Sponsored

My Comp Cams and GT350 manifold results (spoiler alert: it's not good)

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
50lb/min seems a little low. I just have a GT350 manifold/stock exhaust other than a catback/stock cams/stock throttle body/on 93 and i hit 49 lb/min....that being said though I don't actually think your power numbers are far off.
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
just food for thought

on your original run, peak hp is about 6500 rpms, around 400 rwhp, and and your probably going to shift around 3-400 past that, we'll call it 6900 to be optimal so your coming in on the shift about 360 rwhp

on the new setup, your making peak hp at 7300 rpms, and about 420 rwhp, since the power holds out better, shifting 500 after at 7800 isn't an issue, if you have a 1500 rpm drop on the shift, about 6300 rpms, which will be about 400 rwhp

your use able power is more like 40hp, which in reality is a 10% increase. not to mention the benefit of the higher rpms. which is more efficient too

meaning, you have 3 cars equal weight, equal hp, suspension, etc...

one makes 420 rwhp at 7k, 8k, and 9k.

the 9k car will be the quickest car, then the 8k car, then the 7k car.

i know some get hung up on the down low loss, but in reality, what reason is there to be wot at 3k, etc.. if your trying to maximize et.

now, if you want to go stop light to stop light at half throttle really fast ,vs light throttle, then you will notice it.

but you really going to want to downshift to the power band.

last thing would be, is the tune optimal. cam timing is def huge on these cars!

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
just food for thought

on your original run, peak hp is about 6500 rpms, around 400 rwhp, and and your probably going to shift around 3-400 past that, we'll call it 6900 to be optimal so your coming in on the shift about 360 rwhp

on the new setup, your making peak hp at 7300 rpms, and about 420 rwhp, since the power holds out better, shifting 500 after at 7800 isn't an issue, if you have a 1500 rpm drop on the shift, about 6300 rpms, which will be about 400 rwhp

your use able power is more like 40hp, which in reality is a 10% increase. not to mention the benefit of the higher rpms. which is more efficient too

meaning, you have 3 cars equal weight, equal hp, suspension, etc...

one makes 420 rwhp at 7k, 8k, and 9k.

the 9k car will be the quickest car, then the 8k car, then the 7k car.

i know some get hung up on the down low loss, but in reality, what reason is there to be wot at 3k, etc.. if your trying to maximize et.

now, if you want to go stop light to stop light at half throttle really fast ,vs light throttle, then you will notice it.

but you really going to want to downshift to the power band.

last thing would be, is the tune optimal. cam timing is def huge on these cars!
Thanks for the feedback! Jon Jr. at Lund did the tune and he felt like the numbers may be off, so I'm putting it on a Dynojet next Wednesday to get another look. That makes sense about the power band, though.

I'm normally not one to get hung up on a loss down low, but I just wasn't expecting it to be as big as it was. Just curious if it's normal to have such a loss in power down low. I reached out to Comp, but they basically said they couldn't help me.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dynos are a tool. Even if your car reads 500whp on a Dynojet, it will do nothing for your perceived 'seat of the pants' feel.

Are you happy with the change in the powerband of the GT350 IM when you actually drive the car? Does the scream to a higher redline offset the loss near idle? Does it bother you to have to downshift to get into the powerband rather than just putting your foot in it at a higher gear? -that should make your decision, not what a number says on a piece of paper.

If you want to feel better, have them list it in STD because it'll read artificially higher than SAE -which is the standard most people use.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I kept the stock springs. I believe Comp states that you don't need to replace the springs.

I didn't want to mess with cutting the hood or lowering the engine and losing the strut tower brace. Based on the mods the car has, it looks like the cams are the culprit for losing all the power down low, not the manifold. Yes, the CJ would be better with those cams, but hindsight is 20/20... Had it had only a small loss in power, I wound't be so concerned.
I would blame the tune and intake LONG before the cams is what im getting at. Especially if the down low loss is the complaint here which the GT350 intake manifold is notorious for comp cams in or stock......

To me this looks like a classic case of someome with a GT350 im complaining about the losses down low.

Those cams produce results others have proven that.

Last as beefcake and others mentioned VCT tuning on these cars is huge!! cam tuning can make or break a setup.

