Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

The 6.2/6.4L Hemi is an old boat anchor. It does have a Supercharger, and has a lot of upgraded components but it's still an old engine.

If I had the money I'd go for a GT350 or hold out for the GT500 over the Challenger.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Which is almost zero. I honestly don't care about anything that is coming out. The Ford GT was exciting, but that has been about it since 2015.
Lol. So basically, your argument is, I'm not excited so no one is?

Ford has some excellent products coming down the pike.

1. The '18 Mustang info was released recently and the order books show a hardcore "track pack" like package will be available. Should basically make the GT a GT350.

2. The GT500 and other Mustang variants.

3. The Ranger Raptor is going to to be badass as Ford is creating a whole new segment for themselves.

4. The new Lincoln Navigator is about to launch and it is stunning with 450HP out of the 3.5L Eco.

5. According to Ford in 2015, we're supposed to get a handful more performance vehicles before 2020 so we're waiting for those.

GM basically has.....ZR1 Corvette - Which they're being extremely silent about.
That's it.

FCA has - New platform for Challenger in 2020.
Dying Dodge and Chrysler brands...

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Now Ford also has issues. They are letting their cars die on the vine. .
They just fired Ford CEO Mark Fields because of this. http://jalopnik.com/why-mark-fields-was-fired-1795431562

Basically, the investors realize Ford is a bit stale. This is why they have been approving performance vehicles left and right. What they really need is new platforms under their existing vehicles. Ford styling is fine (except for Taurus), the vehicle dynamics and interiors need work.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
What they really need is new platforms under their existing vehicles. Ford styling is fine (except for Taurus), the vehicle dynamics and interiors need work.
I dono - the press seems to like the way the Fords drive so maybe nothing new just a good tweak here and there. And to work on interior room which always seems to be a "ding" against Ford. They do seem a bit "dated" - like they had this big new model introduction in '09-12 and then stopped. That's not good.

Nothing wrong with the styling of the Taurus. IMHO (and I'm biased) it still looks good today even after 8 years.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

1. The '18 Mustang info was released recently and the order books show a hardcore "track pack" like package will be available. Should basically make the GT a GT350.
Will not make it a GT350. What is the tires on this PP2/track pack? I doubt it matches the 295/305 stance of the GT350, and it will be sorely out-powered. The PP2/track pack will likely only overcome the GT350 in a 0-60 due to the 10-speed.

...GM basically has.....ZR1 Corvette - Which they're being extremely silent about.
That's it.

What other variants? The Bullitt has been teased and we know a GT500 is coming, but nothing is confirmed. Ford only has hot hatches apart from the Mustang GT350/GT350R right now, aka no other V8 special variant sport cars. Compare that to the following:

Chevy:
SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE
C7 Grand Sport
C7 Z06

Dodge:
Charger/Challenger Scat Pack
Charger/Challenger SRT8
Charger/Challenger TA series
Charger/Challenger Hellcat
Challenger Demon

Ford is SEVERELY lacking in the V8 market in terms of options. The GT350/GT350R is the only saving grace.

3. The Ranger Raptor is going to to be badass as Ford is creating a whole new segment for themselves.
New segment? ZR2 is already there, Ford is late to the game. Which by the way, compared favorably to the Raptor.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...vs-ford-f-150-raptor-vs-ram-2500-power-wagon/

4. The new Lincoln Navigator is about to launch and it is stunning with 450HP out of the 3.5L Eco.
Please don't bring soccer mom overpriced SUVs into the discussion. Talk about the actual Raptor, but not this.

5. According to Ford in 2015, we're supposed to get a handful more performance vehicles before 2020 so we're waiting for those.
That was with previous leadership, what will the new team decide? Seems the Fiesta ST is already axed from FNA, which is a tragedy.

EDIT: Just want to clarify, I own a GT350 and an RS, but I'm not going to try to defend the fact that we only have a GT350 and GT350R to compete with the range of Camaros, Corvettes, Challengers, Chargers, etc. that are available.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I would think a brand new "dual-injection" Coyote, with 460hp & 420tq, BASE.

Is all the marketing Ford needs.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My post was geared towards his statement about there not being any excitement for new Ford products, however, I'll go ahead and provide counterpoints to your argument.

Will not make it a GT350. What is the tires on this PP2/track pack? I doubt it matches the 295/305 stance of the GT350, and it will be sorely out-powered. The PP2/track pack will likely only overcome the GT350 in a 0-60 due to the 10-speed.
Track performance isn't all about power. There are plenty of cars that will whip a GT350 on the track which are down on power. A SS1LE, an M2, to name just a few.
As far as the PP2, that makes the GT more in line with the performance offerings from GM, which as I can tell, is making current GT350 owners very uncomfortable.

What other variants? The Bullitt has been teased and we know a GT500 is coming, but nothing is confirmed. Ford only has hot hatches apart from the Mustang GT350/GT350R right now, aka no other V8 special variant sport cars. Compare that to the following:

Chevy:
SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE
C7 Grand Sport
C7 Z06

Dodge:
Charger/Challenger Scat Pack
Charger/Challenger SRT8
Charger/Challenger TA series
Charger/Challenger Hellcat
Challenger Demon

Ford is SEVERELY lacking in the V8 market in terms of options. The GT350/GT350R is the only saving grace.
Again responding to his post about excitement, more than a Bullitt, it seems a Mach 1 would be more likely as the next special edition outside of the Shelby branded offerings. Most of the vehicles you listed are already released thus cannot contribute to future excitement.

