Sponsored

Anyone ever tint your own windows?

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
Wondering if it's possible to tint my own windows on a 17 GTPP and do a half decent job of it. Never tinted windows before, but I have worked with vinyl and laminates before.

Anyone tackled a tint project at home before? Results, tips, or recommendations not to do it?
Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I have with mixed results.

Must be done indoors! be darn sure the windows are spotless, even the tiniest specs will show up. Even if you do make sure they are spotless, you may find tiny specs after youve applied it. They are frequently found towards the edges. Very time consuming and I didnt even get to the back windshield with the defroster elements (finished for the night, incidentally got pulled over by state trooper the next day who wanted the tint off, never got to the rear windshield)

Bottom line....get it done professionally. Even if you have the know how, tint is cheap...maybe a few hundred bucks on a 30-40 thousand dollar car, and all worth it because if they mess up they have to fix it. If you do, you order more tint and wait for it to ship while your car looks stupid. Not worth the time IMO. Plenty of other projects to do yourself.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I tried once omg never again! Cutting it out and not crinkling it done me in...

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
It's one of those things where practice makes perfect...let the pro do it.
I did the old Mach1 decades ago, but the window were off and laid flat. Came out okay.

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
I'm a DIY guy all the way but this is one of those things that I would never want to bother with. Too many places do it with deals all the time. Not worth it IMO.

Sponsored

FLA-GTPony

5.0 User
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did mine. Let me put it mildly, I have never cussed so much in my life. That rear window was a PITA to get right. I still have a scratch in the tint in the lower passenger corner from my putty knife and basically said it will do and left it. Next time, I would pay a professional to do it.

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
I am stubborn and always DIY 99% of my projects. But window tinting is an applied art. Pay the pros ~$250 and be done with it...

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I watched a local glass shop tint mine - no way I would take that on. I'm too OCD to ever by happy with my own results.

If I recall, I paid ~ $200 for my tint. Money well spent.

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 RR Convenience
I watched the process a few times and was amazed at how messy and manual it is. I was shocked at the end that everything looked so clean and clear because it seems like some serious skill is required.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Tried it on a Silverado. Was a real pain and that was only the front door windows. Both windows had lots of air bubbles,.super tiny and not really noticeable, at the bottom. Couldn't get them out to save my life

As mentioned, indoors is a must. Any wind will make your life miserable. Once it creases, forget about it and scrap it. Grab a new piece

Another vote for taking it in. I can't imagine doing the back window

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Too tedious of a job for MOST DIYers and shade trees. Just pay the one-time price and be done with it knowing you have a lifetime warranty.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Always can tell who tried to do tint themselves and who let a professional do it. I've seen tons of cars with disasters of rear windows with bubbles all over. Here in Texas, I go for the tint with the highest heat reduction even if it doesn't go limo tint dark as the others.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I helped a friend of mine do it one time. Neither of us had any experience and the result was a disaster. Air bubbles all over the place we couldn't get out. As others have said, take it in to have it done professionally.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Not worth doing it yourself. Pay a professional shop locally to do it, for the main door windows, back 2 side windows, and rear glass, you'll find $175-300 dollars (will depend on what film they are using and usually how much competition they have in your area). It doesn't take a good pro long to do, I've typically waited on my car when doing it in the past (it can be up to a couple hours depending on speed of the person working, but most shops can do it under 2 hours). Also, most shops have a lifetime guarantee and will replace the tint if it bubbles, peels, or has issues down the road (pick a good reputable place, even if it costs more, better chances they will be in business down the road if you need replacement tint).

Mine came already tinted because it's one of the many dealer add-ons they try to screw customers with (this is probably the one I'd actually not mind paying for, but not all the other stuff they try to tag on beyond that).

Do yourself a favor and just pay someone to do it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I tried doing it with Walmart window tint on a beater daily. Looked good but took me a damn entire day to do it, it felt... then it turned purple. Haha.
Sponsored