Sponsored

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
You mentioned that the shop may not be familiar with these cars, is it possible they ran it in 4th gear? 5th is 1:1 in the MT-82. That would show lower numbers and may explain why your data log info seems to be on point. Just a thought. Hope it's all solved on Wednesday.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's hard to make NA power. It's fricken impossible on the S65 V8 in my old M3. It still blows my mind to see such big NA HP gains for (relatively) little money compared to my M3, which would require extreme builds to even see half of those gains.

I liked the 8,300rpm redline of my M3 and you're basically turning your cammed 350IM Coyote into one -with WAY more power. If you want low-end torque, you should have put all that money into a supercharger (which heat soak like crazy on track), or a Camaro ;)

You mentioned that the shop may not be familiar with these cars, is it possible they ran it in 4th gear? 5th is 1:1 in the MT-82. That would show lower numbers and may explain why your data log info seems to be on point. Just a thought. Hope it's all solved on Wednesday.
+1. My friend's Boss said it was worth 10whp between 4th and 5th.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I would blame the tune and intake LONG before the cams is what im getting at. Especially if the down low loss is the complaint here which the GT350 intake manifold is notorious for comp cams in or stock......

To me this looks like a classic case of someome with a GT350 im complaining about the losses down low.

Last as beefcake and others mentioned VCT tuning on these cars is huge!! cam tuning can make or break a setup.
if lund is tuning it, should be fine,

they know these cams well, we have done setups making well over 500 on n/a setups on them

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Dynos are a tool. Even if your car reads 500whp on a Dynojet, it will do nothing for your perceived 'seat of the pants' feel.

Are you happy with the change in the powerband of the GT350 IM when you actually drive the car? Does the scream to a higher redline offset the loss near idle? Does it bother you to have to downshift to get into the powerband rather than just putting your foot in it at a higher gear? -that should make your decision, not what a number says on a piece of paper.

If you want to feel better, have them list it in STD because it'll read artificially higher than SAE -which is the standard most people use.
I know, I get it. It's hard for me to say right now because it's been raining here most of the day, so I haven't really had the chance to get on it. The reason I wanted to put it on a Dynojet was because Jon Jr. at Lund thought the numbers were off. He said the data looks solid, but the numbers don't correlate to what he expected.

Seems like the GT350 manifold tests I saw showed little to no power loss, and quite a big gain up top, which is why I went with it. These cams definitely produce power, but perhaps they just work better with the Cobra Jet manifold. I certainly never saw a GT350 manifold test where the car lost 40 ft-lbs for nearly 6,000 RPMs.

Regarding the tune, Lund has a great reputation and has tuned cammed S550s before, which was one reason I went with them. Could the tune be the problem? I suppose so, but I don't know if there's any other cam+350 manifold cars out there to compare it to. And again, Lund has tuned a lot of the high hp NA cars on this forum, so I doubt that's the problem.

It's hard to make NA power. It's fricken impossible on the S65 V8 in my old M3. It still blows my mind to see such big NA HP gains for (relatively) little money compared to my M3, which would require extreme builds to even see half of those gains.

I liked the 8,300rpm redline of my M3 and you're basically turning your cammed 350IM Coyote into one -with WAY more power. If you want low-end torque, you should have put all that money into a supercharger (which heat soak like crazy on track), or a Camaro
Yeah, I hear you. I LOVE the idea of having an 8,000 RPM Mustang, so if it comes with power loss down low, then I guess I'll just have to accept it.

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Seems like the GT350 manifold tests I saw showed little to no power loss, and quite a big gain up top, which is why I went with it. These cams definitely produce power, but perhaps they just work better with the Cobra Jet manifold. I certainly never saw a GT350 manifold test where the car lost 40 ft-lbs for nearly 6,000 RPMs.

Yeah, I hear you. I LOVE the idea of having an 8,000 RPM Mustang, so if it comes with power loss down low, then I guess I'll just have to accept it.
What tests did you see? No power loss from stock or from a tuned car with intake work?

I'm thinking about the 350IM just because it'll turn my Coyote into a more powerful version of my old M3. But then again I grew up with high revving cars and a lot of my friends that had S2000s and those were always a blast to drive. I guess if I came from a low revving big V8 background, the high RPM powerband thing would be completely new and not in line with that. So it's probably best to modify your car based off of what you want out of it.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I kept the stock springs. I believe Comp states that you don't need to replace the springs.