New segment? ZR2 is already there, Ford is late to the game. Which by the way, compared favorably to the Raptor.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/2...0-power-wagon/
I said, "Ford is creating a whole new segment for themselves." (For themselves)

Please don't bring soccer mom overpriced SUVs into the discussion. Talk about the actual Raptor, but not this.
Again, responding to his point about brand excitement, the new Navigator has generated more excitement for Lincoln than any other vehicle in recent history. Even more so than the new Continental.

That was with previous leadership, what will the new team decide? Seems the Fiesta ST is already axed from FNA, which is a tragedy.

EDIT: Just want to clarify, I own a GT350 and an RS, but I'm not going to try to defend the fact that we only have a GT350 and GT350R to compete with the range of Camaros, Corvettes, Challengers, Chargers, etc. that are available.
It's doubtful that the new leadership will recant on previous commitments. That's generally not how high-profile leadership transitions work. Also, product portfolios are decided and developed YEARS in advance. Ford can't all of a sudden tell it's production lines, "Whoops, all those things you've been gearing up for, all the factories that have been being retooled, all the contracts which were made. Those are all invalid now." That's just not how business works.

Essentially, you responded without reading the context. Context is important.

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
They just fired Ford CEO Mark Fields because of this. http://jalopnik.com/why-mark-fields-was-fired-1795431562

Basically, the investors realize Ford is a bit stale. This is why they have been approving performance vehicles left and right. What they really need is new platforms under their existing vehicles. Ford styling is fine (except for Taurus), the vehicle dynamics and interiors need work.
The performance vehicles will be such a small market/$$$ for them.

It's more in general that their product lines have become stale/boring. I mean look at the changes between gens of Explorers, Escapes, Fusions, etc...they don't really make anyone excited except maybe for the new Mustang but it's such a niche market since it's 2 doors. The Mustang was a hit for them because they moved it into the future/new design that had the old but new mixed. They haven't done a good job with the rest of their products.

For example..RE: the new Bronco in 2019/20....they should take hints from the guys at Bronco6g with their renders of what they think the new Bronco should look like. That thing took the internet by storm & people loved it. What does Ford do, instead they say they are making it look like the Ford Troller, which is terrible looking, and instead of making a Bronco, they are making a Jeep clone. No 2 door version, similar traits to the Jeep when lots of people have been asking for a new gen Bronco...not a Jeep clone. I'd buy this thing if it looked this good because it screams American/Ford/Bronco.

http://www.bronco6g.com/forum/index...-ford-bronco-four-door-concept-rendering.117/

Ford is missing more of a visionary there that can give them a good direction of future products/excitement for the buyer/new buyer.

Also it takes WAAAY too long for a lot of car companies to get a product out from concept to the road. Hyundai just said that they plan on cutting their product turn around in half from concept to the road. Ford should follow suit to keep up with trends/changes.

Luc Donckerwolke, Hyundai and Genesis senior vice president of design, and former Bentley designer says that the automaker wants to cut the time from sketches to production from three years to 1.5 years. Donckerwolke revealed to Automotive News that it’s possible to cut the design process in half partly thanks to the opening of a new design studio within Hyundai Motor Group’s Namyang facility.

Last edited:

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The performance vehicles will be such a small market/$$$ for them.

It's more in general that their product lines have become stale/boring. I mean look at the changes between gens of Explorers, Escapes, Fusions, etc...they don't really make anyone excited except maybe for the new Mustang but it's such a niche market since it's 2 doors. The Mustang was a hit for them because they moved it into the future/new design that had the old but new mixed. They haven't done a good job with the rest of their products.

For example..RE: the new Bronco in 2019/20....they should take hints from the guys at Bronco6g with their renders of what they think the new Bronco should look like. That thing took the internet by storm & people loved it. What does Ford do, instead they say they are making it look like the Ford Troller, which is terrible looking, and instead of making a Bronco, they are making a Jeep clone. No 2 door version, similar traits to the Jeep when lots of people have been asking for a new gen Bronco...not a Jeep clone. I'd buy this thing if it looked this good because it screams American/Ford/Bronco.

http://www.bronco6g.com/forum/index...-ford-bronco-four-door-concept-rendering.117/

Ford is missing more of a visionary there that can give them a good direction of future products/excitement for the buyer/new buyer.
I would definitely agree on some of these points, however, I think they've made some great strides in improving their line.

I will specifically point out that I think Raj Nair has been excellent for Ford since he basically took over their product portfolio in 2012. Now that he's VP of Ford North America, I think he'll have a heavy influence on making their cars have a soul again.

Jamaal Hameedi gave us MagneRide on a Ford product, a 10-speed auto, plasma transferred wire arc thermal spraying, and an intense focus on aero and is responsible for a lot of the freedom of the GT program.

I definitely give props where props are due, but I agree they need to not lose focus and continue to develop their portfolio.

Also it takes WAAAY too long for a lot of car companies to get a product out from concept to the road. Hyundai just said that they plan on cutting their product turn around in half from concept to the road. Ford should follow suit to keep up with trends/changes.

Luc Donckerwolke, Hyundai and Genesis senior vice president of design, and former Bentley designer says that the automaker wants to cut the time from sketches to production from three years to 1.5 years. Donckerwolke revealed to Automotive News that it’s possible to cut the design process in half partly thanks to the opening of a new design studio within Hyundai Motor Group’s Namyang facility.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/30/ford-ceo-pushing-speed-to-shake-up-automaker.html

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium

GM basically has.....ZR1 Corvette - Which they're being extremely silent about.
That's it.

So, because you are exited everyone is? Shoe, meet other foot.

And a lot of supposing going on with your statements.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Found a new Video, it's in French but it's still nice to view :)

Does anybody know when the stripes will become available? I want to get some on my '18.