Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

tacarlson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 track pack, triple yellow OTT stripes
If anyone recalls that when the 7 GT350s got stolen from Flat Rock in 2016, there appeared to be a test mule stolen in that group. The picture of the burnt one shows that it doesn't have the standard S550 rear wheel well flare. The flare is more pronounced and the flat above the actual wheel well is probably half of what is on the normal S550.
Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 9.06.14 PM.png
1617.jpg
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone recalls that when the 7 GT350s got stolen from Flat Rock in 2016, there appeared to be a test mule stolen in that group. The picture of the burnt one shows that it doesn't have the standard S550 rear wheel well flare. The flare is more pronounced and the flat above the actual wheel well is probably half of what is on the normal S550.
It just looks that way because there's no rocker panel or door.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I’m with you on this. I’ve been asking the same thing and no real clues. It’s likely stuff we won’t know until the car debuts or the “kill the competition” Is being severely overstated.
In fairness, though, not overstated in 2016 :doh:

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Maybe Shelby worked a deal with Ford to both use the Wide Fenders. A couple more from Shelby to add to the 500s to justify the small run? Less cost for Shelby than to have to cut up a car to weld in their own. Just a simple Part selection on the Production Line. Factory Sealed Roof and B Pillar. No Leaks or Noise.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The splitter?

With a fixed bellypan and fascia I honestly don't see how this would be possible on the upcoming GT500.

Edit: the 500 was a muscle car with some added creature comforts (trim items)... Ford will make this one turn great, IMO. It I can see them wanting to eliminate the “it scrapes everywhere” characteristic of the 350.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
With all the issues dealers have/had with getting the splitters on right and replacing them (350), I can see ford wanting to use active here.
*the splitter does have Shelby recessed into it, which leads me to believe possibly carbon composite or plastic.
just an idea

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Edit: the 500 was a muscle car with some added creature comforts (trim items)... Ford will make this one turn great, IMO. It I can see them wanting to eliminate the “it scrapes everywhere” characteristic of the 350.

The issue with the GT350/R splitters is that they are already very low. You can't go up and thus be out of trouble. The belly pan attachment points can't change without major rework. The fascia would have to be trimmed to bring the splitter up as well so that it could then go down. In other words, the GT350 issue is that the anchor points are very low and the GT500 doesn't look to have made changes here in terms of designing for an active splitter.

This would be a great solution were the front end a clean sheet.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
If they would just do the bare minimum to make a Cobra Jet street legal, there is already a factory Mustang that would kill a Demon.
It’s not as easy as you may think.

You think any chance they do a wider rear? Or just too much of a cost
Too much, millions and millions and milions... just not worth it.

Maybe Shelby worked a deal with Ford to both use the Wide Fenders. A couple more from Shelby to add to the 500s to justify the small run? Less cost for Shelby than to have to cut up a car to weld in their own. Just a simple Part selection on the Production Line. Factory Sealed Roof and B Pillar. No Leaks or Noise.
Not happening, that’s not how things work with manufacturers.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The issue with the GT350/R splitters is that they are already very low. You can't go up and thus be out of trouble. The belly pan attachment points can't change without major rework. The fascia would have to be trimmed to bring the splitter up as well so that it could then go down. In other words, the GT350 issue is that the anchor points are very low and the GT500 doesn't look to have made changes here in terms of designing for an active splitter.

This would be a great solution were the front end a clean sheet.
I understand - just bench racing. The front facia is new on the car, after all - so they certainly had the opportunity to pull this off. The bellypan could be hinged and just the front edge being an inch or two higher would go a long way towards making these cars more livable in certain locals.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm all for a higher splitter. The R splitter is just ridiculous for street driving and you're right that small elevation changes would go a long way.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
No way, there is no way a Hellcat will have MORE power than THE recently released HALO CAR from FCA running with race gas.

The Hellcat will get a bump in power for 2019, sure... but it won't be even close to the 800's (the Demon makes 808 with premium gas). I can see a "refreshed" Hellcat with 750HP, that would make sense.

Even if the new Hellcats comes with 750HP the GT500 with low/mid 700's will still beat it (Also, everything comes down to emissions... by 2020 there is a little more conservative "emissions requirements" and maybe that's the reason the GT500 won't be over the 800 mark either).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Also, everything comes down to emissions... by 2020 there is a little more conservative "emissions requirements" and maybe that's the reason the GT500 won't be over the 800 mark either.
Hopefully Trump does his job and that emissions stuff goes away. CAFE needs to be rolled back as well.

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
still trying to wrap my head around the costs of these mustangs...
Sponsored