I do have a datalog. I don't know if a wideband was hooked up during the run as I wasn't there (I had to drop off the car); I assume that the only data being checked was what was recorded on the Ngauge. Lund stated that the stock injectors are fine, unless I wanted to run E85.

I suppose that the peak probably won't be that far off what I was expecting. I was hoping for a little over 460 rwhp (Dynojet numbers). Still seems odd to only gain ~20 hp from cams and a manifold, though... Right now my concern is more about the loss of power below 6,000 RPM. I figured it would probably lose 10-20 lb-ft of torque below 4000-4500, but from the graph it looks like it lost ~40 to nearly 5,000.

I didn't want to mess with cutting the hood or lowering the engine and losing the strut tower brace. Based on the mods the car has, it looks like the cams are the culprit for losing all the power down low, not the manifold. Yes, the CJ would be better with those cams, but hindsight is 20/20... Had it had only a small loss in power, I wound't be so concerned.
My experience with the 350 manifold has been good. Can't wait to get to the track. No low end loss. In fact IMHO feels stronger on low end than stock mani. Up top gains are significant. Love the 7750 WOT shift. Replacing the cams is a real PITA. Sorry brother.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I know, I get it. It's hard for me to say right now because it's been raining here most of the day, so I haven't really had the chance to get on it. The reason I wanted to put it on a Dynojet was because Jon Jr. at Lund thought the numbers were off. He said the data looks solid, but the numbers don't correlate to what he expected.

Regarding the tune, Lund has a great reputation and has tuned cammed S550s before, which was one reason I went with them. Could the tune be the problem? I suppose so, but I don't know if there's any other cam+350 manifold cars out there to compare it to.

There are other GT350 IM + comp cams cars.
[MENTION=24770]Dominant1[/MENTION] is one and [MENTION=28702]Saywhen[/MENTION] ?

I know there are more too but need to dig.

Look through [MENTION=28009]Evil 5.0[/MENTION]s going for 500whp NA thread.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Before I'd change anything I'd do two things.

1.) Drive around for a week or so and see if the power loss in the low to mid range actually bothers you. Forget what the dyno says, see how it feels. There are no 1/4 or 1/2 throttle races so performance #'s aren't as important as how it feels during normal driving. CEHollier and I just installed GT350 mani's on our cars, neither of us have noticed any power loss. I'm sure a dyno would pick it up, but my butt didn't. When I want to go fast I don't hang out in the 3k-5k range, I punch it. Top end is all I care about. My car is plenty fast in the low to mid range to make daily driving enjoyable. Just my 2 cents.

2.) Take it to the track and see what your trap speeds are. Peak hp is one thing, but as Beefcake said the RPM bump is also going to help.

There's always time to change things around, you've already spent a decent bit of money on this current setup. I'd make sure you're positive you're not happy with it before throwing more money at it.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I see a couple of mentions so I'll chime in, if you don't mind.

I would wait until Wednesday and see what happens on a dynojet so it is more comparable. If the numbers are still low... you may not like it, but my advice would be to sell your IM and throttlebody, someone will scoop it up real quick.

I would go with the CJ manifold with those cams, it is a proven combination. Another thing that will help with that setup is a PMAS CAI. I don't understand why people are so reluctant to trim the hood. It truly is no big deal and if done right it looks stock.

Not all cars react the same to a given combination. I remember back in the day get an intake, B303 cam and some cars would scream on it and others would lack. Don't give up on the cams, the IM is an easier fix.

I hope it works out for you and if you need anything, let me know.

Good luck.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I see a couple of mentions so I'll chime in, if you don't mind.

I would wait until Wednesday and see what happens on a dynojet so it is more comparable. If the numbers are still low... you may not like it, but my advice would be to sell your IM and throttlebody, someone will scoop it up real quick.

I would go with the CJ manifold with those cams, it is a proven combination. Another thing that will help with that setup is a PMAS CAI. I don't understand why people are so reluctant to trim the hood. It truly is no big deal and if done right it looks stock.

Not all cars react the same to a given combination. I remember back in the day get an intake, B303 cam and some cars would scream on it and others would lack. Don't give up on the cams, the IM is an easier fix.

I hope it works out for you and if you need anything, let me know.

Good luck.
Is PMAS the go-to for the CJ IM? :shrug:
Sponsored