Not open for further replies.

jasduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package PP-3
Still, have to install my gt350 snorkel to connect to my PMAS no tune but temps drop quickly while moving. Thumbs up!
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Question, is there any advantage to cutting the grill as a complete hole versus cutting the back and using a razor to clean it up to open up the holes? Figured I would ask because once it is done, its done.

Curious as to if there is any more airflow going through the little holes versus cutting that section out completely and opening it up or are we just talking mostly aesthetics?

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Question, is there any advantage to cutting the grill as a complete hole versus cutting the back and using a razor to clean it up to open up the holes? Figured I would ask because once it is done, its done.

Curious as to if there is any more airflow going through the little holes versus cutting that section out completely and opening it up or are we just talking mostly aesthetics?
The more material you remove the more laminar the flow and the higher the velocity, the difference isnt very much but if you want to squeeze every ounce of performance out, cut it out. :headbang:

best,

D

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The more material you remove the more laminar the flow and the higher the velocity, the difference isnt very much but if you want to squeeze every ounce of performance out, cut it out. :headbang:

best,

D
That settles it then. Thanks for the fast response! I'm actually switching to a closed box CAI as well because I like the design and flow path this offers with that.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

The honeycomb offers a little bit of foreign object intrusion prevention, worthwhile for a DD, IMO. I also like how it looks myself :p. You're still opening up the cross-sectional area by more than double.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The honeycomb offers a little bit of foreign object intrusion prevention, worthwhile for a DD, IMO. I also like how it looks myself :p. You're still opening up the cross-sectional area by more than double.
Yeah, that's true as well. It is my secondary fun car after all and I do occasionally go to car shows and some fun drives. I may put in the effort to cut the back and clean it up so it looks more how it should have come from the factory with a cleaned up nice looking air duct.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's true as well. It is my secondary fun car after all and I do occasionally go to car shows and some fun drives. I may put in the effort to cut the back and clean it up so it looks more how it should have come from the factory with a cleaned up nice looking air duct.
To me it seems the easier method than dremeling all the holes out, too. You can quickly get a clean cut with a hack saw on the back.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=19602]VelossaTech[/MENTION] Air tunnels uses flow straighteners, aka the honeycomb. Same idea with the Ford grills. IMO just making a gigantic hole would slow down/stall airflow.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I cut out my entire front, upper grill, it's very easy, there's basically a cut indicator on the backside (where the material goes from textured to smooth), use a Dremel, then clean it up with a little sandpaper. Mine is clean enough that it almost looks factory.

The one part of the process that's a possible issue point: the upper side tabs that hold the fascia may ... or may not, break off. Do a search, see what people are describing (FWIW, I think if you used something like a butter knife to slightly release them vs. the usual method of just "pulling hard", they'd fare way better).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
February bump!

I'll be helping a friend & coworker with his Whipple install over the next two months. Hopefully we'll be adding a Big Mouth at the same time as we'll have the front bumper cover off.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
February bump!

I'll be helping a friend & coworker with his Whipple install over the next two months. Hopefully we'll be adding a Big Mouth at the same time as we'll have the front bumper cover off.
Nice addition to the Whipple instal. Velocity tech big mouth Ram air really works.

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
I cut out my entire front, upper grill, it's very easy, there's basically a cut indicator on the backside (where the material goes from textured to smooth), use a Dremel, then clean it up with a little sandpaper. Mine is clean enough that it almost looks factory.

The one part of the process that's a possible issue point: the upper side tabs that hold the fascia may ... or may not, break off. Do a search, see what people are describing (FWIW, I think if you used something like a butter knife to slightly release them vs. the usual method of just "pulling hard", they'd fare way better).
I followed the indicators mentioned above using a coping saw to leave the honey comb. I cleaned the holes up with an exacto knife. Retained the factory look which is what I was after. I was also able to leave the grill in the bumper cover this way.
bigmouth2.jpg

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
You bumped this thread at the perfect time, we are going to have our first dual big mouth LED light up kit put together soon.

It will have infinite color variability via bluetooth and it will come wired up and ready to tap into your 12v electrical.

Here is an example of the kit, this one isnt ours but it will be nearly identical.

shawns car

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You bumped this thread at the perfect time, we are going to have our first dual big mouth LED light up kit put together soon.

It will have infinite color variability via bluetooth and it will come wired up and ready to tap into your 12v electrical.
Fun! So this would be a lighting kit that uses the current intakes correct?

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
And does it light up the engine bay like in the second pic? Or was that additional lighting?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.