to slip out of warranty when they will play hard ball.
They haven't thought that through. If your oc leaks, milkshake forthcoming or not, irrespective of MY you're covered under warranty. Once out of warranty, as you say all bets are off since they've clearly chosen to not have a public position.

Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
I went to have my first yearly service done today and it was quite interesting.
After all the formalities I discussed the oil cooler issue with the agent handling my car who referred me to the manager. At all stages they were polite and informative. They went into a lot of detail about defective parts and how they are handled and I think they were trying to help and do what they could.

The manager put my vin into their system and nothing came up, the agent then brought up the relevant TSB and read parts of it to me. The TSB states the problem may affect cars built before 26 July 16 and as mine was built in OCT the TSB did not apply to my car and would not be applied.

What was interesting was the fact that if your car was in the affected range it would only be an inspection and not replacement. I questioned the stupidity of that interpretation as replacing a cheap part is surely preferable to a possible engine change down the track.
They kind of agreed with my logic however that was the policy of Ford Australia/Preston Motor Group.

I don't blame the guys on the floor as they are just the messengers for a corporate entity and I see this as a corporate financial decision ahead of the customer.

IMHO the rate of failure and therefor the No. of engine changes is more than likely cheaper than changing thousands of oil coolers in the RHD market. The cost of retrofitting a properly engineered solution is all too much for them and I think they just want the problem to slip out of warranty when they will play hard ball.

I personally think the OC is a ticking time bomb for RHD GT 15-17 mustangs. Should you want to hang onto your cars for a long time a small problem in a poorly engineered part can render your engine useless. Even if Ford continue to fix cars outside of the warranty period, how long do they do that for. Anyway food for thought.
Not sure if you're familiar with Pinto case in USA. Studied this during Management course. Widely alleged manufacturer found it more cost efficient to pay out occasional legal claim for incinerated victims than do a full recall for a really cheap fix.

As Wiki article shows, created legal precedent in USA.
Also used as number one example in business ethics.

Beginning in 1977, controversy arose surrounding the Pinto's fuel tank design, which was linked with an increased risk of deadly fires after rear-end collisions. The issue gained media attention after it became public that Ford knew about but did not fix the issue. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ultimately ordered a recall, and a design modification was made to reduce the risk of fire. The fires resulted in a number of legal cases including two landmark cases, Grimshaw vs. Ford Motor Company and State of Indiana vs. Ford Motor Company. A subsequent analysis of the Pinto's overall safety indicated its safety was comparable to other cars of its class. The Pinto has been cited widely as a business ethics as well as tort reform case study.

At work we had issues with Territories. I reminded junior Manager about above article.
"Yes," he said, " but we don't drive Pintos."

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I am reliably informed that another local M6G member experienced what looks to be an oil cooler failure today.

Hopefully he'll stick his head in soon to share the tale of woe.

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
AND another caramel milkshake happened today !! Car was a 17 & less than 9000 ks Also never driven hard . How long are ford going to keep their head in their asses and not address this problem!! For the life of me I can't understand why they don't issue an recall and replace the $250 plus what ever they come up with tax ! It has to be cheaper than an engine. Now do I enjoy drive now worried if she's gunna become a carton of moove at anytime!!??
That no fun !

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Not good to hear. My car is going in for its 2-yearly service soon. Dealer has told me previously if anything happens it will be a new engine no questions asked but surely prevention is better than cure.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
AND another caramel milkshake happened today !! Car was a 17 & less than 9000 ks Also never driven hard . How long are ford going to keep their head in their asses and not address this problem!! For the life of me I can't understand why they don't issue an recall and replace the $250 plus what ever they come up with tax ! It has to be cheaper than an engine. Now do I enjoy drive now worried if she's gunna become a carton of moove at anytime!!??
That no fun !
Sorry to hear that Egghead. I think the answer to your question about Ford doing something is 'when something forces them to'. Unfortunately, that something doesn't currently exist. And they've probably sold most of their 2017 cars and no longer care. We'll have to see if this affects the sale of 2018s, it appears the enthusiasm for them hasn't waned due to either the cooler or ac evaporator issue.

I suspect BA Falcon owners were in the same boat with leaking auto trans coolers that were lunching trans while Ford refused to acknowledge the problem. And LS1 owners with the piston slap issue didn't get traction with Holden for a very, very long time. I think it may have something to do with Ford USA, a multi billion dollar industry, having thresholds above which they do something. A few engines here and there aren't even a blip on their radar that will cause them to consider a recall or remediation, coupled with our market being too small to really be bothered with much.

Have you been to a dealer with it?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Have you been to a dealer with it?
It wasn't @Egghead .

The only occurrence that will force Ford into acknowledging and dealing with the problem is if more fires occur - they won't be able to continue to ignore it then.

Until then, the bean counters have obviously decided that replacing a few engines here and there will cost less than a widespread fix.

The ACCC will only step in if the circumstances are extreme - such as the forced Takata airbag recall issued at the direction of the Minister.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...all/about-the-compulsory-takata-airbag-recall

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I am reliably informed that another local M6G member experienced what looks to be an oil cooler failure today.

Hopefully he'll stick his head in soon to share the tale of woe.
Yup, very reliably informed!

As Greg has pointed out, mine is a January 2017 build, with just under 9000 kms on the clock.

She had a bloody good run out from Sydney to Oberon on the weekend, a good tonk round some great country roads.

Got home Sunday and put her to bed. Went down yesterday to take her for a bath and bit of Bowdens love, and noticed a puddle under the car. Realised that puddle in no way was likely to be from the air con condensation.

Moved the car, and then popped the hood.....

IMG_20180228_130833.jpg

MVIMG_20180228_130731.jpg

MVIMG_20180228_130740.jpg

MVIMG_20180228_130906.jpg

Dealer was called (Sinclair's) who simply told me to call the NRMA and get her straight to them.

I am reliably informed that the car is in their Mustang mechanic's service bay as we speak. Initial chat yesterday was that is going to be a full engine replacement. I will now await that follow up call from the service team to advise!

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
^^^ Not good, but Sinclair Ford are very responsive. Hammo has told me that if oil cooler goes it's a new engine.

I'm interested in hearing how this pans out.

PS - I think he's gone to Adelaide for the first Supercar race of the season!

Nong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual Fastback Lightning Blue
So basically the TSB that refers to pre 26 July 16 built cars in the affected range that can be subject to a possible failure can now be put to bed as highly inaccurate information from Ford as TeamDenno's car was built Jan17.

This is a big deal!!!!!! Our RHD 15-17, GT mustangs are a ticking time bomb as I have mentioned before. This is obviously a poorly engineered oil cooler from the parent company and Ford Australia and other RHD markets want nothing to do with it. While the car is in warranty all good, "new engine please" or new car if it burns. Outside of warranty all bets are off.
Sponsored

Last edited: